• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Layer Break Problem with CloneDVD

gaak

I've seen a reference or two in these forums to a layer break removal problem with CloneDVD2 with certain discs. I have experinced this problem with at least two discs so far: "Meet the Robinson's" R1 and "The Invisible" also R1. I emailed Elby support and was surprised to find they are not aware of the problem. If anyone else has run into this problem I ask that you send an email to Elby Support at support (at) elby.ch with all the information you can provide. Thank you.

I've seen a reference or two in these forums to a layer break removal problem with CloneDVD2 with certain discs. I have experinced this problem with at least two discs so far: "Meet the Robinson's" R1 and "The Invisible" also R1. I emailed Elby support and was surprised to find they are not aware of the problem. If anyone else has run into this problem I ask that you send an email to Elby Support at support (at) elby.ch with all the information you can provide. Thank you.

It is not a "problem" per se, it is just the way CloneDVD handles the layer break. CloneDVD does not generally place the layer break in the same location as the original. It is applied at the end of a chapter. Depending on where it is in the movie, it may be more noticeable than the original. If you are wanting the layer break to be in the exact same location, use CloneCD. It will do a 1:1 back-up keeping everything exactly as the original. You must use Dual/Double layer media when backing up a Dual/Double layer disc using CloneCD as a result.

It is not a "problem" per se, it is just the way CloneDVD handles the layer break.

Actually, I believe there is an issue where the layer break isn't removed at all with certain discs.

Actually, I believe there is an issue where the layer break isn't removed at all with certain discs.

THANK YOU! I have been trying to get Elby (by email) to understand what you have just said but they refuse to accept delivery. All I get is an explanation of the difference between DVD-5s and 9s and that CloneDVD2 copies the discs and where it puts it's new layer break. I saw the problem with "Meet the Robinsons" and "The Invisible" both R1. What can I do to get Elby to understand there is a problem?

THANK YOU! I have been trying to get Elby (by email) to understand what you have just said but they refuse to accept delivery. All I get is an explanation of the difference between DVD-5s and 9s and that CloneDVD2 copies the discs and where it puts it's new layer break. I saw the problem with "Meet the Robinsons" and "The Invisible" both R1. What can I do to get Elby to understand there is a problem?

Well, in all honesty, I asked James several weeks ago to please explain this situation to Elby, precisely because I didn't want to have to bother trying to persuade Elaborate Bytes that an issue exists. But James has been very busy lately, so I don't know if he has had the opportunity or chance to inform Elaborate Bytes. Obviously they are going to listen to James before listening to some end-user like me; I'm probably some noob in their eyes.

Last edited:
Well, in all honesty, I asked James several weeks ago to please explain this situation to Elby, precisely because I didn't want to have to bother trying to persuade Elaborate Bytes that an issue exists. But James has been very busy lately, so I don't know if he has had the opportunity or chance to inform Elaborate Bytes. Obviously they are going to listen to James before listening to some end-user like me; I'm probably some noob in their eyes.

Thanks again, Webslinger. Let's hope James is able to persuade them (when time permits, of course).

Last edited:
You can add "Ratatouille" R1 to the list.

I just tried to backup this movie, is this a layer break problem (sorry never seen one before) at chapter 16 around the 62nd minute Louise's scene repeats 3 times before moving to the next scene. I was able to finally do it by using anydvd ripper with deep scan to the hard drive then used dvd shrink, no problems with that scene.

I just tried to backup this movie, is this a layer break problem (sorry never seen one before) at chapter 16 around the 62nd minute Louise's scene repeats 3 times before moving to the next scene. I was able to finally do it by using anydvd ripper with deep scan to the hard drive then used dvd shrink, no problems with that scene.

The A.I. scanner should be at default. But Clonedvd on that disc (in the log) reports that it didn't remove the layer break. Whether that's affecting anyone . . . I have no idea. However, no one is reporting a scene repeating 3 times.

Last edited:
What is if the layerbreak could not been removed. Will there be two layerbreaks at the copy? (I am asking this because I do not know whether there are layerbreaks on a copy or solely on original DVD's...):confused:

What is if the layerbreak could not been removed. Will there be two layerbreaks at the copy? (I am asking this because I do not know whether there are layerbreaks on a copy or solely on original DVD's...):confused:

If you use a single layer disc, you may notice a slight pause about halfway through the movie. I'm not sure what will happen if you use a double layer disc with Clonedvd and encounter this bug, since I only use Clonecd with double layer discs.

If you use a single layer disc, you may notice a slight pause about halfway through the movie. I'm not sure what will happen if you use a double layer disc with Clonedvd and encounter this bug, since I only use Clonecd with double layer discs.

O.K. thx...
Maybe somebody else (technician) who can give a good answer?

They are aware of the problem, and I believe it will be fixed (or at least improved) in the next release.

"Santa Clause 3" R1 has the problem.

Last edited:
Layer break problem

I just purchased Clone DVD. I have used AnyDVD for a couple of years. The
first backup copy I made was "Hairspray". The burned disc had a 3 second
freeze between chapter 7 and 8. I'm assuming that is where the layer break
was moved to. I am very disappointed in the results. I was able to burn
this movie by ripping a file to the hard drive-running the resulting file through
FixVTS-using Shrink-then burning with Imgburn. This method resulted in a
clean burn.

I just purchased Clone DVD. I have used AnyDVD for a couple of years. The
first backup copy I made was "Hairspray". The burned disc had a 3 second
freeze between chapter 7 and 8. I'm assuming that is where the layer break
was moved to. I am very disappointed in the results. I was able to burn
this movie by ripping a file to the hard drive-running the resulting file through
FixVTS-using Shrink-then burning with Imgburn. This method resulted in a
clean burn.

Did you use Anydvd 6.2.0.1?

By the way, fixvts should be unnecessary. Just right-click the red fox icon on your toolbar and select "rip video-dvd to hard drive". I'm fairly certain Anydvd isn't introducing pause.

Last edited:
I used AnyDVD 6.2.0.1. I burned on a TY -R 8X disc at 4X speed and had
nothing else running while I was doing it.

I used AnyDVD 6.2.0.1. I burned on a TY -R 8X disc at 4X speed and had
nothing else running while I was doing it.

Okay, thank you.

Anyway, James said the Elaborate Byte developers are working on this problem.

Back