• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

quick q's on verbatim taiwan vs. singapore

sleekblackroadster

i found some 50 packs of datalifeplus dvd+r verbatims on newegg.com.

the 16x pack is 18.99 and they say they are made in taiwan.

the 8x pack is 16.99 and they say they are made in singapore which i understand to be 'better'.

i'm looking at getting a new samsung sh-s203b 20x drive to burn with.

my q is which should i get?

if i get the 16x and burn them at 12x i should have good quality burns as far as what i've read.

but if i get the 8x does that mean i could burn them at 8x and get good quality or would i have to move down to 4x to get decent copies with them?

what to do? what to do?

thanks for any help!

Last edited:
i found some 50 packs of datalifeplus dvd+r verbatims on newegg.com.

the 16x pack is 18.99 and they say they are made in taiwan.

the 8x pack is 16.99 and they say they are made in singapore which i understand to be 'better'.

i'm looking at getting a new samsung sh-s203b 20x drive to burn with.

my q is which should i get?

They are both decent, but the ones from singapore should be slightly better in quality.

if i get the 16x and burn them at 12x i should have good quality burns as far as what i've read.

Possibly, if your burner can burn them at 12x.

but if i get the 8x does that mean i could burn them at 8x and get good quality

It depends on the burner (and the burner's firmware). I don't have that burner, so it's hard for me to advise anything.

Last edited:
the review on cdfreaks is stellar for this 20x samsung. i looked around at different drives and considered a pioneer but this one samsung has nothing but positives with the only negative being a single colored read/write led.

my favorite quote is:

'Not only was the performance excellent, recording the fastest burn times we have seen, but also the writing quality on our tested media was mostly very impressive.'

also supports bitsetting which is a +

http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Samsung-SH-S203B-DVD-Burner-Review

i hope its the right one to go with for a foolproof backup tool.. i hear of problems with pioneers and others and just want the one that will work well.

i think i may try a pack of each of the 16x and the 8x and see how they do.

sleekblackroadster

Look at Joshewah777 review FROM NEWEGG;The picture shows that the DVDs are manufactured in Singapore but the ones they shipped me were actually made in Taiwa.

Ijust got 2 50 packs of the ;
Verbatim DataLifePlus 4.7GB 8X DVD+R 50 Packs Cake Box DVD Media with Shiny Surface. $13.99 plus shipping
They were from Taiwa CMC made and burn great! I have a LITE-ON DVDRW SHM-165H6S HS0E can burn them at 6x or 8x but i get the best burn @ 8x. Takes like 8 to 9 min, to burn a 4.36GB movie with nero.

Look at Joshewah777 review FROM NEWEGG;The picture shows that the DVDs are manufactured in Singapore but the ones they shipped me were actually made in Taiwa.

The ones from Singapore are typically old stock (many places no longer have them).

Back