• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

hostel 2 U.K.

sparkym5

Hostel Region 2 UK, AI Scanner found 2 less sector protections than the old way, 14 with the Scanner Disabled and 12 with Scanner Enabled, and once again with 6.1.8.4. problems with Disc having trouble being recognized by Dvd players, same problem as previously posted having to fast forward for 2 seconds before disc would play, then playback is perfect, Webbo please don't go on about the media again :disagree:

Attachments

• AnyDVD_Info_E_Hostel Part II AI Disabled.zip
    493.8 KB · Views: 9
  • AnyDVD_Info_E_Hostel Part II AI Enabled.zip
    496.7 KB · Views: 3
Webbo please don't go on about the media again :disagree:

You still using that Ritek junk? Then you know why you're having problems (either that or it seems your burner is slowly dying).
There's a pretty simple way to eliminate your choice of blank media being the problem. Try Taiyo Yuden premiums

There's no issue with this disc in Region 1. I'm not sure about the U.K.

However, based on the fact you've had a number of other similar issues, I suggest the problem you're having isn't related to Anydvd, but in fact, poor burn quality related to bad blank media.

Here's one way to check if the issue you're having may be related to a bad burn:

Download Nero cd-dvd speed. It's a free program. Select the tab labeled "scandisc". Select the appropriate drive letter, and click "start". If Nero cd-dvd speed reports read errors, your backup is bad.

Does the backup play in your computer? Or do you also have to fast forward the disc when watching it on your computer?

14 with the Scanner Disabled and 12 with Scanner Enabled

This doesn't necessarily indicate anything, and the difference in what is reported is typical.

Last edited:
The only way I see this being an Anydvd issue is if the problem with 8 Below (Japan) is being repeated. http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=8619

But I doubt that's the case here.

The description of the problems you've been having are consistent with bad burns.

But I thank you for uploading the .ifos at least. Maybe James will take a look and confirm whether Anydvd is handling this disc properly.

Last edited:
If Nero cd-dvd speed reports read errors, your backup is bad.
Done all this before all the discs with the playback problems since 6.1.8.4 upgrade are 100% clean.
Read the thread by jinjin_jp and re-encoded all the Dvd's that had playback errors with the Al Scanner disabled, and all the new backups played fine with no errors, seems jinjin_jp may have indeed unearthed a bug within the scanner, certainly rectified my playback issue, but will still be upgrading my media just to appease you, even though I am now convinced it was not the media but the scanner all along IMO.
Thanks for your help.

Read the thread by jinjin_jp and re-encoded all the Dvd's that had playback errors with the Al Scanner disabled, and all the new backups played fine with no errors

O.k., that does indicate the issue is Anydvd to me. Thank you very much for your findings. And I apologize if you feel I've mislead you.

Could you do me a huge favour and list all the original discs you were having problems with?

Also, what burning program do you use?

I would then suggest that if you're happy using your Ritek blank media, then continue doing so. People should probably use what they are happy with. That said, Taiyo Yuden premiums are better, but I tend to prefer recommending people switch to better blank media when they are experiencing problems.

Last edited:
Could you do me a huge favour and list all the original discs you were having problems with?
Spiderman 3, Fantastic 4 Rise of the Silver Surfer and Hostel 2.
Also, what burning program do you use?
I have always made my backup copies up with CloneDvd, but tried CloneDvd, Recode and Shrink on all these titles with the Al Scanner Enabled and cannot say I had consistant success with any of the encodes.
I used CloneDvd with all the re-encodes with the Al Scanner disabled and they were fine.
And I apologize if you feel I've mislead you.
Not necessary, you try to be objective and rationalize every problem by an elimination process with the stickies, so people can hopefully work out their own problems thru known issues, I for one apprieciate the time and effort you and other high profile members who help out with thier expert opinions and advice, a forum is a place where people should be able to express an opinion no matter how inexperienced thier comments may seem.
You'll get No Complaints from me :)

Hostel Region 2 UK, AI Scanner found 2 less sector protections than the old way, 14 with the Scanner Disabled and 12 with Scanner Enabled, and once again with 6.1.8.4. problems with Disc having trouble being recognized by Dvd players, same problem as previously posted having to fast forward for 2 seconds before disc would play, then playback is perfect, Webbo please don't go on about the media again :disagree:

Did Just back up this movie with latest AnyDVD & CloneDVD (main movie only)
AI Scanner enabled
Disc: Region 2 PAL
Same problem here:eek:
After 5-6 sec movie begins to play but the counter on the standalone player stays on 00:00:01

I tested the backup in the PC plays fine with PowerDVD
Also the counter is counting
Backup media use : TDK DVD-RW

Last edited:
Exactly what happened to me, although sometimes I had to nudge the timeclock forward using the fast forward on the remote as sometimes it froze at 0.00 without encouragement, I used the CloneDvd middle option and stripped everything out to leave only the main movie with the Menu's preserved and Disabled the Al Scanner, try it and see what happens then, it should playback, I'll also try it on the Copy Dvd Titles option and see if result are the same on playback. Recode also gives the 2 second delay when encoded with the scanner enabled so at least the problem shows the same consistancy on encodes.
I'll also try it on the Copy Dvd Titles option and see if result are the same on playback.
Yes, played back no problem main movie only with the menus not preserved and Scanner disabled.

Last edited:
Did Just back up this movie with latest AnyDVD & CloneDVD (main movie only)
AI Scanner enabled
Disc: Region 2 PAL
Same problem here:eek:
After 5-6 sec movie begins to play but the counter on the standalone player stays on 00:00:01

I tested the backup in the PC plays fine with PowerDVD
Also the counter is counting
Backup media use : TDK DVD-RW

Disable the A.I. scanner in Anydvd for this title.

Hostel Region 2 UK, AI Scanner found 2 less sector protections than the old way, 14 with the Scanner Disabled and 12 with Scanner Enabled, and once again with 6.1.8.4. problems with Disc having trouble being recognized by Dvd players, same problem as previously posted having to fast forward for 2 seconds before disc would play, then playback is perfect
You are copying movie only without menu, correct?

This problem will not happen, if you keep the menu (click "Copy Title", then "Preserve Menus") in CloneDVD.

Disable the A.I. scanner in Anydvd for this title.

Why do we actually need this AI scanner?
There are more problmes with or without this enabled
In settings i see (disabled, old method not recommended--> Why?)
Will some titles not work if you disabled it?

This problem will not happen, if you keep the menu (click "Copy Title", then "Preserve Menus") in CloneDVD.
Correct, playback is fine this way. With menus "Not Preserved" and using the same "Copy Title" method movie only, problem occurs again with the 2 second delay and having fast forward to force the copy to play, Al Scanner enabled on both rips.
Do you want any other methods with CloneDvd trying eg: Full Disc Rip?

Last edited:
James, what happens with Anydvd ripper rip with the A.I. scanner enabled?

The difference is, that the AI Scanner will leave the pre guard cells in the program chain, where the "old" method removes them.

I am not sure why leaving them causes problems, the disc should play fine (maybe a slight delay at the beginning).

I am still investigating how to solve this.

All of the problem discs which would not play back correctly on my Dvd players, have just been tried on my neighbours old "Pacific" Dvd Player and every one of the problem backup discs I had Spiderman 3, Fantastic 4 Silver Surfer and Hostel 2 all played straight away without any glitches whatsoever on the "Pacific", very weird. :confused:
Just completed a Full Disc backup with nothing taken out whatsoever, with the Menus Preserved and the Scanner Enabled of Hostel 2 and it played back fine, no pauses at beginning of copy whatsoever.

Last edited:
Back