• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Hey James FYI - It's still doing it.

Clams

Hi!

I just loaded AnyDVD 6.1.8.4 onto one of my non-internet machines. The root-certificate update bug is still there. Windows is still trying to update it's root certificates, and when it fails (6 trys) it's still tripping the same error messages that 6.1.7.4 did:

Failed auto update retrieval of third-party root list sequence number from: <http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootseq.txt> with error: 0x8ca

I'm using XP , not 2000 - and this is the same bug that appeared in 6.1.7.4 (but not in 6.1.7.2).
Depepnding on what kind of security software a machine has, it's still causing same false alarms, and over-zealous protection software calls it a virus.

-W

Last edited:
For what its worth I have been running AnyDVD v6.1.8.4 since 12Oct07 on a WinXP box which doesn’t have InterNet connection. Under Settings have “Automatically Check For New AnyDVD Version” box unchecked. This WinXP box also does not have any FireWall and there have not been ANY attempts by any program to access the InterNet.

Regards,
Coaster

Did you have the problem with 6.1.7.4 at all??

Take a look in Event Viewer > Application.... report what you find please.

-W

Failed auto update retrieval of third-party root list sequence number from: <http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootseq.txt> with error: 0x8ca

To me this looks like Windows wants to verify/check Anydvd's certificate--and Windows does this via the Anydvd process. It's not really Anydvd trying to check anything; it's Windows that initiates the check.

If this is an Anydvd bug, I'm sure James will address it eventually.

Last edited:
That's absolutely correct Mr. Slinger !!
We've been around this block once already. James declared it's a bug introduced with 6.1.7.4 and (I think) he thought it was cured with 6.1.8.4 judging by the release notes.

I just tried 6.1.8.4 on a non-internet machine and it's still doing it.
Whatever AnyDVD 6.1.7.1 (and previous) versions were doing - Windows didn't feel the need to check the root certificates until 6.1.7.4.

-W

Windows didn't feel the need to check the root certificates until 6.1.7.4.

Then it stands to reason that the root certificates in Anydvd have changed, perhaps to keep up to date with the latest Microsoft OS root certificate updates (but I'm just speculating). Windows XP updates do include newer root certificate updates, so perhaps Windows is looking to update/patch your OS but can't since it's not connected to the internet.

Last edited:
Yes.. we know AnyDVD is causing Windows to try to patch my root certificate list. We know (knew) all that, already.
I'm not really sure why we're talking in circles of agreement about this?

To review: As of last writing, James declared this whole root certificate business to be a bug he would deal with. I was just letting him know that 6.1.8.4 is still doing it.

We've also determined already that it's this issue that's tripping security / virus flags on PC's with over-zealous protection software. ie As soon as Windows can't update to get a valid root-certificate for AnyDVD, the security software passes quick and rash judgement and calls it a virus or something bad.

-W (anyone else got a sence of deja-vu reading all this?? :D)

Last edited:
Yes.. we know AnyDVD is causing Windows to try to patch my root certificate list. We know (knew) all that, already.
I'm not really sure why we're talking in circles of agreement about this?

I'm suggesting why not allow Windows to update your root certificate list, and I'm also wondering whether the problem goes away if you let Windows update. This seems to me as though it might be one solution, considering James may not address this issue for a little while (possibly not this week). If you don't mind waiting, then I suppose that's not a problem.

Last edited:
I would do just that... except that I'm stuck with a dial-up here at the lake-house and only ONE machine has a modem it it. (and 3 machines are in rooms without even a phone line)

I'd rather wait (over a week) for the issue to be fixed than to screw around with Windows and/or my network and enable and disable internet connection sharing crappola. I was just letting James know that it's still doing it, and that it's behind most of the security false-alarm complaints on this board since 6.1.7.4 released.

And even then - I'd have to leave one machine disconnected.. how else would I be able to tell James if it's fixed or not?? :D

-W

I'd rather wait (over a week) for the issue to be fixed than to screw around with Windows and/or my network and enable and disable internet connection sharing crappola.

Fair enough. I suspect you may have to wait a bit.

Which I was prepared to do. :D
Do me a favor and delete everything but the OP? (including this post)
All our circular twaddle does nothing for the purpose of the topic... which was only to gives James a heads up that the issue that first presented in 6.1.7.4 is still there - and still tripping over zealous security software.

-W

Which I was prepared to do. :D
Do me a favor and delete everything but the OP? (including this post)
All our circular twaddle does nothing for the purpose of the topic... which was only to gives James a heads up that the issue that first presented in 6.1.7.4 is still there - and still tripping over zealous security software.
-W

I think I would prefer to leave the thread the way it is. By offering an explanation of what's going on, I hope to avoid getting a bunch of people posting in here offering a bunch of suggestions . . .

Edit: I may decide to merge this thread into the Anydvd 6.1.8.4 thread at some point so that James may be more likely to see your responses.

Last edited:
Fair enough. I suspect you may have to wait a bit.

Why? I (and many others) were hoping for an update soon that fixes the titles that are broken with version 6.1.8.4.

What has happened to James that he can't update AnyDVD for a long time?

Why? I (and many others) were hoping for an update soon that fixes the titles that are broken with version 6.1.8.4.

What has happened to James that he can't update AnyDVD for a long time?
Considering they have been working on BD+, AACS MBK 4, the AI Scanner, and a few other things, it is not surprising. I don't know that 11 days is a long time though.

This thread has nothing to do with movies or decryption, which I didn't comment on.

Last edited:
Back