• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AC3 and/or DTS audio choices. Which to choose?

videobruce

With movies that have both types of audio tracks and unchecking one makes the difference between fitting the whole movie on a single DVD or not (without adding additional compression) does it matter which one is unchecked?

IOWs', is one more compatable than the other when it comes to older audio receivers (plain stereo for example) and TVs'?

AC-3 is more compatibe in general, but if you have a DTS decoder I'd leave that one, as the DTS mix tends to be a bit richer sounding on many DVDs. If not, though, go with the AC-3. I'm pretty sure any DVD player will output a downmixed AC-3 when it's got a 5.1 track to work with, but that won't happen with DTS.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure any DVD player will output a downmixed AC-3 when it's got a 5.1 track to work with, but that won't happen with DTS.
"that won't happen with DTS"??
Explain. :confused:

"that won't happen with DTS"??
Explain. :confused:

None of my DVD players ever seemed to do it, anyway. They don't have any built-in decoding ability for DTS. Dolby Digital, on the other hand, is mandatory in the DVD-Video standard so all players need to have at least some ability to work with that format. DTS was left as optional, so while some players may have the ability to decode or downmix it, most models likely wouldnt include it.

Besides, it really is alot better buying a seperate decoder/receiver than a DVD player with integrated decoding.

Last edited:
If it is a older or cheaper DVD player and you only have DTS checked, what happens then?

If it is a older or cheaper DVD player and you only have DTS checked, what happens then?

If, when you say "only have DTS checked" you mean that you're only keeping that audio track in CloneDVD, then the odds are you won't get any sound when you play the disc on your player.

You'd have to check your DVD player to see whether or not it supports DTS decoding.

Back