• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Any chance of a Mac port?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avery

Any chance of AnyDVD seeing a port to Mac OS/X? It's a great product and it even runs flawlessly under Parallels on the Mac.

I am aware of similar products for the Mac, but I like AnyDVD and have been using it (legally and purchased).

Avery

Hi Avery,

No, sorry. There will be no AnyDVD version for Mac...

this is an faq, can't we ban new users who ask this question without searching? :policeman:

this is an faq, can't we ban new users who ask this question without searching? :policeman:

No. We can't. And leave the banning to the moderators please.

If I had to ban everyone who refused to search or read stickies before posting, there would be significantly less members here; and I would be doing nothing all day except banning people.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply Webslinger. I appreciate it.

Btw... clicking on the FAQ link brings up a search screen. Typing in "osx", "os/x", "mac", "anydvd port", and "macintosh" bring back no results from the search. Not sure if something isn't working right or what (maybe just user error), but it doesn't seem to return what I needed.

Just fyi... sometimes we do look. :agree:

Thanks again and congratz on the great product.

sorry about the rant Avery, i was having a bad day.

but the question does get asked a lot......

. Typing in "osx", "os/x", "mac", "anydvd port", and "macintosh" bring back no results from the search.

3 letter word searches (and smaller) will not work here. I believe the search terms must be four letters or bigger. Searching on "macintosh" will work (but won't provide all of the results, since a lot of people use "mac" to refer to "macintosh").

Hi Avery,

No, sorry. There will be no AnyDVD version for Mac...

May I ask why it is not even considered to make a Mac version? There are so many people asking for it and like your soft why not make one?

Thanks!

It was considered and they rejected it.

1. It already runs on Mac's using a windows box
2. The developers just don't want to do it.

-W

Thank you! It's sad. I have purchased AnyDVD long time ago and now being on a Mac I'm using different soft. Of course it doesn't matter as I already bought it, but the company loosing sales and customers. Not everyone want to run Windows box.

Mac

Thank you! It's sad. I have purchased AnyDVD long time ago and now being on a Mac I'm using different soft. Of course it doesn't matter as I already bought it, but the company loosing sales and customers. Not everyone want to run Windows box.

The user base is so small for MAC that it wouldn't be worth the effort or time or money to port it to MAC. And since it can be run on Windows on the MAC under a dual boot, no reason at all to make a MAC version. Rock on!! :rock:

FWIW, I can easily run AnyDVD in a Windows XP VM (VMware Fusion), ripping the files to the Mac side and burn them with Mac software. Still, it's easier to rip with a Mac native app and only use AnyDVD when that one fails. Since I already have to use Windows and Fusion for other purposes, there was no added cost, but it wouldn't have been worth it to buy Windows and Fusion just for AnyDVD. The user base for Mac is rapidly increasing, so maybe at some point it will be economically viable for you to port to Mac OS X.

Speaking as a Mac user of 20+ years, I can say you should count your blessings that you do have VMWare Fusion/Parallels Desktop/Boot Camp available to you as an option. It may not be worth it to you to buy Parallels+Windows just for AnyDVD, but you're choosing to be in the overwhelming minority of the installed computing base, so is there really a scenario in which that's the only thing you'd use it for? I live in Mac OS X 95% of the time but just the knowledge that I can run any Windows software I want to makes it overwhelmingly worth the investment. There's always some utility, converter, or new app I want to try. (In fact, you make this point, because you already had it for other purposes.)

Of course I'd love to see AnyDVD for Mac, but as a developer I can say it would be a lot of work, and a total start-over for such a low-level application. I can't always blame developers for thinking there's not an money/time/effort case for doing a Mac version of their software. Doesn't mean you shouldn't ask, and rally the Mac support base behind you, but you shouldn't really be let down when they say no. They're not obligated to provide it. The good news is that you have a solution that doesn't require another PC, which wasn't the case two years ago. I'm just happy AnyDVD exists at all.

Also, it must be said that the Mac lags behind Windows specifically for media playback -- it's one of the few things Windows simply does better. (Whereas for media creation, a Mac is fantastic, but I digress.) Windows just has way more software and hardware options, some of which MS deserves credit for. For example, MCE created a need for MyMovies, which (not exclusively) creates a need for AnyDVD. There's an ecosystem. Whereas Mac has its own ecosystem, a much tighter one than Windows does, but HD media playback is not part of it -- it's not easy to replace an optical drive in most Macs, and Apple doesn't provide a Blu-Ray option. This means no BD/HD software players, etc. There's really hardly any third-party DVD (SD) players, even. So developing AnyDVD for Mac would be great, and I'd love it and everything, but it would still be a missing piece of a puzzle. This is why I have Fusion and Boot Camp at the ready (and use a Vista Media Center attached to my TV, remote-controlled with the built in VNC client of Mac OS X).

Speaking as a Mac user of 20+ years, I can say you should count your blessings that you do have VMWare Fusion/Parallels Desktop/Boot Camp available to you as an option. It may not be worth it to you to buy Parallels+Windows just for AnyDVD, but you're choosing to be in the overwhelming minority of the installed computing base, so is there really a scenario in which that's the only thing you'd use it for? I live in Mac OS X 95% of the time but just the knowledge that I can run any Windows software I want to makes it overwhelmingly worth the investment. There's always some utility, converter, or new app I want to try. (In fact, you make this point, because you already had it for other purposes.)

Of course I'd love to see AnyDVD for Mac, but as a developer I can say it would be a lot of work, and a total start-over for such a low-level application. I can't always blame developers for thinking there's not an money/time/effort case for doing a Mac version of their software. Doesn't mean you shouldn't ask, and rally the Mac support base behind you, but you shouldn't really be let down when they say no. They're not obligated to provide it. The good news is that you have a solution that doesn't require another PC, which wasn't the case two years ago. I'm just happy AnyDVD exists at all.

Also, it must be said that the Mac lags behind Windows specifically for media playback -- it's one of the few things Windows simply does better. (Whereas for media creation, a Mac is fantastic, but I digress.) Windows just has way more software and hardware options, some of which MS deserves credit for. For example, MCE created a need for MyMovies, which (not exclusively) creates a need for AnyDVD. There's an ecosystem. Whereas Mac has its own ecosystem, a much tighter one than Windows does, but HD media playback is not part of it -- it's not easy to replace an optical drive in most Macs, and Apple doesn't provide a Blu-Ray option. This means no BD/HD software players, etc. There's really hardly any third-party DVD (SD) players, even. So developing AnyDVD for Mac would be great, and I'd love it and everything, but it would still be a missing piece of a puzzle. This is why I have Fusion and Boot Camp at the ready (and use a Vista Media Center attached to my TV, remote-controlled with the built in VNC client of Mac OS X).

I think the ideal compromise here is if Slysoft would be willing to take some time to get the following products working in CrossOver -

AnyDVD HD
TSmuxer
Eac3to (gui)
Delaycut

I think the "elby" facet is a challenge for CrossOver based on being virtual and "scsi."

With this combo, all Blu Ray is taken care of and no install of Fusion, Parallels or Windows required. This would give Slysoft a monopoly on the Mac side which is fine by me. Unlike Windows itself - ANYDVD HD works and does its job very well.

- Phrehdd

Thread closed. The same concept doesn't need to be expressed in multiple threads. :policeman:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back