• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

SlySoft Media Player

hotdog453

I decided something today:

PowerDVD is worthless. WinDVD 8 is horrid. Nero is a pile of crap.

What Slysoft needs to do is simple: Create a player. Give us a player.

AnyDVD is the bomb; it does what no one else can. But in all playback situations, it's saddled with the weakest sacks of crap for software ever made by man.

So, how about it Slysoft? Got a player in the works? I highly doubt it, but hey... a man can dream.

i was thinking the same thing, how hard would it be, even if it just played unencrypted media, or just backups

Heh, I doubt it'll come to fruition, but it's always struck me as funny: Without AnyDVD, PowerDVD/whichever software package would be worthless to a multitude of people; no HDCP card/display? Sucks to be you, PowerDVD is worthless.

But then you add AnyDVD: but guess what, you still have to use the horrible abortion of a program from the depths of Cyberlink's labs, or, oh, WinDVD 8. Yeah. Much better choice.

*tear*

There's just no love for PowerDVD these days. :disagree::D

I will say that I don't think it's entirely Cyberlink's fault. They're stuck with AACS which is forcing them to change keys and re-write their code on a quarterly basis. The whole HD disk situation is just a screwed up mess.

There's just no love for PowerDVD these days. :disagree::D

They do seem to be actively trying to disallow the fixes AnyDVD HD provides when HDCP compliance is reported (correctly or erroneously) as negative.

i was thinking the same thing, how hard would it be, even if it just played unencrypted media, or just backups

That's my question: They could totally ignore AACS. Just give me good playback of .EVO and .TS files, and playbacks of decrypted discs. Make it so it simply wouldn't work w/o AnyDVD; who cares?

But, then again: I know nothing of programming, so... I'm sure it's more difficult.

They do seem to be actively trying to disallow the fixes AnyDVD HD provides when HDCP compliance is reported (correctly or erroneously) as negative.

Yea, if it turns out that they are intentionally breaking AnyDVD and HDD playback then I'll be feeling less forgiving toward them.

To get back on topic, although writing a player to play non-AACS titles is certainly do-able, it's not trivial given all the special functions on those disks. I'd certainly like to see it happen though.

Last edited:
The thing to keep in mind is not just the tricky navigation and commands found in these files, but also the decoders for the different audio and video formats. I think that open source software will soon be at this stage, possibly quicker than if Slysoft were to try to build all this stuff from scratch (unless they were to use the existing open source decoder code).

I will say that I don't think it's entirely Cyberlink's fault. They're stuck with AACS which is forcing them to change keys and re-write their code on a quarterly basis. The whole HD disk situation is just a screwed up mess.

I understand what you are saying and I like to give people the benefit of the doubt also. But Cyberlink does not have to go out of their way to make things difficult for HTPC users. Was it AACS that made them release this latest patch that actively forbids the running of AnyDVD. Was it AACS that made them incorrectly flag compliant HDCP equipment so that you HAVE to use AnyDVD to play high def media. Was it AACS that says that the software can't play back ripped movies. That means that possible alot of home made high def movies won't play back because of that nonsense. Did they bother to tell the studios that they would be alienating pretty much 99 percent of their customer base by making it so difficult to play hd media.

Just cut the shit and release software that correctly plays back encrypted media. As for unencrypted (ripped) media. Cyberlink should have nothing to do with that. Cyberlink exists to provide a media player, not additional encryption schemes for free. And that is what they should tell the studios. The studios make too much money off of media enthusiasts. I am confident they wouldn't go any where. What are they going to do, create their own player. We've seen how well they put together software.:disagree:

Well, I'd gladly buy a player that works, and PDVDU is no longer such a player. If SlySoft built it, I'd be confident enough to purchase it at version 1.0. Just keep the price in double-digits, please. ;)

Well, I'd gladly buy a player that works, and PDVDU is no longer such a player. If SlySoft built it, I'd be confident enough to purchase it at version 1.0. Just keep the price in double-digits, please. ;)

Well, if Slysoft did develop some kind of player, I doubt the people licensing AACS would allow the company to purchase the necessary keys (or whatever you need) to create an authorized player, lol... considering Slysoft's primary efforts in undermining their work.

However, an *un*official Blu-Ray/HD-DVD/media player designed to work specifically under AnyDVD's counteracting of the DRM would be pretty cool.

I don't think it is such a great idea.
Everybody should do what they do best and for Slysoft it is protection removal.

Die hard HTPC users (AnyDVD's main market, I believe) already have their favorite player (ZoomPlayer and TheaterTek for me) it would be hard to plaease them...

What maybe could've been done is to offer companies writing those player an easy "hook" to make AnyDVD as an integral part of them.

Diogen.

Die hard HTPC users (AnyDVD's main market, I believe) already have their favorite player (ZoomPlayer and TheaterTek for me) it would be hard to plaease them...

Zoomplayer and TheaterTek may be fine solutions for HTPCs based around DVD playback, but someone has yet to introduce a properly-functioning player for the HD formats, and that's the main drive behind people wanting an attempt at it from Slysoft.

...but someone has yet to introduce a properly-functioning player for the HD formats...
If you believe DVD-Jon (I do), all these systems (CSS, ACSS, BD+) are introduced with 1 purpose only - limit the number of players.

Just as a reminder, if you built a legit player for the latest formats and you player is hacked, you can be fined 8 million dollars.
This is what makes ZP and TT authors not even think about going there. They can't afford liability insurance for this amount.

Diogen.

EDIT: If BD+ is hacked and both, AACS and BD+ stay hacked, in 6-12 months we'll see codecs developed for the raw
audio/video streams and it will be pretty much the same as DVD playback. Not clear what audio watermarking will bring.

Last edited:
If you believe DVD-Jon (I do), all these systems (CSS, ACSS, BD+) are introduced with 1 purpose only - limit the number of players.

It's a pity they can't focus on trying to make these formats actually appealing for consumers to buy instead of needlessly frustrating the hell out of us all. Since I assume they want the thing to succeed, it seems kind of counter-productive to limit the ability of so many of their customers to even watch the content, lol.

Just as a reminder, if you built a legit player for the latest formats and you player is hacked, you can be fined 8 million dollars.

How is this "fine" legally enforceable? It seems akin to fining AT&T for someone making crank calls...

In their (studios') ideal world, everything is pay-per-view, i.e. you pay every time you watch something. First time or tenth time. You own nothing. Have you noticed how HD/BD movies are called software, that is licensed, not sold.

There is no way to get there without having complete control over players...

We don't believe that will happen, ever. But I don't think they got the memo yet... :)

Diogen.

How is this "fine" legally enforceable?
AVS discussed it over a year ago.
IIRC, the AACS license requires you to make every effort to prevent the hack from happening.
Here is the funny part: AACS LA is deciding whether this was fulfilled...:)

DIogen.

Back