• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AnyDVD 6.1.1.4 is unable to crack all CSS keys on this disk

eminenz

For the first time I got the above error message. It continues:

AnyDVD will guess the correct CSS Key, but it is possible that one or more titles on this disc will not play correctly.
You can check the AnyDVD CSS key archive from the AnyDVD settings window.
NOTE: To avoid this message in the future, you should set your drive region code to match the region of this disc.

My drive is set for R1, the disc is R2. Any solutions?
Thanks!

AnyDVD will guess the correct CSS Key, but it is possible that one or more titles on this disc will not play correctly.
NOTE: To avoid this message in the future, you should set your drive region code to match the region of this disc.

Thanks!
Does the disc play correctly on your PC with AnyDVD enabled? If yes, ignore the message. You can makr the key in the CSS key archive as correct, so you won't see this message again.

thanks for your prompt reply.
since the dvd appeared to play correctly on my pc, i tried to copy it anyway.
AnyDVD first tried to repair the disc structure, but apparently was unable to do so. When I tried to copy the disc, the process interrupted with an error message,
You`ll find the log below. Shall I submit it to tech support?
BTW, the dvd in question is "Master of the House," a BFI release (R2). The cover says the dvd features Macrovision. But it's a very modest (silent) film - I can't imagine they used particularly sophisticated methods of protection.
Thanks again!

===
Error log
I 11:10:24 Processing started
D CloneDVDVersion: 2.9.0.3
D Location of layer break failed
D TCEngineConfig:
D inputPath: E:/VIDEO_TS
D outputPath: K:/clonedvd/dreyer master of the house/VIDEO_TS
D replacementVOBsPath: C:\Program Files\Elaborate Bytes\CloneDVD2\eraser
D CloneConfig:
D targetVOBBlocks: 2288777
D remux: 0
D noStreams: 0
D RemasteringConfig:
D TitleConfig:
D title: 1
D angle: 1
D chapters: 1 to 1
D streams.audio: 00000000
D streams.subpicture: 00000000000000000000000000000000
D TitleConfig:
D title: 2
D chapters: 1 to 10
D streams.audio: 00000001
D streams.subpicture: 00000000000000000000000000000000
D TitleConfig:
D title: 3
D streams.subpicture: 00000000000000000000000000000001
D TitleConfig:
D title: 4
D TitleConfig:
D title: 5
D chapters: 1 to 16
D firstPlay: 4
D menus: 1
D supportStreamAutoSelection: 1
D filterUnreferredCells: 1
D tcArgs:
D samples: 5
D stats: 0
D scanOnly: 0
D pictureExtraction: 1
D DVDCompilerConfig:
D ecc: 0
E 11:10:28 Processing stopped: unexpected error
D Error details: NavigationPack 0 VOBU 4 2859 270 Clone 6 TCE

thanks for your prompt reply.
since the dvd appeared to play correctly on my pc, i tried to copy it anyway.
AnyDVD first tried to repair the disc structure, but apparently was unable to do so. When I tried to copy the disc, the process interrupted with an error message,
You`ll find the log below. Shall I submit it to tech support?
Did you let CloneDVD finish the repair process or did you abort?
You must let it finish all the way through.
You could try to use the AnyDVD ripper as well.

thanks so much, again, james, for your incredibly fast reply.
i did not interrupt the repair process, but if i remember correctly, it gave an error message before completion. i ignored it and tried to clone anyway - and that ended in failure.
should i submit this to tech support?
thanks again!

nm. James' advice is what you should follow.

Last edited:
thanks so much, again, james, for your incredibly fast reply.
i did not interrupt the repair process, but if i remember correctly, it gave an error message before completion. i ignored it and tried to clone anyway - and that ended in failure.
should i submit this to tech support?
thanks again!
No, they would just tell you to set your drive to Region 2.
Do you have a friend with a region free drive, who could tell you the correct CSS Key?
You could import this key and try again.
You could also try to find a region free firmware for your drive.
You could spend 20 bucks for a simple DVD Rom drive and set it to region 2.

Thanks again, for the third and last or second-to-last time, James.
Your helpfulness has been astounding. Can I also turn to you for advice on relationship issues, taxes, or culinary matters?
:bowdown:
So happens I just picked up an external R2 writer, and, sho' nuff, I'm backing up as I write.
May I importune you with two further and, I promise, final questions? (Well, I can't promise, but I'll try to control myself.)
1) How do I import the CSS Key?
2) Isn't AnyDVD supposed to circumvent regional coding and make it possible to copy DVDs from another region?
EDIT: Plus, in the past I've successfully backed up other R2 discs using the same dvd writer - though earlier versions of AnyDVD.

If you're busy helping other desperate souls, and haven't time to illuminate more of the deep caverns of my ignorance, I'll understand.
Either way, I'll be toasting your health and happiness over some suitable liquid refreshment at the earliest opportunity.

Last edited:
1) How do I import the CSS Key?
You export / import them in the CSS archive in AnyDVD settings.
As always, right mouse click gives instructions. The CSS archive must be enabled, of course, otherwise it will be empty. Just click with the right mouse button on the empty list...

2) Isn't AnyDVD supposed to circumvent regional coding and make it possible to copy DVDs from another region?
EDIT: Plus, in the past I've successfully backed up other R2 discs using the same dvd writer - though earlier versions of AnyDVD.
It usually does, but you found an exception to the rule: On Region Code mismatch the drive will not reveal the title keys by AnyDVD asking nicely. So AnyDVD must perform a "brute force" attack. But this can fail, especially on very short titles (like FBI warnings, short menu loops or similar).
In this case AnyDVD needs to "guess" the key. In your case it guessed wrong.
Copying the main movie (without menus) would have worked. Using a region free drive would have worked, too. (Careful, you still need AnyDVD to watch movies with a region free drive on your PC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eminenz

It usually does, but you found an exception to the rule: On Region Code mismatch the drive will not reveal the title keys by AnyDVD asking nicely. So AnyDVD must perform a "brute force" attack. But this can fail, especially on very short titles (like FBI warnings, short menu loops or similar).
In this case AnyDVD needs to "guess" the key. In your case it guessed wrong.[/
I]
Been following this and thought I would chime in with my experience:

I just backed up a R2 Pan's Labyrinth (movie only) and received this same CSS keys message. I have backed up several CSS protected R2 discs before and have never encountered the drive-mismatch "problem" on any of them until Pan's Labyrinth. My drive has always been, and still is, set to Region 1. The keys of those discs are in my CSS archives, but the Pan's Labyrinth keys are not. I found this out because I did two back-ups on this movie, the first was at heavy compression to a single dvd-r and the second at 100% to a DL dvd+r. I was completely surprised to get the CSS message the second time around since it had already been guessed correctly. Does anyone know why the CSS keys were not saved in my archive? And what's up with the drive-mismatch? This seems to be a new aspect of AnyDVD 6.1.3.3, am I correct on this or is there some other explaination? Thanks for any suggestions

If your drive's region does not match the region of the disc, you may get that error message. And this issue is not new to 6.1.3.3

Yes you're right, all the CSS protected R2 discs I have backed up until now never gave me a region mis-match notice because I never had a CSS warning on them either. That's what threw me for a loop. I keep Anydvd enabled so I can see the disc information before I go on to CLONEDVD2 and am accustomed to seeing CSS protected discs all the time--just not used to getting one that has to be decoded.
After all is said & done though the CSS keys were guessed correctly and I did make a successful back-up. But still, shouldn't the Css keys be in my archive? Did I miss something here? Maybe there is a temp file where the CSS keys are stored in case an incorrect attempt is made? Probably not a big deal, but I know I'll be backing this disc up again eventually and want to stay problem-free :)

But still, shouldn't the Css keys be in my archive?

Is "Use CSS key archive" enabled in Anydvd? Mine is disabled by default, and I generally don't use it. Keep in mind if it's enabled and Anydvd happens to get the CSS key wrong the first time, it will then aways get that key wrong in subsequent attempts, because Anydvd will be retrieving the wrong key from the archive instead of trying to obtain the CSS key properly again.

Yes, "use css key library" is checked. I have never disabled it. Browsing thru the archive list it occurs to me that this list should be a lot larger than it is. I don't really know how CSS decryption works but it is possible that many discs have the same CSS and that Anydvd would not save one if it was already archived under a different title? That would explain why the archive isn't very large, but doesn't explain why a new CSS difficulty like Pan's Labyrinth would not have been added. What's weird is that the disc I backed up just prior to the one in question was also a R2, was CSS protected (but didn't give a CSS notice) is in my archives!

AnyDVD

Thanks!

The OP said they were using 6.1.1.4. That is several updates behind. The newer version may not be the fix, but it shouldn't hurt either.

I update whenever a new version of Anydvd is released so perhaps only a partial wipeout of CSS keys takes place. Some of the titles in my archives have been there for quite a while. Anyway, I will clean my archives out by exporting & saving them and I'll just keep an eye on the archives to see what gets saved and what doesn't. I suspect that my archives have not been growing because I rarely do full disc back-ups anymore.

I suspect that my archives have not been growing because I rarely do full disc back-ups anymore.

It has nothing to do with full disc backups. If you insert a new dvd in your system with Anydvd running, the css key should be added to the archive. It's entirely possible if you uninstall or update Anydvd (and let's face it; Anydvd gets updated a lot), then your css key archive may be getting wiped out each time.

Last edited:
Back