• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Rip Video DVD to Harddisk... as ISO

Absolutely, yes.

EDIT: At the moment, we recommend CloneCD for the job.

The problem I have with CloneCD is two fold....you can use it with the .DVD format that it creates and splits the files and that's all fine and good. That'll keep LB information on DVD's. However, I want ISOs(which I know, they are and you just combine them etc) and you can't keep LB information if you output to ISO. I know this discussion is about HD discs, but, I gotta say I'm in favor AnyDVD HD outputting ISO for both DVD and HD formats. Unless you want to change the behavior of CloneCD which would be fine.

What about it? It's not a Slysoft product. It's great, and I use it, but, I think the point was that we'd like AnyDVD HD to do it and/or change the way CloneCD does it.

What about it? It's not a Slysoft product. It's great, and I use it, but, I think the point was that we'd like AnyDVD HD to do it and/or change the way CloneCD does it.

Yes very true, I just was merely mentioning it. I am sure clone product will support it eventually.

ImgBurn is definitely a fine way to go. It's just that people would rather Slysoft create their own solution. As for clonecd, it technically does support ISO format. When you create a .DVD image, it's in reality an ISO that's broken up into different segments and the .DVD file puts them together. AFAIK, only Virtual CloneDrive can mount those. I know Daemon Tools isn't able to...at least I don't know how to get it to do so. Now, when you create the image, you can also select ISO as the output and that will create a large ISO image, but, you lose the LB information on a DVD9. This is less than ideal. Nor is there a way to persist the option to always create ISO instead of .DVD. I could deal with the LB issue if it could have an option to always output as ISO, but, I often forget to change it before ripping. So, I end up using ImgBurn. Which works great and is a brilliant piece of software, but, it would be easier to have a Slysoft product deal with it.

What about imgburn?

I use it. I used to use DVD Decrypter until imgburn. I donated $30 since it's great. I love the way Lightning UK designs software. :clap: :bowdown: It basically made every other "solution" look rediculous at the time and it seems it's the basis for a lot of other software that rippped it off.

"I think the point was that we'd like AnyDVD HD to do it and/or change the way CloneCD does it. "

yes but no /or, at least AnyDVD HD. If you're going to do ripping, ISO has to be obvious.

I use it. I used to use DVD Decrypter until imgburn. I donated $30 since it's great. I love the way Lightning UK designs software. :clap: :bowdown: It basically made every other "solution" look rediculous at the time and it seems it's the basis for a lot of other software that rippped it off.

"I think the point was that we'd like AnyDVD HD to do it and/or change the way CloneCD does it. "

yes but no /or, at least AnyDVD HD. If you're going to do ripping, ISO has to be obvious.

What I would like CloneCD to do is to do the same as Imgburn. I got worried the first time I used clonecd as there were like 6 little files. It would be nice if there was just the one big file and then the layerbreak info.

Just my thoughts. I only use Imgburn just to burn only myself.

Since this topic covers isos, i got an interesting question: I created an iso of a Fox BD+ Bluray with imgburn with anydvd disabled. Then i mounted the iso, enabled anydvd, which told me aacs was removed from the iso. Then i ripped the files from the iso with anydvd and surprise, the ripped movie plays perfectly in PowerDVD (not the m2ts, thats still garbage cause of BD+). So since i can rip the movie from the iso i created and it plays fine doesn't that suggest that imgburn creates a perfect copy of the Bluray including the aacs and BD+ protections?
I can't test if the movie plays directly from the iso since my system isnt compliant.

Not exactly, no. There's more to it than that. The ISO is missing certain things that PowerDVD would require in order to decrypt the disc. However, because AnyDVD contains a database of title keys, it can decrypt it for you assuming the key is in the database. So, it's close to a perfect image, but, not quite.

Since this topic covers isos, i got an interesting question: I created an iso of a Fox BD+ Bluray with imgburn with anydvd disabled. Then i mounted the iso, enabled anydvd, which told me aacs was removed from the iso. Then i ripped the files from the iso with anydvd and surprise, the ripped movie plays perfectly in PowerDVD (not the m2ts, thats still garbage cause of BD+). So since i can rip the movie from the iso i created and it plays fine doesn't that suggest that imgburn creates a perfect copy of the Bluray including the aacs and BD+ protections?
I can't test if the movie plays directly from the iso since my system isnt compliant.

With all due respect to the imgburn and its creator, Lighting UK, I highly doubt the copy is perfect. Is it good enough to rip? Yes. Is it 1-to-1? No.

Peer had explained why it is not even possible in a few posts here and there.

With all due respect to the imgburn and its creator, Lighting UK, I highly doubt the copy is perfect. Is it good enough to rip? Yes. Is it 1-to-1? No.

Peer had explained why it is not even possible in a few posts here and there.

Due to the nature of how AACS encryption works, it's impossible to have an image that contains ALL the information to recreate the title key. At least with current ISO formats. (Although that information could theoretically be added to an MDS type descriptor file similar to how the layer break information is added....maybe) But then whatever you mount it with would also have to understand how to apply that new MDS information. At least, this is my understanding. I could be seriously wrong. The other issue is that I BELIEVE the drive itself has its own key. So, a virtual drive would have to have its own key to complete this idea. I think. :)

I had a couple of BD+ discs that I had archived as iso's (FF4_ROSS and Mr. Brooks). I had created them on my PC which contains my BD reader and then transferred them over to my HTPC. I was able to mount them in a virtual drive using Daemon Tools and then rip them to the hard drive using AnyDVD HD 6.1.9.5. The ripped files played perfectly in Power DVD 3104a so apparently the keys necessary for decryption are kept intact. I also didn't have to shut down AnyDVD HD during playback.

I had a couple of BD+ discs that I had archived as iso's (FF4_ROSS and Mr. Brooks). I had created them on my PC which contains my BD reader and then transferred them over to my HTPC. I was able to mount them in a virtual drive using Daemon Tools and then rip them to the hard drive using AnyDVD HD 6.1.9.5. The ripped files played perfectly in Power DVD 3104a so apparently the keys necessary for decryption are kept intact. I also didn't have to shut down AnyDVD HD during playback.

yep! here too...

Just as a courtesy in case anyone will go look for v6.1.9.5, it's still at 6.1.9.3

I think you may have misunderstood what I wrote. Yes, AnyDVD HD will in fact decrypt the ISO because it has the title keys for those particular discs. However, it will NOT decrypt ISOs for which the keys are not already known. This means that the "necessary keys for decryption" are not in fact kept in tact in the ISO. The reason it works is because AnyDVD HD already knows how to decrypt those particular titles.

I don't believe I understand this. Are you saying that AnyDVD doesn't actually figure anything out when it unlocks a DVD, it just simply recognizes the title and applies the key from its database to it? Wouldn't that differ from the way DVD Decrypter or imgburn works?

In order to understand this fully you need to know how AACS encryption works. It's not just ONE key and you're done. There are multiple keys that are used to get to the underlying title key that ultimately decrypts the disc. This should help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Access_Content_System

Specifically this part:

Decryption Process

To view the movie, the player must first decrypt the content on the disk. The decryption process is somewhat convoluted. The disk contains 4 items -- the Media Key Block (MKB), the Volume ID, the Encrypted Title Keys, and the Encrypted Content. The MKB is encrypted in a subset difference tree approach. Essentially, a set of keys are arranged in a tree such that any given key can be used to find every other key except its parent keys. This way, to revoke a given device key, the MKB needs only be encrypted with that device key's parent key.

Once the MKB is decrypted, it provides the Media Key, or the Km. The Km is combined with the Volume ID (which the program can only get by presenting a cryptographic certificate to the drive, as described above) in a one-way encryption scheme (AES-G) to produce the Volume Unique Key (Kvu). The Kvu is used to decrypt the encrypted title keys, and that is used to decrypt the encrypted content.

So, AnyDVD HD knows the title key when you mount the ISO image. It CAN'T "figure anything out" at that point because the ISO does not contain the necessary information to decrypt the title key. Remember, we're not talking about standard DVD's here. We're talking about HD discs. AACS is far more involved than cracking CSS.

Back