• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Older PC game Heavy Gear II

Vortec MAX

I own a game called Heavy Gear II. It is an older PC game. You have to have the disc in the machine for it to play. I don't play it anymore, so I installed it on my kids' machine. Since he ruins every CD he comes in contact with, I tried to make a copy using CloneCD. The copy does not work. When you try to play the game with the copy in the drive, a dialog box pops up asking me to insert the game CD. The PC will recognize the original CD, but not a copy.

Anyone have experience with this CD or can offer suggestions?

Vortec MAX

1. If you have virtual drives, disable them. This includes Daemon Tools, Alcohol 120%, Virtual Clonedrive, and possibly Anydvd.
2. Remove packet writing software from your system (including Roxio's Directcd, Nero's Incd, Roxio/Sonic's DragtoDisc, Drive Letter Access, CyberLink InstantBurn, etc.)
3. What protection does your game use? Don't know? Find out before posting about issues (and include that information)! Use Protection ID. It's a free program. Use ProtectionID and scan your HD directory where the game is installed (right click the icon on your toolbar, and select "scan files/folders"). Or just scan the main program .exe(s) that you find in the game directory on your hard drive. Provide the protection name and the version number.

You may need to enable "Hide cd-r media" in Clonecdtray

Frankly, for games, Game Jackal is a better option.

Last edited:
1. If you have virtual drives, disable them while profiling and playing profiles. This includes Daemon Tools, Alcohol 120%, Virtual Clonedrive, and possibly Anydvd.

I don't know what "profiling" means.

2. Remove packet writing software from your system (including Roxio's Directcd, Nero's Incd, Roxio/Sonic's DragtoDisc, Drive Letter Access, CyberLink InstantBurn, etc.)

Frankly, I am not going to uninstall my Roxio software just to copy this stupid game.

3. What protection does your game use? Don't know? Find out before posting about issues (and include that information)! Use Protection ID. It's a free program. Use ProtectionID and scan your HD directory where the game is installed (right click the icon on your toolbar, and select "scan files/folders"). Or just scan the main program .exe(s) that you find in the game directory on your hard drive. Provide the protection name and the version number.

I tried to download this program, but my computer does not recognize the .rar file extension.

Frankly, for games, Game Jackal is a better option.

I quite honestly do not understand what Game Jackal does. I have read the ads for it, but I guess I am too dumb to comprehend.

I appreciate the help, but I thought it might be something simple. I am not going to uninstall this or install that to copy the game. I figured it might be a setting or something. It's much easier to just tell my kid he can't play it.

Vortec MAX

I don't know what "profiling" means.

Just disable them. I was (wrongly) referring to Game Jackal. Forget the "profiling part".

Frankly, I am not going to uninstall my Roxio software just to copy this stupid game.

I didn't say uninstall all of your Roxio software, just the packet writing junk. Regardless, if you have that packet writing nonsense on your system, you should uninstall it because it conflicts with a lot of Slysoft software and other programs (moreover it's unstable, and people should learn to use dvd-ram instead if they want drag-and-drop functionality).

I tried to download this program, but my computer does not recognize the .rar file extension.

Use the free Winrar trial: click http://www.rarlab.com/rar/wrar371.exe

I quite honestly do not understand what Game Jackal does. I have read the ads for it, but I guess I am too dumb to comprehend.

It allows you to run the game without requiring the original cd or backup in your computer.

I am not going to uninstall this or install that to copy the game.

Then, unfortunately, you're going to have a lot of problems resolving any issues you may have with software in general--much less, Slysoft's.

There's no point asking about backing up games without first knowing what copy protection is being used on the original disc.

Last edited:

I broke down and installed this program (I hate putting junk on my computer), then when I tried to open the .rar I downloaded from the link you provided, my virus protection caught it and said it was some kind of "malware." So I am not sure what is going on.

It allows you to run the game without requiring the original cd or backup in your computer.

That sounds good. Does it work even if the CD has copy protection on it?

Vortec MAX

I broke down and installed this program (I hate putting junk on my computer), then when I tried to open the .rar I downloaded from the link you provided, my virus protection caught it and said it was some kind of "malware." So I am not sure what is going on.

It's a false positive. The file does not contain malware. You can ignore the warning.

Winrar and ProtectionID hardly qualify as junk. Packet writing software, on the other hand . . .

That sounds good. Does it work even if the CD has copy protection on it?

Again, it depends on the copyprotection being used. Game Jackal tends to work well with Securerom and Safedisc protected games. Game Jackal does not work with Starforce (neither does Clonecd for that matter).

Last edited:
It's a false positive. The file does not contain malware. You can ignore the warning.

You are positive about this? Here is what it says:

McAfee has automatically blocked and quarantined a Trojan.

Details
Detection: New Malware.aq (Trojan)
File Path: C:\Documents and Settings\Michael\Local Settings\Temp\Rar$EX00.406\Protection_ID.exe

It does not sound very good.

Vortec MAX

You are positive about this? Here is what it says:

McAfee has automatically blocked and quarantined a Trojan.

Details
Detection: New Malware.aq (Trojan)
File Path: C:\Documents and Settings\Michael\Local Settings\Temp\Rar$EX00.406\Protection_ID.exe

It does not sound very good.

Yeah, the warning is complete nonsense. Others have received the warning as well.

Even Anydvd occasionally will trigger someone's antivirus program. The antivirus program is at fault provided Anydvd is downloaded directly from Slysoft's website.

I could write disparaging comments about Mcafee's antivirus product, but I won't bother.

I did a search on Google and found two different references to SafeDisc on Heavy Gear II. So I am assuming that is what is protecting it.

Well I got that program to work, but I don't know how to work it very well. One message I saw quite a bit while scanning the files on the disc was "Possible CD/DVD-Check String." I don't know if that helps, but there it is.

Vortec MAX

Last edited:
I did a search on Google and found two different references to SafeDisc on Heavy Gear II. So I am assuming that is what is protecting it.

Vortec MAX

Protections on discs can also vary by country. And without knowing the specific version of Safedisc being used, I'm still in the dark.

Generally speaking, selecting "hide cd-r media" in Clonecdtray may work, but depending on the version fo Safedisc being used (if it's being used at all), Game Jackal may be a far wiser choice here.

I don't go around these forums, telling people to install trojans, Vortec Max. If I tell you the download doesn't have a trojan in it, it doesn't have a trojan in it. It would be a pretty stupid thing for a moderator to do.

Last edited:
I tried to make another copy, and I could not find this setting. When you say Clonecdtray, are you talking about an icon in the taskbar? I don't have one. Can you tell me more?

Also, should I be selection "Protected PC Game" as the read and write discs?

Vortec MAX

Back