• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Why use +R blank media?

Clams

Have you tried using Verbatim DVD+R media, and setting the booktype to DVD-ROM?

Can anyone explain to me WHY people reccommend that DVD+R is to be used, but then you need to set the booktype to DVD-R? This as opposed to just using DVD-R to begin with to avoid the whole booktype issue in the first place?? Makes little sence to me.

-W

Can anyone explain to me WHY people reccommend that DVD+R is to be used, but then you need to set the booktype to DVD-R? This as opposed to just using DVD-R to begin with to avoid the whole booktype issue in the first place?? Makes little sence to me.

-W

+R media, book typed to DVD-ROM, is the most compatible format. Commercial DVD's are DVD-ROM.
Robert7532 said "Booktype and all that stuff is set correctly" so I assume he has tried book typing +R's.

+R media, book typed to DVD-ROM, is the most compatible format. Commercial DVD's are DVD-ROM.
Robert7532 said "Booktype and all that stuff is set correctly" so I assume he has tried book typing +R's.

Actually... It's my understanding that a DVD-R (which doesn't even need book typing to DVD-ROM because when burned it is a DVD-ROM by it's very nature) is about 3% more likely to be compatable than a DVD+R that's been booktyped. But both are in the mid-hi 90's.

I agree that booktyping is not his problem. I'd bet it's the folder issue. OR he could be in that 3% of older players that's not fooled by a booktyped DVD+R and needs to use the real deal (DVD-R) - but I doubt it.

-W

Actually... It's my understanding that a DVD-R (which doesn't even need book typing to DVD-ROM because when burned it is a DVD-ROM by it's very nature)

No. That's complete nonsense. And, in fact, when dvd+r is booktyped (many drives' firmwares do this automatically now or can be set to do this automatically), dvd players can't tell the difference between the blank and an original disc simply based on booktype information (conversely, they could if they were checking for a dvd-r booktype).

3% of older players that's not fooled by a booktyped DVD+R

Complete nonsense

Last edited:
No. That's complete nonsense. And, in fact, when dvd+r is booktyped (many drives' firmwares do this automatically now or can be set to do this automatically), dvd players can't tell the difference between the blank and an original disc simply based on booktype information (conversely, they could if they were checking for a dvd-r booktype

OK.... agreeing to stipulate to the above as a "given" - the question that remains on the floor is why even bother with DVD+R and booktyping when you can just buy a DVD-R in the first place??

-W

By the way, a dvd-r bitsetting "trick" exists, but it's more work than it's worth (and some players/drives aren't fooled by it either).

OK.... agreeing to stipulate to the above as a "given" - the question that remains on the floor is why even bother with DVD+R and booktyping when you can just buy a DVD-R in the first place??

-W

Well, first, with DL discs there's no comparison. -R DL is just a useless format.

But moving away from the DL topic and despite not wishing to create controversy (nor do I wish to argue about it), I firmly believe +R (if we stay in the realm of good quality blank media) is more compatible due to bitsetting (or I should say more futureproof, and I also fear some jerk company will decide to produce a player that will check for booktype and decline to play anything other than "dvd-rom"; doing so should be illegal, but I wouldn't put it past some of these companies to never develop something with that kind of booktype check in mind . . .)

I don't buy -R blank media anymore.

Last edited:
Also, for PC game backups, I believe it's important to be using +R instead of -R, because some protections, I firmly believe, do check for booktype (amongst other things).

So, just in general, I prefer using +R (booktyped to "rom"). Doing so helps eliminate one potential cause for why a (game, mostly . . but who knows what else) backup doesn't work properly.

OK - Gotcha.... thanks

-W

Last edited:
There also are technical reasons why DVD+R is just a better format than DVD-R, IMHO. The differences are more than than just the plus or minus sign in the name. As a result of numerous technical aspects I believe DVD+R is a better format for burning at higher speeds.

I don't intend on getting involved in a debate as to which is actually better. Personally, I just refuse to buy any DVD-R media.

-W

The answer is still the same......+R, booktyped to DVD-ROM, is a more compatible format. :D

Huh?

Does anyone actually have a player that can't at least read + and - media? My oldest working DVD player is dated 1998, a Samsung DVD-V1000, and it plays + -, and Ram media just fine, and CD-R discs with with DVD folders. :D

Does anyone actually have a player that can't at least read + and - media? My oldest working DVD player is dated 1998, a Samsung DVD-V1000, and it plays + -, and Ram media just fine, and CD-R discs with with DVD folders. :D

Almost any cheapo player will read anything you put in them. The higher dollar units, particularly Sony, seem to have the most problems.

Actually some old dvd players won't play +R blank media unless the booktype is change to "-rom".

Using +R's will get a lot of users in trouble unless they KNOW their drive will burn and read them! ;- )

Last edited:
+R's for DUAL layer, yes, but not singles. Too many burners do not handle them well. THAT's why they are lower priced! Not worth the trouble. Does not even carry the DVD logo..

I beg to differ! But you are the moderator. I just talked to one with a problem with +R discs. I have had them also. Some drives just do not handle them. I'd rather not jump through hoops and KNOW they will burn and play. Never had a disc related error with -R's...
The NEXT drive I get may NOT handle the discs either. This refers to SINGLE layer discs as posted above.

I beg to differ! But you are the moderator. I just talked to one with a problem with +R discs. I have had them also. Some drives just do not handle them. I'd rather not jump through hoops and KNOW they will burn and play. Never had a disc related error with -R's...
The NEXT drive I get may NOT handle the discs either. This refers to SINGLE layer discs as posted above.

I've *NEVER* had a problem with _QUALITY_ DVD+R single layer discs. Ever. There are some *OLD* players that don't like them very much, but, if you booktype them to DVD-ROM it's generally not an issue. DVD-R media, otoh, I've had numerous problems with. Most people I know use DVD+R media and have zero problems with it. If that's not your experience, that's fine, but, it is the experience of a great many people.

Back