• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

trouble with CSS key archive between updates

I have really enjoyed Slysoft...no coasters yet....I have tried other one and they suck...what do you guys think?:agree:

I paid for ANYDVD, and I keep it up to date. Lately, I have had my CSS key archive wiped out each time I uninstall the old version and install the new version. Is my problem caused by the uninstall process?
Updates are coming very frequently lately and I have trouble installing the
new version when I do not uninstall the old one.
How does one have the most current version running each time to avoid the notification of the same new version?
I like the idea of having the CSS KEY ARCHIVE filling up. Any ideas out there?

I paid for ANYDVD, and I keep it up to date. Lately, I have had my CSS key archive wiped out each time I uninstall the old version and install the new version. Is my problem caused by the uninstall process?
Updates are coming very frequently lately and I have trouble installing the
new version when I do not uninstall the old one.
How does one have the most current version running each time to avoid the notification of the same new version?
I like the idea of having the CSS KEY ARCHIVE filling up. Any ideas out there?

Uninstalling doesn't give you the option to save your CSS archive. You can, however, manually export the archived keys to a file and then import it when you re-install.

Go to the CSS keys section under the Video DVD portion of the program. Highlight CSS keys at the top that has the + or - next to it and export it. This contains all your keys if you highlight CSS Keys and not a single key. What it's actually doing is exporting the registry info that AnyDVD saves concerning the keys.

Last edited:
It's up to you, of course, if you want to use this feature. Keep in mind if Anydvd happens to get the CSS key wrong the first time, it will then aways get that key wrong in subsequent attempts, because Anydvd will be retrieving the wrong key from the archive instead of trying to obtain it properly again.

Maybe AnyDVD should save the CSS key archive like it does with the other settings.

It's up to you, of course, if you want to use this feature. Keep in mind if Anydvd happens to get the CSS key wrong the first time, it will then aways get that key wrong in subsequent attempts, because Anydvd will be retrieving the wrong key from the archive instead of trying to obtain it properly again.

:agree:

i don't keep any keys

Me either, I never understood how the CSS key archive could benefit me.

from http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=671606&postcount=4

"There are many reasons to archive the CSS keys.

Depending on the situation (region mismatch, brute force attack required, amount of vulnerable blocks) calculating the CSS key can take quite long.
Keeping this key in an archive will speed up the process in the future.

Some drives (RICOH, Philips) can reveal the correct title keys due to a firmware bug even on region mismatch, but it is required to open and close the drive tray after key exchange.
I believe AnyDVD is the only Software, that does use the "open/close tray trick" to get correct title keys from these drives, even if there are not enough vulnerable blocks available for a brute force attack.
Opening / closing the tray is very annoying, but because of the CSS Key archive this has to be done only once. The next time you insert the same DVD, the keys will be taken from the archive.
Sometimes AnyDVD is not able to get the key with a brute force attack, and it will "guess" the correct key (usually correctly). You can change/verify the guessed keys in the archive. If you change the "Substitute" flag from yes to no, AnyDVD will take the "guessed" key for granted and will no longer display a warning message.
If you messed up the archive, AnyDVD can delete single keys, all keys for a title or the whole archive if you wish.
You can even import/export/edit keys. e.g., you have a second computer with a drive, which can reveal the keys without brute force attack. You can transfer the keys from one computer to another.
Last but not least, you can compare / exchange keys with other software, e.g. DVDDecrypter.
The key archive is kept in the registry, together with a MD5 checksum to identify the title the keys belong to."

-- James

... exactly my thinking ....

I haven't kept the key archive - for a great while - either
- and never any trouble with AnyDVD cracking CSS - since Disabling

Why would you even want to keep them ? ( edit: Oh ! ;) )
I never noticed any difference in the 'speed' of 'Decryption'

:confused:

Last edited:
from http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=671606&postcount=4

"There are many reasons to archive the CSS keys.

Depending on the situation (region mismatch, brute force attack required, amount of vulnerable blocks) calculating the CSS key can take quite long.
Keeping this key in an archive will speed up the process in the future.

Some drives (RICOH, Philips) can reveal the correct title keys due to a firmware bug even on region mismatch, but it is required to open and close the drive tray after key exchange.
I believe AnyDVD is the only Software, that does use the "open/close tray trick" to get correct title keys from these drives, even if there are not enough vulnerable blocks available for a brute force attack.
Opening / closing the tray is very annoying, but because of the CSS Key archive this has to be done only once. The next time you insert the same DVD, the keys will be taken from the archive.
Sometimes AnyDVD is not able to get the key with a brute force attack, and it will "guess" the correct key (usually correctly). You can change/verify the guessed keys in the archive. If you change the "Substitute" flag from yes to no, AnyDVD will take the "guessed" key for granted and will no longer display a warning message.
If you messed up the archive, AnyDVD can delete single keys, all keys for a title or the whole archive if you wish.
You can even import/export/edit keys. e.g., you have a second computer with a drive, which can reveal the keys without brute force attack. You can transfer the keys from one computer to another.
Last but not least, you can compare / exchange keys with other software, e.g. DVDDecrypter.
The key archive is kept in the registry, together with a MD5 checksum to identify the title the keys belong to."

-- James
Seems like a waste to me, I've never needed to do this, it always cracks the CSS key.

... exactly my thinking ....

I haven't kept the key archive - for a great while - either
- and never any trouble with AnyDVD cracking CSS - since Disabling

Why would you even want to keep them ?
I never noticed any difference in the 'speed' of 'Decryption'

:confused:
Same here.

I suppose it becomes a case of personal preference. I have never had a problem with loading and running updates... If the css keys are an issue for some, and the program seems to work the same, go for it!

All in all, I think the fact that many don't use nor find merit in the feature doesn't really matter at all. The fact that the feature exists says enough. Since AnyDVD already has the ability to save information when it's removed it would be nice a nice to have the option added when uninstalling to retain the CSS Key Archive.

Sometimes when asking a question it's nice to just get an answer to the actual question. Exporting is the only way to do what the OP wanted at the current time.

All in all, I think the fact that many don't use nor find merit in the feature doesn't really matter at all. The fact that the feature exists says enough. Since AnyDVD already has the ability to save information when it's removed it would be nice a nice to have the option added when uninstalling to retain the CSS Key Archive.

Sometimes when asking a question it's nice to just get an answer to the actual question. Exporting is the only way to do what the OP wanted at the current time.
That's what I suggested earlier, you should be able to save the archive when uninstalling or when reinstalling a new version it should not be lost.

Back