• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Dragonslayer

That's how I feel about the UHD of Star Wars 4, 5 and 6 so this is my ongoing project

You should check out Project 4K77. They did 4K scans of the original films.

Very interesting! But believe me - Dave can do at least as good as them. I had some shorter clips from him from other movies and they were fantastic. Especially the DTS-MA sound.

Is Dave doing upscales? These aren't upscales. They're scans of the original source elements.

Sie sollten sich Project 4K77 ansehen. Sie machten 4K-Scans der Originalfilme.
I've already compared the work of Project 4K77 with Dave's latest regrade of Star Wars A New Hope. They fall far short of this quality.

Attachments

• Star.Wars.4K77.2160p.UHD.DNR.35mm.x265-v1.0.txt
    5.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Star.Wars.4K77.MULTi.2160p.UHD.no-DNR.35mm.x265.v1.0.txt
    15.1 KB · Views: 2
  • STAR WARS 4-EINE NEUE HOFNUNG (REGRADED) Iso UHD HDR.txt
    15.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Return of the Jedi 4K83 2160p UHD 35mm x265-v1 0 (Scan).txt
    12 KB · Views: 0
  • Star.Wars.4K77.2160p.UHD.DNR.35mm.x265-v1.0 (Scan).txt
    23 KB · Views: 1
well I now have one of 4K77,
05-Star.Wars.4K77.2160p.UHD.DNR.35mm.x265-v1.0 and the quality is really funny :whistle:

View attachment 69723 View attachment 69724 :banghead:

1.0 versions are preservation scans. They are the raw 4K scans of the 35mm film, before any cleanup such as color correction, etc.

Also, if you are trying to compare the quality of these scans with a remastered blu-ray, you're completely missing the point of the project.

Last edited:
If anyone is interested in this and still on the fence, the Blu-ray $14.99 and the 4K is on sale for $19.99 (Amazon US).

If anyone is interested in this and still on the fence, the Blu-ray $14.99 and the 4K is on sale for $19.99 (Amazon US).

That's not bad, that's the going rate for a 4k disc.

Yeah, and when I pre-ordered it, it was $24. What I like about Amazon is when you pre-order, you always get the lowest prices it goes to.

I did not know that!

Amazon.com listing for the Blu-ray has been updated. Official cover art is looking good. (y)

View attachment 69659
I notice that the current pricing for the Blu-ray is "only" 17% off the list price. Even at the full suggested retail price of US$19.99 + tax is still a decent price for the movie. The 4K release is 23% off, from US$25.99 to US$19.99.

I don't have a 4K stand-alone player, only one TV capable of dealing with that input, and no computer 4K drives. The cost of going that extra step upgrade is sadly beyond my limited and very fixed income. :(

I notice that the current pricing for the Blu-ray is "only" 17% off the list price. Even at the full suggested retail price of US$19.99 + tax is still a decent price for the movie. The 4K release is 23% off, from US$25.99 to US$19.99.

I don't have a 4K stand-alone player, only one TV capable of dealing with that input, and no computer 4K drives. The cost of going that extra step upgrade is sadly beyond my limited and very fixed income. :(
I'm still at 2K myself. Have no desire to upgrade my home theater receiver, Blu-ray players, HDMI switches, cabling and projector, all of which are limited to 1080p. I watch all my content at 150" diagonal, the primary seating position being 14 feet away. The level of detail is more than sufficient. ;)

I'm still at 2K myself. Have no desire to upgrade my home theater receiver, Blu-ray players, HDMI switches, cabling and projector, all of which are limited to 1080p. I watch all my content at 150" diagonal, the primary seating position being 14 feet away. The level of detail is more than sufficient. ;)

I only buy 4Ks when the blu-ray is either unavailable or deficient in someway where the former isn't. I'm only buying the 4K of Dragonslayer because it's one of my all-time favorites and I thought I'd never see it on blu-ray, let alone 4K.

Last edited:
If you really want to upscale from 1080p to 4K, the program to use is DaVinci Resolve Studio. It's made by Blackmagic. It's a bit expensive but for what it does, it's great. There is a bit of a learning curve, but nothing the people here can't handle. I think its a free trial, not sure though.

I was poking around at IMDb, reading up on Dragonslayer while we wait for the release I ran across a rather interesting bit of trivia about Peter MacNicol.

Apparently he is embarrassed about being in the movie, this was his movie debut. So embarrassed he doesn't list on his acting resume.

It has been years since I've seen the movie, on the movie services like HBO or rented DVD, but what I do remember is the flick is rather well made, with a literate script and some very decent acting.

Mr. McNicol's post Dragonslayer resume isn't all that impressive, maybe he needs to get over himself and recognize he was a part of something special and well crafted. A cult favorite in the same vein as The Last Starfighter. A movie that was a big cut above the usual summer blockbuster campy fodder.

I was poking around at IMDb, reading up on Dragonslayer while we wait for the release I ran across a rather interesting bit of trivia about Peter MacNicol.

Apparently he is embarrassed about being in the movie, this was his movie debut. So embarrassed he doesn't list on his acting resume.

It has been years since I've seen the movie, on the movie services like HBO or rented DVD, but what I do remember is the flick is rather well made, with a literate script and some very decent acting.

Mr. McNicol's post Dragonslayer resume isn't all that impressive, maybe he needs to get over himself and recognize he was a part of something special and well crafted. A cult favorite in the same vein as The Last Starfighter. A movie that was a big cut above the usual summer blockbuster campy fodder.
I think a lot of (overly serious) actors are embarrassed by their sci-fi/fantasy roots, thinking it's beneath them. Kristen Cloke gets livid if you call Space: Above and Beyond, sci-fi. She insists it was a "military show in space."

Back