• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Blu ray seems harder than HD to crack?

YAMABEN

I am new to Bluray. The few posts that I have read seem to indicate that decrypting Bluray is not totally ironed out yet? Am I way off base on that statement? Is Bluray harder to crack than HD?

I just bought a Sony Bluray player for my TV, and Lite-on Bluray player for my computer. I am anxious to try backing up some discs. Seems like little to lose with 20 day free trial.

Don't make fun of my questions. I just got my bluray player and drive, and I don't know much about it.

I am new to Bluray. The few posts that I have read seem to indicate that decrypting Bluray is not totally ironed out yet? Am I way off base on that statement? Is Bluray harder to crack than HD?

I just bought a Sony Bluray player for my TV, and Lite-on Bluray player for my computer. I am anxious to try backing up some discs. Seems like little to lose with 20 day free trial.

Don't make fun of my questions. I just got my bluray player and drive, and I don't know much about it.

There are no dumb questions, there are some very helpful people here.

Both HD DVD and Blu Ray have added new encryption, although Blu Ray has the additional BD+. This encryption regullarly updates the code to prevent unauthorized use. This seems to only be on FOX studio owned titles. Everything else at this time seems to be able to play with no difficulties thanks to the great work of the slysoft team.

Keep reading and stay on top of the forums to ensure that you are educated. Lots of this is trial and error (sometimes more error than trial, but that sometimes can be half the fun!!!!).

Enjoy HD you'll never want to go back.

Cheers

I don't see why anyone would make fun of your questions.

In the long run BD is the harder nut to crack. BD has AACS which is mandatory. BD has region coding. BD also has BD+ which is now being used.

HD-DVD only has AACS. AACS is not mandatory, though.

The latest MKB v4 is still being worked on and this applies to both BD and HD.

Essentially, BD is a much more restrictive format and you pretty much throw away your Fair Use rights. Many of the issues with BD on a PC are a result problems with the software players. Those companies have a lot of work to do to iron out bugs and get the software running as smoothly as it should. As things get more complex it makes the software more prone to problems.

I don't see why anyone would make fun of your questions.

In the long run BD is the harder nut to crack. BD has AACS which is mandatory. BD has region coding. BD also has BD+ which is now being used.

HD-DVD only has AACS. AACS is not mandatory, though.

The latest MKB v4 is still being worked on and this applies to both BD and HD.

Essentially, BD is a much more restrictive format and you pretty much throw away your Fair Use rights. Many of the issues with BD on a PC are a result problems with the software players. Those companies have a lot of work to do to iron out bugs and get the software running as smoothly as it should. As things get more complex it makes the software more prone to problems.

Makes you wonder if those movie-companys who uses BD+ has won the war
against the consumers "Fair Use"?:(

Makes you wonder if those movie-companys who uses BD+ has won the war
against the consumers "Fair Use"?:(

Well, I don't think the war is over. There's a very important reason I hold this opinion and it also depends on the context you place the statement in. For BD using AACS is mandatory. That's not a cheap licensing fee. Small independent studios may not be able to afford this. I see this as extortion and it will unfairly harm if not reduce independent releases.

HD-DVD doesn't require AACS. Those independent releases can be released on HD more cheaply. If BD were to win the war and HD fell by the wayside then where would this leave the indepdent releases that couldn't afford an AACS license? Would they be relegated to only releasing SD DVDs? As it stands you can find a large amount of smaller SD DVD releases with no CSS or RCE protection on the discs.

Of course even if BD does win the war I don't expect HD to just die off. The big studios may go BD while smaller independent studios release their stuff on HD and people will play either format on their combo player once they hit the market and prices are reasonable.

As far as Fair Use... I don't think the Industry cares at all about the consumer. They may sit there and say, "Well what we are releasing just looks so much better and we are doing that for the consumer." In the end, however, with the restrictions they place on the format they're laughing their way to the bank, IMHO, and it's not about the consumer at all. It's about money.

Well, I don't think the war is over. There's a very important reason I hold this opinion and it also depends on the context you place the statement in. For BD using AACS is mandatory. That's not a cheap licensing fee. Small independent studios may not be able to afford this. I see this as extortion and it will unfairly harm if not reduce independent releases.

HD-DVD doesn't require AACS. Those independent releases can be released on HD more cheaply. If BD were to win the war and HD fell by the wayside then where would this leave the indepdent releases that couldn't afford an AACS license? Would they be relegated to only releasing SD DVDs? As it stands you can find a large amount of smaller SD DVD releases with no CSS or RCE protection on the discs.

Of course even if BD does win the war I don't expect HD to just die off. The big studios may go BD while smaller independent studios release their stuff on HD and people will play either format on their combo player once they hit the market and prices are reasonable.

As far as Fair Use... I don't think the Industry cares at all about the consumer. They may sit there and say, "Well what we are releasing just looks so much better and we are doing that for the consumer." In the end, however, with the restrictions they place on the format they're laughing their way to the bank, IMHO, and it's not about the consumer at all. It's about money.

I understand how the industries thinking and work. I don't blame them for that, what I wanted to say is that the industry may have found a perfect protection for Blu-Ray but not for HD-DVD. So if BD+ remains uncrackable then other movie studios will follow....

what I wanted to say is that the industry may have found a perfect protection for Blu-Ray but not for HD-DVD. So if BD+ remains uncrackable then other movie studios will follow....

Quite possibly, yes, which very much concerns me. I'm about content and quality and I want a wide variety of options. If BD wins and has all these protections and the mandatory AACS then some releases just might never make it to BD because the cost of it is beyond what the releaser can afford to commit to. That, IMHO, is not good for anyone and shows a flaw in the original format specifications. Why is AACS mandatory? To me, I see no other reason than money.

I believe BD+ will be broken given time which is a good thing but that doesn't lessen my problems with the heavy-handed protection methods placed upon the BD format.

Crap...I should have bought HD. I reasoned that BluRay would win the war because of their capacity advantage and I also noticed some pretty heavy hitters backing BluRay (Sony of course, but also Disney, 20th, Lionsgate, etc. not to mention Hitachi and Panasonic). I saw warnings about "Uncrackable Bluray", but I don't really believe in the word uncrackable as it relates to this industry. Time will tell I suppose.

The Trouble With HD Protection Schemes

The trouble with these protection schemes is that the player programmers find it difficult to get a stable, fully functional program out the door. I am having a serious problem getting Cyberlink to work playing any of my HD DVDs. And all the components in my chain are HDCP compliant, yet when I put in a HD DVD PowerDVD just freezes up (with AnyDVD HD diabled). So basically, I cannot play any of the HD DVDs I have without AnyDVD. I've only tried a small sample, but it sucks that I just can't pop in a HD DVD and start watching.

So call me a pirate if you want, I'm not uploading anything, I just believe that consumers should have more control over what they can do with thier media outside of sharing it with others. And forget backing up, I can't even watch HD material without AnyDVD running.

[End rant/]

Correct me if I m wrong but

If you can make a backup of a HD-DVD or Blu-Ray to your harddrive then you can play it without HDCP on any software dvd player you want and even don't need to update your player at all?

Because this thing to update a patch is only the industrys way of saying
"You can't see this HD-movie if you don't download the latest patch" right??

Upon further reflection, I guess really both sides are pretty equal in strength of corporate support. It's pretty hard to not refer to Microsoft and Intel as heavy hitters, or Universal and Paramount for that matter. Darn my desire for owning new technology before it shakes itself out!

If you can make a backup of a HD-DVD or Blu-Ray to your harddrive then you can play it without HDCP on any software dvd player you want and even don't need to update your player at all?

Correct. AnyDVDHD strips out all that DRM "gunk" and allows you to view your disk the way nature intended, freely:D

Correct. And even better - with AnyDVD HD you don't even need to create a copy on your harddisk in the first place.

Without reading the other replies, I'm just going to say Slysoft and other *haven't* yet cracked AACS. They've written a program that is able to decrypt a disc when a correct decoding key is used - it's that simple. DeCSS was code that cracked all DVD's without knowing the encryption key - there has as yet been no equivalent "DeAACS" program.

BD is more difficult because you can be forced to upgrade your firmware (at your cost) to continue watching new release discs, whereas HD-DVD doesn't. They're both based on the idea that decryption keys can be revoked - so essentially if they revoke cracked keys on new releases, you can't decrypt them in your decryption program - but your player still can. On the other hand BD goes further as I mentioned, with mandatory requirements for new discs.

If AACS were to be successfully cracked, then there would be no difference in the ability to decode BD or HD-DVD discs - with the exception that BD then has the additional problem of BD+; which as I've mentioned, even when decrypted will still pose problems when it comes to re-encoding content.

So if BD+ remains uncrackable then other movie studios will follow....

The only problem with cracking BD+ is the fact that the documentation is not publicly available. Otherwise it would be fixed by now.
So the additional time required will be due to "research" only.

The only problem with cracking BD+ is the fact that the documentation is not publicly available. Otherwise it would be fixed by now.
So the additional time required will be due to "research" only.

So you say that if the AACS Company had released their technical documentation of BD+ then SlySoft could have broke the protection earlier? :)

So you say that if the AACS Company had released their technical documentation of BD+ then SlySoft could have broke the protection earlier? :)

BD+ is not AACS. But yes, sure, having the documentation would speed things up.

Back