• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Ripped Blu ray won't play 5.1

ilyo

Ripped a couple of Blu rays that I bought and when I play them back the picture is perfect...however it does not appear to be playing back 5.1 audio.

When I have the original disc in the player on my PC and I play it through WinDVD...my AV receiver clearly indicates that it is receiving a 5.1 audio source. However, when I play the ripped blu ray through powerdvd the player only ever shows stereo. I have the information window up on powerdvd it indicates Dolby TureHD 5.1 under audio...but that is not what is being sent. I tried playing ripped file from hard drive using windvd and it simply crashes.

Any ideas how I can get the ripped version to do 5.1?

Thanks

Anydvd HD 6.1.9.3
Powerdvd 7.3 Ultra

Blu Ray Won't Play 5.1

This is not an issue with the ripped data. Basically, your reciever is not capable of decoding the Dolby TrueHD stream and so reverts to stereo. What you need to do is to explicitly select the Dolby Digital Plus stream from the menu on the ripped file. This will decode as 5.1 surround on recievers that are not capable of decoding TrueHD.

I speak from experience as the "Talk To Me" HD DVD did the same thing until I figured out what was going on. Maybe next year my wife will let me buy a high definition reciever:D

Blu Ray Won't Play 5.1

Most receivers today cannot decode the new High Definition audio format using a S/PDIF digital connection. You can only output via an analog connection using the 6 analog connections to the back of your receiver. There should be at least six analog input connections on your receiver marked LF,RF,RR,LR,CTR, and Sub. If your audio card hard has these analog connections, you can stream them to your receiver for correct Dolby Digital HD, DTS HD audio playback. Inexpensive way to get HD audio without upgrading to an expensive receiver. Also had problems with PowerDVDHD crashing after I added a new audio card so I would have S/PDIF output. Found out it was a problem with the new audio cards driver installation. Found that I had to install my audio card drivers before installing PowerDVDHD. Crashing was eliminated. Let us know how you make out.

Last edited:
Tested and no go. Cycled through all the audio streams on Spidey 3 and all showed as stereo.

Thx tho...any other ideas?

Most receivers today cannot decode the new High Definition audio format using a S/PDIF digital connection. You can only output via an analog connection using the 6 analog connections to the back of your receiver. There should be at least six analog input connections on your receiver marked LF,RF,RR,LR,CTR, and Sub. If your audio card hard has these analog connections, you can stream them to your receiver for correct Dolby Digital HD, DTS HD audio playback. Inexpensive way to get HD audio without upgrading to an expensive receiver. Also had problems with PowerDVDHD crashing after I added a new audio card so I would have S/PDIF output. Found out it was a problem with the new audio cards driver installation. Found that I had to install my audio card drivers before installing PowerDVDHD. Crashing was eliminated. Let us know how you make out.

Using Sony laptop with HDMI out. If I play the disc, the full DTS/Dolby 5.1 audio is seen by the receiver no problem! If I play the ripped version...only stereo...even though powerdvd recognizes the different audio streams in the hard drive version.

Blu Ray Won't Play 5.1

Using Sony laptop with HDMI out. If I play the disc, the full DTS/Dolby 5.1 audio is seen by the receiver no problem! If I play the ripped version...only stereo...even though powerdvd recognizes the different audio streams in the hard drive version.
Do you have S/PDIF selected for audio on PowerDVD. I had to change my setting from 2 channel "default setting" to S/PDIF in my PowerDVD audio settings after installing PowerDVD to output 5.1 and DTS.

I can confirm that Spiderman 3 plays in 2 channel. There is uncompressed and TruHD. It does not appear to have Dolby Digital for the movie. The Sony Intro is DD, the menu's are DD + 2CH, but the movie itself in the default setting is 2 CH stereo. HDMI should not make a difference.

There isn't a DTS audio stream on the original... I would start the movie with your receiver off, then turn it on while the actual movie is playing and see if it still sees it?

The only other thing I can think of is the audio driver on the Sony is converting one of the audio streams to dts similar to the Toshiba A2 HDDVD player, or to DD on the Tosh A3 player.

Last edited:
Apparently the issue is PowerDVD. When I play a disc using WinDVD BD for Vaio...it broadcasts 5.1 no problem. When I use Powerdvd to play disc or ripped to drive movie...only 2 ch. Unfortunately, WinDVD does not play backed up movies...it crashes right away.

Any ideas, on how I can force the powerdvd to push 5.1 out my HDMI?

Thanks!

Yeah, Power DVD seems to be the weakest link, no doubt.
I'm having issues running SPDIF and 5.1 at all right now.
I remember it used to work at the beginning. But it reinstalled my set up a couple of times now so I don't know how I can get it to work...:(

I can select SPDIF as an output but the other options below are greyed and I can't select them.

Edit:
Just fixed it.
The problems must have been the Power DVD Version used.
Had 3319 and another version which didn't work. They weren't either showin SPDIF or had no sound.
Now installed 3104a and it seems to work for me now. During the films there is now a register called Audio which for some reason disappered with the other version during movie playback.....
We'll never know. Ufortunately, Power DVD is the only reasonable software solution for PC users right now.....

Last edited:
Apparently the issue is PowerDVD. When I play a disc using WinDVD BD for Vaio...it broadcasts 5.1 no problem. When I use Powerdvd to play disc or ripped to drive movie...only 2 ch. Unfortunately, WinDVD does not play backed up movies...it crashes right away.

Any ideas, on how I can force the powerdvd to push 5.1 out my HDMI?

Thanks!

Have you installed the HDMI audio device correctly? My ATI card had a seperate device in the device manager which I had to find out first.
Otherwise you might try using SPDIF connection or might try a different Power DVD version (see other post from me).

Back