• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Why use +R blank media?

I beg to differ! . . . Some drives just do not handle them.

You can differ all you want. You are mistaken. In fact, a few older burners didn't even support -R at all, but that has little bearing on anything.

I just talked to one with a problem with +R discs.

I respond to people who use inferior quality blank media on a daily basis here on the forums, regardless of whether they use -R or +R. Most don't know any better--and many people also don't know whether the firmware in their burner supports the blank media they're using. This accounts for many users' issues with blank media, regardless of whether they're using -R or +R.

Last edited:
The only format that you find to be hit and miss as far as newer drives supporting is DVD-RAM.

I've been backing up for years. I have never had a problem with ''inferior discs'' of any brand or make. Just formats and individual burners. And I've been through quite a few! . I have thousands of factory DVD's and I have thousands of discs burned. I do not read hub numbers for origin, I do not stick to any brand except the one on sale at the vendors! I deal with many people every day in this area. I just do not have thousands of posts here! I am not mistaken but am not going to argue with a moderator. I will just return to reading up on new versions and problems. Good luck!

II do not stick to any brand except the one on sale at the vendors!

That's a rather dubious method and an exceptionally good way to get bad burns and media that doesn't last. There's a reason why smart burners avoid junk blank media--and why people whose business it is to burn blank media at an industrial level avoid inferior quality blank media.

I am not mistaken

I am sorry, but you are sorely misinformed.

Last edited:
I do not stick to any brand except the one on sale at the vendors!

That's your problem. The manufacturers of blank media are usually not the same as the label on the blanks. For example, Ritek is a very big manufacturer of cheap blank media, and supplies companies such as Memorex, which rebrands it with their own trademark. Unfortunately, Ritek blanks are notorious for being problematic.

+R is more compatible than -R because the blanks support writing to the Book Type area of the discs. -R media does not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_type

Because you can set the Book Type of +R media to 0000 for DVD-ROM, players and drives will "see" the disc as a DVD-ROM, thus insuring greater compatibility. However, you need to use quality media, such as Verbatim.

That's exactly right...I do not HAVE any problems with discs. You people can complicate a simple operation with smoke and statistics. I'll continue in my ignorant bliss and be very successful in what I do. Helping others backup and burn on another site. Every day, all day. I'm outta here...Impress each other.

That's exactly right...I do not HAVE any problems with discs.

Your friend does according to you, and you also appear to have issues with original Disney titles: http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?p=55079#post55079

You people can complicate a simple operation with smoke and statistics.

Actually, most informed sites will tell you to use Taiyo Yuden (not Valueline) or Verbatim for a good reason.

I'll continue in my ignorant bliss and be very successful in what I do. Helping others backup and burn on another site.

And this is the reason why your friend can't burn +R blank media?

Every day, all day. I'm outta here...Impress each other.

Whether you choose to leave here is your choice. However, if you do remain I request that you not continue to misinform other members here. Thank you

Last edited:
DVD+R is more like CD-R then DVD-R is - in that the CD-R format did not become available until way after the CD format was adopted. I use -R for single-layer, and +R for double-layer. But it is probably true that +R's will yield a more compatible result then -R, though where all these inferior quality players are, I don't know.

I'm new to this forum, but have been burning DVDs for several years. I had an older Panasonic set top DVD Recorder That would not play +Rs unless they were book typed. It doesn't matter on my current DVD players. I generally use Taiyo Yuden TYG02 8X -R discs. I use the premium line. I tried some TY +Rs once and was not satisfied with them. In addition to costing more I also had higher errors (using Nero CD/DVD Speed) than I did with the -Rs. I suppose I could have gotten a bad batch, but since the -Rs work OK for me I am sticking with them. I rarely use DL discs because they have been somewhat problematic for me. If I accidentally don't book type them they won't play on any of my players. I have 4 burners and the one I like the most is my Pioneer DVR-112D and it won'y book type anything including +R DL discs. I guess I'll have to look into the Buffalo firmware.

I suppose I could have gotten a bad batch

It may also be a firmware issue. But Taiyo Yuden Premium 8x dvd-rs are generally excellent as well, so use what you're happy with.

I guess I'll have to look into the Buffalo firmware.

Yeah

click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=6646 and read from post 32 onwards . . .

You'll be voiding your burner's warranty though.

I rarely use DL discs because they have been somewhat problematic for me. If I accidentally don't book type them they won't play on any of my players.

For the past year, I haven't used anything other than Verbatim +R DL (made in Singapore). I don't compress video anymore.

And welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
I'm new to this forum, but have been burning DVDs for several years. I had an older Panasonic set top DVD Recorder That would not play +Rs unless they were book typed. It doesn't matter on my current DVD players. I generally use Taiyo Yuden TYG02 8X -R discs. I use the premium line. I tried some TY +Rs once and was not satisfied with them. In addition to costing more I also had higher errors (using Nero CD/DVD Speed) than I did with the -Rs. I suppose I could have gotten a bad batch, but since the -Rs work OK for me I am sticking with them. I rarely use DL discs because they have been somewhat problematic for me. If I accidentally don't book type them they won't play on any of my players. I have 4 burners and the one I like the most is my Pioneer DVR-112D and it won'y book type anything including +R DL discs. I guess I'll have to look into the Buffalo firmware.

Your issue with the TY +R's was likely more of a compatibility issue than bad discs.

I've been backing up for years. I have never had a problem with ''inferior discs'' of any brand or make. Just formats and individual burners. And I've been through quite a few! . I have thousands of factory DVD's and I have thousands of discs burned. I do not read hub numbers for origin, I do not stick to any brand except the one on sale at the vendors! I deal with many people every day in this area. I just do not have thousands of posts here! I am not mistaken but am not going to argue with a moderator. I will just return to reading up on new versions and problems. Good luck!

It is not uncommon for "inferior" discs to record properly but will those same discs be playable in a few months or years.

Using +R's will get a lot of users in trouble unless they KNOW their drive will burn and read them! ;- )
This is wrong. Most players bought within the last 5 years can play +R media just fine, if there is a problem all that is needed is a booktype to DVD-ROM. Easy stuff. +R media has an advantage over dash media, the ability to booktype them and have them see the same format as any disc you might buy in a store. DVD-ROM.

I've been backing up for years.
I have never had a problem with ''inferior discs'' of any brand or make
. Just formats and individual burners. And I've been through quite a few! . I have thousands of factory DVD's and I have thousands of discs burned. I do not read hub numbers for origin, I do not stick to any brand except the one on sale at the vendors! I deal with many people every day in this area. I just do not have thousands of posts here! I am not mistaken but am not going to argue with a moderator. I will just return to reading up on new versions and problems. Good luck!
You will when you try to play them in a year or so down the line. Bad media is the problem for 95% of all the complaints here on the forum. If you choose to use poor quality media this is your choice, but I do not recommend this when high quality media can be had for about 20cents a disc on sale at most brick and mortar stores. Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden, stick with these two brands and you will be fine.:agree:

Your issue with the TY +R's was likely more of a compatibility issue than bad discs.

I suppose it could be. I have a Pioneer DVR-112D (111L at that time), A Lite-On SOHW-1693S, an LG GSA-4163B and a BenQ DW-1650. You'd think that one of them would have liked them. Actually, most of them would play, but my error and coaster rate was about the same as TY -R value line. I have tried the value line and didn't like them. I don't think they make two lines of +R. Since I don't have too many problems with the -R I'll probably just stick with them. I just tried the TY +R because I've heard so many good things about them. I just couldn't see that they were any better (for me, anyway) and they also cost more.

I don't think they make two lines of +R.

I haven't seen any marketed as such, but I always mention "premium" just in case their +R ever gets marketed that way.

I just tried the TY +R because I've heard so many good things about them.

I never had any issues with mine (8x). pi/po and jitter scans were all excellent.

It may also be a firmware issue. But Taiyo Yuden Premium 8x dvd-rs are generally excellent as well, so use what you're happy with.
Very true, individual burner results do vary, but my favourate disc is the OEM Taiyo Yuden's (4x) - which I burn at 6x. The disc can be burnt at 12 speed and still yeild a decent result far, but I prefer to burn at the best speed for the media.
You'll be voiding your burner's warranty though.
Yes and No, if you can re-flash it back to a non-patched firmware you've gotten away with the perfect crime ... but then again, if your drive is so dead you can't... well then you may run into troubles.

I suppose it could be. I have a Pioneer DVR-112D (111L at that time), A Lite-On SOHW-1693S, an LG GSA-4163B and a BenQ DW-1650. You'd think that one of them would have liked them. Actually, most of them would play, but my error and coaster rate was about the same as TY -R value line. I have tried the value line and didn't like them. I don't think they make two lines of +R. Since I don't have too many problems with the -R I'll probably just stick with them. I just tried the TY +R because I've heard so many good things about them. I just couldn't see that they were any better (for me, anyway) and they also cost more.

My compatibility statement was directed to your DVD Player and not your DVDRW's.

No! for me!

I find that I have less problems with the DVD - R. The + R just gave my burner a fit and ended up throwing away more bad DVD's than I actually kept.:agree:

Back