• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

nichijou blu-ray

The latest version of VLC media player runs on Windows XP, especially SP3. I have many computers:
Mostly Windows XP, one is Windows 8, another 8.1, yet another Windows 10. Four are on Windows 7.
Currently I am having problems with one Windows XP computer and one Windows 10 computer.

I hear newer computers are more likely to have problems playing blu-ray discs than older ones.

The latest version of VLC media player runs on Windows XP, especially SP3. I have many computers:
Mostly Windows XP, one is Windows 8, another 8.1, yet another Windows 10. Four are on Windows 7.
Currently I am having problems with one Windows XP computer and one Windows 10 computer.

I hear newer computers are more likely to have problems playing blu-ray discs than older ones.
This is the first time that I've heard of that, but I haven't had any problems playing Blu-ray discs.

I have been playing Blu-ray discs on at least 3 Windows machines in the past few years (since at least 2016) that have had Windows 10 on them, and now with a Windows 11 Pro laptop, and I haven't had any issues playing Blu-ray discs.

I've played the discs using PowerDVD Ultra, WinDVD, VLC, MPC-HC and even JRiver Media Center without any issues on Win 10/11 Pro, as long as I did what was suggested with each app.

Your problem is that you don't answer questions and you don't follow suggestions you receive. You have never answered HOW you play back. Creating folders? An ISO? I suggested to try MPC-HC since it seems to be an issue with VLC to play the menu.
Updating drivers is useless in your case and if you want to play an ISO or a disc under XP you need to install the UDF file system driver.

This is the first time that I've heard of that, but I haven't had any problems playing Blu-ray discs.
I found part of that info here at:

It is written in Japanese, but it describes technical details relating to playing blu-ray discs on computers.

This page was created by a company called Elecom, a rather large company that manufactures computer-related devices. Several years ago they purchased a hard disk manufacturer called Logitec (https://www.logitec.co.jp/).

Logitec (There is no independent entry for this company in the English edition of Wikipedia):

That means that this information is reliable. However, I too can see blu-ray contents on at least some of my computers.

I am sorry, but as there is no more time available, I will attend to other comments by other people later on, maybe tomorrow.

This is not correct. Get better sources of information.

Honestly ... you come to this forum looking for help, but it seems, you don't want it.
I don't know if you just missed several posts in this thread or you decided to ignore them (for some reason)

Thats like you go to a mechanic and tell him: my car does not run smooth
Despite that little information the mechanic says: sure, you filled in the wrong fuel
And you reply: I think there is a gear missing in the gearbox.
:unsure::rolleyes::banghead:

Believe it or not, the people here are very experienced in terms of media ripping, transcoding, playing and so on.
I would advise to take their help.

I also had a look on that link you posted, and according to it
The following three conditions are required to view Blu-ray discs (BD) on a computer.

(1) Blu-ray drive
 (2) Software to play Blu-ray
 (3) PC specs that can play Blu-ray discs

1. You obviously own a BD drive
2. A proper player for Bluray would be PowerDVD which you already mentioned or WinDVD mentioned in the link , VLC is considered a mediaplayer, that can play Bluray files
3. would be:
OS Windows® 11
Windows® 10 (32-bit/64-bit version)
Windows® 8.1 (32-bit/64-bit version)
64-bit version strongly recommended.
CPU Intel Core processor family
or AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 2.0 GHz
Memory 1 GB or more
HDD Approx. 250 MB
Graphics Card NVIDIA G8x or better, AMD M7x or better
or integrated graphics of Intel Core processor family
Other Windows-compatible sound card
Optical drive capable of playing DVD / Blu-ray discs required
Internet connection required

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

I do not see Windows XP or other older opersting systems mentioned anywhere on the page

So I don't know where you got that part, that older computers are better at playing BluRays.

The fact that you own many outdated Operating Systems doesn't make it better in terms of security.
Those old boxes are oftern subject to hacker attacks and then are used as source of attacks to others.
So for the sake of others on the internet ... please update or replace old Operating Systems

Putting that matter aside, I often get this kind of noise on the screen when I see the nichijou blu-ray contents on a hard disk with some of those old boxes. What is it? Is there a way to fix it?

Attachments

• vlc-nichijou.png
    vlc-nichijou.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
What is it? Is there a way to fix it?
Yes, stop using that old crap.

That can be one or more of numerous reasons:
Graphics system cannot handle the high resolution of BD (not enough memory, outdated drivers)
System is too slow (CPU, Hard disk)
A bad rip
The inability of VLC to play BD files correctly (you often see fragments after scrolling through the video)

Those old boxes are oftern subject to hacker attacks
Well, if a hacker wanted to hack into one of those old crap boxes of mine, he would probably have to do something IMOPOSSIBLE like this MISSION. It must pose more danger to hang down from the paper ceiling of a typical Japanese house than to use old crap in an isolated place like that.

In any case, I found that it was a bug in VLC media player that caused that noise, for I downgraded from the latest 3.0.18 to older 2.2.6 and 2.2.8., and versions 2.2.6 and 2.2.8 both worked fine on Windows 7 systems. I will experiment 2.2.8 on Windows XP systems as well.

Attachments

• mission-impossible-hanging-shot.jpg
    mission-impossible-hanging-shot.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Not really. I also need to play a computer game that requires 256 colors (8 bit) and the 640x480 resolution to run it, but Windows 7 cannot seem to play that game however I try. So, after all, I need Windows XP computers, but so far I have had no success playing blu-ray discs on Windows XP.

It is actually an educational game which was awarded prizes in the era of Windows 95. It is such a rare game I cannot part with it. Actually it does not play on Windows XP perfectly, but under the circumstances I have to do with it on Windows XP. That game was difficult to come by as it is pretty old now. Early versions of it is designed for Windows 3.1 or an even earlier OS. Its Windows 95 version is the latest of all.

Forget that old hardware crap and install VM Workstation Player (free for personal use) on your newest, fastet machine with the most recent OS. Then you can install old OSs as a virtual machine, e.g. Win95, WfW 3.11 etc. and run these games there. And play BDs only on your most powerful PC with Win10 or Win11.

VM Workstation Player is an interesting idea. I will look into it.

I am giving up archiving blu-ray discs. Maybe I should not buy blu-ray anymore.
I called two computer manufacturers. Lenovo angrily says that they do not support blu-ray playback at all.
Mouse Computer (www.mouse-jp.co.jp) happily says that they do if you buy a blu-ray drive from them.
That probably means that their computers can play blu-ray discs even without their blu-ray drives.
I did not call Vaio, but they do seem to offer two models for blu-ray disc playback (https://store.vaio.com/shop/e/ebyusage2/).
They are kind of steep, though.

If you were to archive blu-ray discs, which would you do, ripping to hard disks with their structures, or making an iso image? Or both?

Rip it to HDD with structure and recode it with Handbrake or any other recoder of your choice ... the resulting files can be played nearly anywhere. No need for extra Bluray-Player Software.

Last edited:
Lenovo angrily says that they do not support blu-ray playback at all

Then they don't know what they're talking about. That's not something they can prevent. they're no different from that 'mouse computer's in that regard. As long as you have an optical drive in the system that can read blu-ray (wether it's Lenovo, HP, dell, mouse or any other brand) and a compatible player software like powerDVD your computer will play blu-ray just fine. Regardless of that the OEM brand is.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

In my opinion, Lenovo just meant that they will not guarantee blu-ray playback. They say they do not make or sell blu-ray drives either, and if that is the case, it is no wonder that they cannot guarantee blu-ray playback. However, as it is natural that a lenovo user try to play blu-ray discs, I think that they are quite irresponsible.

I think a lot of people who read the Elecom webpage I cited in #45 have asked Lenovo and Mouse, and what I got from them was its outcome.

Back