• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AnyDVD HD and dual-layer DVD-R

MMM

Now that "AnyDVD HD" is on its way, what are we gonna burn our HD DVD movies to?

HD DVD-R blank media is expensive, at approximately $20+ a pop right now. Will a Dual-Layer DVD-R suffice with compression as DVD-Rs sufficed for Dual-layer movies.

From what I hear, HD movies are about 10GB and DL-DVD-Rs can hold <8.5GB and only cost about a $1, so will this be the best, most economical method?

And what will we use for compression? Will CLONE DVD be sufficient?

Aloha

Last edited:
Now that "AnyDVD HD" is on its way, what are we gonna burn our HD DVD movies to?
>snip<

Aloha

Right now SlySoft is offering Clone CD, Clone DVD (and Mobile) and AnyDVD.
James is working hard on AnyHD-DVD. I bet there will be a Clone HD-DVD product as well for compression, chapter trimming/splitting and such.

8)

I do believe AnyDVD HD is only going to play HD-DVDs. It will remove the encryption and allow you to watch the movie without an HDCP equipped video card and monitor. I don't think it will copy HD-DVDs because the media is way too expensive.

Anyway, why would you want to compress High Def content anyway. Just watch a normal DVD.

I do believe AnyDVD HD is only going to play HD-DVDs. It will remove the encryption and allow you to watch the movie without an HDCP equipped video card and monitor. I don't think it will copy HD-DVDs because the media is way too expensive.

Anyway, why would you want to compress High Def content anyway. Just watch a normal DVD.
Prices will go down just as they did with normal DVDs.

The same reason why many people backup and compress to a DVD-R single layer blank...getting away from the higher cost of DL DVD-Rs and getting nearly equivalent results. Save some $$$.

The same reason why many people backup and compress to a DVD-R single layer blank...getting away from the higher cost of DL DVD-Rs and getting nearly equivalent results. Save some $$$.
That's what I do.

separate purchase required?

There might be a discount for existing Anydvd owners, but it is a separate product. So yes, you will have to pay.

The big advantage or strength of AnyHD-DVD is for HTPC users, in my opinion.

Will AnyHD-DVD be a free upgrade, or separate purchase required?

From what I've read, it will be a discounted upgrade for continuing AnyDVD owners. I wish it was free and just an update.

Keep wishing. :D
It's an entirely new product. I'm not surprised it'll have its own license fee at all. I'd be shocked if it didn't.

-W

From what I've read, it will be a discounted upgrade for continuing AnyDVD owners. I wish it was free and just an update.
That would be unfair to ask. As it is, Slysoft only charges you once for the lifetime use of AnyDVD, if the upgrade was free how would they make money?

If i buy it, does that mean i would have 2 programs? Or would it just work one both?

MMM said:

No the key you have now will still allow you to get anydvd updates and is replacing the older version when released, as stated this will do DVD or HD-DVD the only thing is if you don't pay the upgrade anydvd will not work on HD-DVD from what I understand or am I off here?

hd dvd burners

I am in Canada and cant even find a HD DVD burners any ideas where i can purchase one from? By the way great idea this forum

There was a post stating that we would only have to pay the difference in price from anydvd to anydvd hd.Im not sure how much it will be but im sure they will be fair as they have been with unlimited updates and so on.They have to make something in order to keep developing new products and im just glad to hear that theres even going to be a anydvd hd.Keep up the good works guys!

I am in Canada and cant even find a HD DVD burners any ideas where i can purchase one from? By the way great idea this forum
I'm not sure if an HD-DVD burner is available to the general public yet. I'll look into it.

Heres the post

http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=6257&postcount=98

Yea it would be really nice if they did know anything about a clondvd hd to say dvd dual layer being possible.If you knew that it was possible and our current dual layer burners would work then a cheap way out is if you have a xbox 360 you can get the add-on drive for 200 plug it in to youre pc and download the driver and youre good to go can use it for ripping burn to dual layer and watch it on the 360 in HD.Would have a way of backing up and watching until burners and players came down in price.Now that would be sweet

HD DVD-R blank media is expensive, at approximately $20+ a pop right now. Will a Dual-Layer DVD-R suffice with compression as DVD-Rs sufficed for Dual-layer movies.

From what I hear, HD movies are about 10GB and DL-DVD-Rs can hold <8.5GB and only cost about a $1, so will this be the best, most economical method?

Aloha
The good thing: HD-DVD players accept HD-DVD "structures" on standard "red laser" DVDs as well. I am not sore, but I believe Blu-ray standalone players do not. (If this is true, Blu-ray sucks big time!:D )
So yes, it makes perfectly sense to use DVD+-r DL discs for HD content. Compression will almost be impossible if you want to keep the quality (it already is compressed much more than normal DVDs), but leaving out soundtracks (especially the lossless ones) would make at least the main movie fit on DL discs.
For movies longer than 2 hours, you still can split.

Back