• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

SlySoft Media Player

Nobody in this thread seems to have gotten this important part yet.
AnyDVD already does all the decryption work.
All we need is a player that can play NON-encrypted HD media.

This doesnt require any licenses, all it has to do is decompress.
The same as any dvd player software can play unencrypted MPEG2 on a dvd without a CSS license.

Nobody in this thread seems to have gotten this important part yet.
AnyDVD already does all the decryption work.
All we need is a player that can play NON-encrypted HD media.

This doesnt require any licenses, all it has to do is decompress.
The same as any dvd player software can play unencrypted MPEG2 on a dvd without a CSS license.

Even then, certain licenses may be required. BD-J, for one... whatever the HD-DVD equivalent of that is.

HD DVD does'nt have a eqivelent

Blu-Ray has AACS & BD+
HD DVD just has AACS

Not BD+, BD-J... the Java implementation for interactive content on Blu-Ray; and HD-DVD does have some equivalent to that, I'm just not sure what it's called.

Not BD+, BD-J... the Java implementation for interactive content on Blu-Ray; and HD-DVD does have some equivalent to that, I'm just not sure what it's called.

I believe it is called HDi for HD-DVD or Advanced Navigation.

Okay, I hate speculatory threads, so I'll just point out one thing. If you have an unlicenced player that's fine, except that it must crack DRM on its own - that makes it illegal anywhere where doing so is (such as the US). It also means you can't use the corporate logos. But in principle you can do it, it's essentially the same as the AnyDVD product - it isn't licenced to decrypt the data, but it does.

a media player from slysoft????
no chance, the film industry would never give slysoft a license for blu-ray and hd-dvd playback!

regards

a media player from slysoft????
no chance, the film industry would never give slysoft a license for blu-ray and hd-dvd playback!

regards

they didn't give us a license to decrypt AACS either, so this isn't a reason not to do it... :)

As I already posted in another thread I too would love a softwareplayer from Slysoft. It would be much more solid than the crappy PowerDVD. I would pay lets say 70-90 bucks for it.

Yea sorry its HDi (I had just finished a night shift not with it)

great :D

i would buy it,too.
if slysoft release a mediaplayer in the future, please don't forget MediaCenter Support! This would be a great feature! I miss this function in powerdvd ultra :-(

So I guess the real question is: How much, if anything, does licensing HDi and/or BD-J cost?

they didn't give us a license to decrypt AACS either, so this isn't a reason not to do it... :)

exactly, so can you guys do it, now that pwdvd is restricting playback from the HDD with its new patches, it makes movie servers useless, unless we can use the old versions of pwdvd,

So I guess the real question is: How much, if anything, does licensing HDi and/or BD-J cost?
It ain't free but those who know the correct number won't talk...:)

If you are talking about buying a license for HD/BD playback, you're looking at
-MPEG-2
-H.264
-VC-1
-AC3
-DTS
-DD+
-DTS HR
-TrueHD (lossless)
-DTS MA (lossless)
-AACS
-BD+
-HDi
-BD-J

From this list it is known, that the MPEG-2 license is $2.50, AC3 is around $1, VC-1 and H.264 is under $1
and the lossless versions of DD/DTS are free if you license the non-lossless versions.

It adds up...

Diogen.

Years ago, a games machine manufacturer - possibly Sega but I cannot remember - produced games cartridges where some essential (and copyrighted) code for the os to function was embedded in each games cartridge. The idea being that you needed a licence from them to manufacture games that would play on their machines. And my recollection is that people made two into one adaptors so you could connect both an authorised game and an "unauthorised" game into the cartridge slot at the same time.

The result was that the "unauthorised" game would play, because the code they needed a licence for but didn't have could be utilised somehow from the authorised games cartridge that was sitting there.

Now the thought arises whether it is possible to somehow create a program (whether for making back up copies or playing back content) which somehow grabs, "borrows", or uses in some way, code out of a licensed player which is also installed on the same hdd.

Just a thought and it might be a fanciful impossibility.

Interesting. Does this work .evo files containing multiple video streams (U-Control or similar)?

Good question. The few times I had it semi-working I honestly never tried to change streams/views. It's an awkward process at best, but I should try it again.

and the lossless versions of DD/DTS are free if you license the non-lossless versions.

That's surprising. I'm not sure about DTS, but I was looking at the Surcode MLP encoder for Minnetonka; and it's incredibly expensive... you'd think the license for TrueHD decoding, which uses MLP, would cost something.

Last edited:
Back