• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Ads By Google???

Clams

Forgive me if this sounds silly, but I just visited the AnyDVD home page and found the all too typical "Ads By google" on the left side.

This would not bother me by itself... except that the displayd ads are iether for competing prodcts, or the usual DVD copying scamware that everyone here (especially Slysoft) would tell people to avoid. :(

I know Slysoft doesn't controll the content of the Google Ads - but the question that lingers in my mind is: Considering that they misdirect and mislead potential Slysoft customers - are they really worth it?? The old rule still applies that if something appears on your web-page, you tacitly condone it's existance there.

Note: This post is not about a 3rd party product or general chatty item - it speaks directly to the AnyDVD home page - that's why I put it here.

-W

Last edited:
Those Google ads featuring scamware have been on the Slysoft main page and even on the CDFreaks main page for years now.

I once posted a thread on CDFreaks asking why these ads were there like that, and the consensous I got via the replies was, "No one is stupid enough to click those ads, it isn't an issue, why are you trying to cause trouble."

/shrug/

Those Google ads featuring scamware have been on the Slysoft main page and even on the CDFreaks main page for years now.

Whew! I'm glad I know that.... makes it all better now. :D

I once posted a thread on CDFreaks asking why these ads were there like that, and the consensous I got via the replies was, "No one is stupid enough to click those ads, it isn't an issue, why are you trying to cause trouble."
/shrug/

I might agree that anyone "stupid enough to click those ads" is also too stupid to be a desired Slysoft customer.
(they'd need way too much support) :D

Anyone who questions an ongoing questionable practice is "causing trouble". My country was founded by "trouble-causers". :)

-W

it speaks directly to the AnyDVD home page - that's why I put it here.

Yeah, the Slysoft homepage--and not Anydvd, the program . . . This thread belongs in the General forum.

If you want an explanation about the Google ads, click http://club.cdfreaks.com/f74/google-ads-slysoft-166727/#post1279565

James said:
as you said these are Google ads. Google picks them based on some keywords. We don't have any influence what advert will show, they change quite often.

Forgive me if this sounds silly, but I just visited the AnyDVD home page and found the all too typical "Ads By google" on the left side.

This would not bother me by itself... except that the displayed ads are iether for competing prodcts, or the usual DVD copying scamware that everyone here (especially Slysoft) would tell people to avoid. :(
Look I completely agree, and I've raised similar concerns on other forums before - namely over at fws when a host has google ads that advertise for competitors - and usually a large number of those are for "unlimited shared accounts" - which is something that the provider cannot provide for the consumer - the only "unlimited" or "unmetered" hosting service you can get is from a dedicated server - not a shared one. I also flat-out boycott gmail, because as I've said before I don't agree, and never have agreed to have their server scan my email content to provide relevant ads to the recipient - I've raised this concern before to be met with the reply "next time read the EULA", to which I've responded "I'm not a gmail customer, and never have been - and thus I've never agreed to their EULA" - so I ignore ALL mail that comes from the gmail server and I never respond to it. I consider profiting commercially from the content of my emails a violation of my rights. Google has also successfully been sued for caching internet sites that specifically do not allow anyone to do so - google claimed their should have put their meta-tag in the page - and they rightly claimed that google shouldn't dictate their own meta-tag which controls only their site as an "opt-out" - when it should be "opt-in" (that is to say all content you or I write/publish is our intellectual property that we own the copyright to - and until you or I have told google they can provide it from their server it is illegal to do so).

In short: I don't have much respect for google ads, and I firmly believe in adopting alternatives, rather than simply claiming you "don't control the content" - since it is that very content that you profit from by running them.

Last edited:
I just wonder is the money is really worth it??

Oh, I have no idea. I imagine they believe it is. Apparently, Slysoft gets an insane number of downloads per month. Perhaps the ads help to offset the cost of bandwidth usage.

Back