• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

virus

stschaub

AnyDVD 6184 posts a virus warning with all of my virus scanners. 6174 works fine. Uninstall 6184, but retain registration information and then reinstall 6174. Slysoft obviously needs to debug 6184.

AnyDVD 6184 posts a virus warning with all of my virus scanners. 6174 works fine. Uninstall 6184, but retain registration information and then reinstall 6174. Slysoft obviously needs to debug 6184.

Really? Cause it doesn't with mine. At all.

No problem whatsoever here either.:disagree:;)

There is no virus in any Slysoft product, provided you downloaded directly from Slysoft's website. Period.

It never ceases to amaze me how members can make their very first post one of such an accusatory nature.:doh:

Well, if they downloaded the installer from the Slysoft website it contains no virus. They should contact the maker of their antivirus software and report this as a false positive.

Sounds like a Norton scenario to me. :D

Except that both Norton (and even Mcafee) are not reporting viruses with Anydvd. I know this because McAfee came pre-installed on my laptop (much to my chagrin . . . I'm just waiting for it to expire, and then I'll switch), and I know someone who runs Norton Antivirus and Anydvd all the time.

Norton Antivirus has a bad reputation and is flogged for problems with being a system/resource hog ("Norton is just takes over your entire system" was one common complaint). These accusations were true about 3-5 years ago. I'm not a huge fan of Norton Antivirus, but it's had a surprisingly good track record (and I'm not so sure the negativity towards Norton Antivirus is completely accurate anymore) with Virus Bulletin (http://www.virusbtn.com).

Last edited:
Norton's "track record" hasn't seen any improvement that I am aware of. It is still plagued with false reporting and is not effective against many of the newer Trojans out there.

Except that both Norton (and even Mcaffe) are not reporting viruses with Anydvd.

Norton Antivirus has a bad reputation and is flogged for problems with being a system/resource hog ("Norton is just takes over your entire system" was one common complaint). These accusations were true about 3-5 years ago. I'm not a huge fan of Norton Antivirus, but it's had a surprisingly good track record (and I'm not so sure the negativity towards Norton Antivirus is completely accurate anymore).

It is. My mom was using it for a while. It sucked. Now, the CORPORATE version was great, but, the personal version is a piece of junk. I use Kaspersky myself. AWESOME AV program. Even better than the one put out by the company I work for. :D BitDefender is good, but, it gave me SERIOUS problems with Firefox so I had to stop using it which sucked. Kaspersky, though, is highly recommended.

Norton's "track record" hasn't seen any improvement that I am aware of. It is still plagued with false reporting and is not effective against many of the newer Trojans out there.

Not according to Virus Bulletin . . .

Test history

October 2007 - Symantec AntiVirus

Product name: Symantec AntiVirus
More: October 2007 in full
Review: Symantec AntiVirus on Netware 6.5
August 2007 - Symantec AntiVirus 10.2.0.298

Product name: Symantec AntiVirus 10.2.0.298
More: August 2007 in full
Review: Symantec AntiVirus 10.2.0.298 on Windows Vista x64
June 2007 - Symantec AntiVirus 1.0.0.359

Product name: Symantec AntiVirus 1.0.0.359
More: June 2007 in full
Review: Symantec AntiVirus 1.0.0.359 on Windows XP
April 2007 - Symantec AntiVirus 1.0.1.66

Product name: Symantec AntiVirus 1.0.1.66
More: April 2007 in full
Review: Symantec AntiVirus 1.0.1.66 on SUSE Linux
February 2007 - Symantec AntiVirus 10.2.0.276

Product name: Symantec AntiVirus 10.2.0.276
More: February 2007 in full
Review: Symantec AntiVirus 10.2.0.276 on Windows Vista

PC-cillin fails same test August 2007

Test history

August 2007 - Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 2007 15.30.1239

Product name: Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 2007 15.30.1239
Review: Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 2007 15.30.1239 on Windows Vista x64
June 2007 - Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 2007 15.30.1151

Product name: Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 2007 15.30.1151
Review: Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 2007 15.30.1151 on Windows XP

AVG fails June 2007 on XP

August 2007 - Grisoft AVG Professional Edition 7.5.476

Product name: Grisoft AVG Professional Edition 7.5.476
Review: Grisoft AVG Professional Edition 7.5.476 on Windows Vista x64
June 2007 - Grisoft AVG 7.5 Professional Edition

Product name: Grisoft AVG 7.5 Professional Edition
Review: Grisoft AVG 7.5 Professional Edition on Windows XP
April 2007 - Grisoft AVG 7.5

Product name: Grisoft AVG 7.5
More: April 2007 in full
Review: Grisoft AVG 7.5 on SUSE Linux
February 2007 - Grisoft AVG 7.5.433

Product name: Grisoft AVG 7.5.433
More: February 2007 in full
Review: Grisoft AVG 7.5.433 on Windows Vista

Kaspersky fails June 2007 on XP

October 2007 - Kaspersky Anti-Virus

Product name: Kaspersky Anti-Virus
More: October 2007 in full
Review: Kaspersky Anti-Virus on Netware 6.5
August 2007 - Kaspersky Anti-Virus 7.0.0.123

Product name: Kaspersky Anti-Virus 7.0.0.123
Review: Kaspersky Anti-Virus 7.0.0.123 on Windows Vista x64
June 2007 - Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0.2.621

Product name: Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0.2.621
Review: Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0.2.621 on Windows XP
April 2007 - Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Linux 5.5.9

There is no virus in any Slysoft product, provided you downloaded directly from Slysoft's website. Period.

Well, if they downloaded the installer from the Slysoft website it contains no virus. They should contact the maker of their antivirus software and report this as a false positive.

The person can download straight from slysoft the virus issue has to be obtained from using an alternative method to alter the registry other than the purchased slysoft registration key.

It is. My mom was using it for a while. It sucked. Now, the CORPORATE version was great

Well, yeah . . .
But presumably both products are using the same virus definitions.

And according to Virus Bulletin, Norton has one of the best track records for detecting viruses with 40 successes and 6 failures (8 no entries) since 1998.

Kaspersky has 40 Success / 14 Failure (0 no entries) since 1998.

A lot of people slag Norton/Symantec Antivirus, but I'm not seeing a lot of evidence from independent test sites to support that claim. In fact, I'm seeing quite the opposite. This doesn't imply Norton/Symantec Antivirus isn't a resource hog, but it's not failing tests recently that others are.

http://www.virusbtn.com/index

Virust Bulletin's testing has been around now for ahwile.

This also doesn't mean I'm going to be buying Symantec Antivirus anytime soon either. I'm just saying I'm not sure all the negativity towards the product is deserved.

Last edited:
The person can download straight from slysoft the virus issue has to be obtained from using an alternative method to alter the registry other than the purchased slysoft registration key.

I'm not completely clear on what you're saying, Charlie.

My point was that if upon installing AnyDVD using the installer from Slysoft's website there should be no virus warning. If there is when it is installed then the cause is a false positive.

If the warning appears when they've used an alternate means to register the software and/or the installer was downloaded from a source other than Slysoft that is a whole different story. In that case the virus may, very well, be real. The OP left out a few key things, though. They never mentioned the name of the virus or the AV program that they were using that detected it.

It is conceivable that an AV might falsely report AnyDVD as something that is nefarious without automatically thinking the person has done anything wrong. But without more information they really can't get much help from anyone.

Sure I'll elaborate. Download and install from slysoft. Reboot, install a reg other than one that might of ben purchased and a virus can occur. So install anydvd from slysoft is good but to alter the registration other than what one purchased from slysoft tends to lead to viruses.

Anyone hear anything about Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite 7? I love it...it found things that Norton never found. The anti-virus is supposed to be fueled by Kaspersky. I'm just wondering people's thoughts...8)

Anyone hear anything about Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite 7? I love it...it found things that Norton never found. The anti-virus is supposed to be fueled by Kaspersky. I'm just wondering people's thoughts...8)

I want it as soon as there is a vista 64 bit version available.

Back