• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

difference between verbatims?

truseq1

i know that there is a difference by the lock on top. which one is the one to look for the one with feet on the L or without?

i know that there is a difference by the lock on top. which one is the one to look for the one with feet on the L or without?

People have always said the ones you want have Lock written in Times New Roman (TNR). That would be the L with the feet.

Recently, though, I've noticed that a few of the 100-spindles I've picked up at Future Shop with the sans serif font have been the good variety.

Recently, though, I've noticed that a few of the 100-spindles I've picked up at Future Shop with the sans serif font have been the good variety.

Those would be made by Prodisc (if they're made in Taiwan). The CMCs tend to be slightly better.

Those would be made by Prodisc (if they're made in Taiwan). The CMCs tend to be slightly better.

The more recent DVD+R 16x 100 disc spindles I have gotten don't have Lock written in TNR and they are MCC. I've had no issues.

Code:
-------------------------------------------------
Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:MCC-004-000]
Disc & Book Type :       [DVD+R] - [DVD+R]
Manufacturer Name :      [Mitsubishi Chemical Corp.]
Manufacturer ID :        [MCC]
Media Type ID :          [004]
Product Revision :       [Not Specified]
Blank Disc Capacity :    [2,295,104 Sectors = 4.70 GB (4.38 GiB)]
Recording Speeds :       [1x-2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x , 6x-16x]
---------------------------------------------------
[ DVD Identifier V5.0.1 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

The more recent DVD+R 16x 100 disc spindles I have gotten don't have Lock written in TNR and they are MCC. I've had no issues.

Code:
Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:MCC-004-000]
Disc & Book Type :       [DVD+R] - [DVD+R]
Manufacturer Name :      [Mitsubishi Chemical Corp.]
Manufacturer ID :        [MCC]
Media Type ID :          [004]
Product Revision :       [Not Specified]
Blank Disc Capacity :    [2,295,104 Sectors = 4.70 GB (4.38 GiB)]
Recording Speeds :       [1x-2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x , 6x-16x]
[ DVD Identifier V5.0.1 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

Yeah, are those are made in Taiwan? If so, they're not made by MCC. They are made by CMC (most likely) or Prodisc using MCC codes.

I do know of MCC 004s also being made in India (these are made by Moser Baer). I can't say I'm a huge fan of Moser Baer Verbatims, but other people have had lots of success with them.

Real MCC is made in Singapore (and I'm not sure whether the Singapore plant is even making 16x single layer media; at least, I'm not aware that they are . . . they did use to make some 8x single layer blank media).

Last edited:
Yeah, are those are made in Taiwan? If so, they're not made by MCC. They are made by CMC (most likely) or Prodisc using MCC codes.

I do know of MCC 004s also being made in India (these are made by Moser Baer). I can't say I'm a huge fan of Moser Baer Verbatim's, but other people have had lots of success with them.

Hmm... I just found one of the labels that I always throw away from around the spindle. Made in Taiwan.

Nonetheless, I've had no issues so I'm happy. :)

Hmm... I just found one of the labels that I always throw away from around the spindle. Made in Taiwan.

Yeah, then they are likely to be CMC made Verbatims (and as such have permission to use the MCC code).

For Verbatim . . .

Made in Taiwan = CMC or Prodisc
Made in India = Moser Baer
Made in Singapore = Mitsubishi Chemical corp
Made in Japan = Taiyo Yuden

Last edited:
You can also look at the serial in the inner clear hub of the DVD's. Prodisc serials have a + or - (+ since they're DVD+R's) in them. CMC serials often start with "PAPxxxxxxx".

I'm not sure if that still applies to the newer Verbatims that you're buying.

You can also look at the serial in the inner clear hub of the DVD's. Prodisc serials have a + or - (+ since they're DVD+R's) in them. CMC serials often start with "PAPxxxxxxx".

I'm not sure if that still applies to the newer Verbatims that you're buying.

The serial is a ***** to read but it definitely starts with "PAP..." and is purely alpha-numeric w/o a "+" or "-".

No, they actually were CMC; that was my point. I was surprised by it. I avoid the sans serif font myself, but my grandfather picked up a 100 spindle at Future Shop while they were on sale about a month ago, and the serial #'s began with PAP. So I went myself and picked up a few. Always on the lookout for deals on good Verbatim blanks.

Last edited:
No, they actually were CMC; that was my point. I was surprised by it. I avoid the sans serif font myself, but my grandfather picked up a 100 spindle at Future Shop while they were on sale about a month ago, and the serial #'s began with PAP. So I went myself and picked up a few. Always on the lookout for deals on good Verbatim blanks.

Are they +Rs? That's news to me that they switched fonts on the packaging.

Always on the lookout for deals on good Verbatim blanks.

Me too (but only for Verbatim +R DL made in Singapore, which is all I use now)

Last edited:
I have never looked at any of that, I just always buy the ones that they sell at Sam's club and have only had 1 spindle that gave me any problems. This covers around 2 years worth of purchases.

Ok.. I'm confused. I have a new spindle of Verbatim DVD-R's.
Serial number begins with MAP (I'm sure) and the L on Lock has a foot on it.

So what do I have??

-W

The last 1000, or more, verbatim +R media that I have purchased have all been MCC 004. I have yet to have 1 bad disc or burn.

Back