• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Most new computer cases no longer come with optical drive bays

Ugh, google defaulted me to the 1000D and i swore i could have read it too. 750D is even older than the 1000D. Yeah, that aint gonna happen. Nice try though. IF you find a modern one (say the last year or 2) i'm all years.

That aint gonna happen, point me to even 1 active hub that has the power and connections for 3 INTERNAL 5.25" drives.

Nice try? Not sure what you are out to prove man. I was just trying to show you what I ran in hopes it helped you. It wasn't a competition or anything. I did not mean it like that.

...and your source :sneaky:

A dedicated Plex machine fed by a NAS on a 2.5GB network. But the Rokus only run across wireless for this. They have ethernet but they only run at 100mb which is not fast enough.

A dedicated Plex machine fed by a NAS on a 2.5GB network. But the Rokus only run across wireless for this. They have ethernet but they only run at 100mb which is not fast enough.
Wrong answer. How do you receive your UHD content?

Wrong answer. How do you receive your UHD content?

I am thinking I just misunderstood your 3 word question more than having a wrong answer. But anyway, it comes from UHD discs.

This was the KIng of Optical Drive Cases, it was remade until 2007, this was the last iteration of the Thermaltake Armour

Thermaltake.jpg

I am thinking I just misunderstood your 3 word question more than having a wrong answer. But anyway, it comes from UHD discs.
I guessed so anyway :sneaky:. More or less a rhetorical question. But causality leads to UHD discs. And drives. And...

Reactions: DQ
I have not used an optical drive in 7 years, I do have 1 external one, just in case someday I might need it.

This is impossible. How can a super moderator for RedFox not use an optical drive? :D

Anyways, I guess this shows how a lot of people just use external USB. I can't imagine that discs are going to completely go away in favor of streaming. You just simply can't get the quality of 4K discs via streaming. And a PC that actually plays commercial 4K discs is going to need a drive connected to SATA (or external SATA). So no optical drives except USB justifies AnyDVD's existence, since you're going to need to rip a 4K disc using a 4K friendly drive in order to be able to watch it on a PC without an optical drive, or with external USB only.

This is impossible. How can a super moderator for RedFox not use an optical drive? :D

Anyways, I guess this shows how a lot of people just use external USB. I can't imagine that discs are going to completely go away in favor of streaming. You just simply can't get the quality of 4K discs via streaming. And a PC that actually plays commercial 4K discs is going to need a drive connected to SATA (or external SATA). So no optical drives except USB justifies AnyDVD's existence, since you're going to need to rip a 4K disc using a 4K friendly drive in order to be able to watch it on a PC without an optical drive, or with external USB only.
We are taking care of things and split the subjects. Redfox1 takes mostly care of Anystream and I take care of AnyDVD and CloneBD. Regarding the discs subject he will most likely answer himself but he had severe eye sight issues in the past. Seems to be at least OK again now.

We are taking care of things and split the subjects. Redfox1 takes mostly care of Anystream and I take care of AnyDVD and CloneBD. Regarding the discs subject he will most likely answer himself but he had severe eye sight issues in the past. Seems to be at least OK again now.
I'm glad that @RedFox 1 eyesight issue is being addressed.

Back on topic, I'm actually enjoying this discussion. Very informative.

:)

Its kind of funny because back at the turn of the century I worked at a computer company and optical drives were just becoming big with the advent of Pioneer BDR-101A (the first Blu-ray drive) in 2007. Before that BenQ had a stronghold on the business, and when they suddenly went out of business I knew another format was coming, at one time I owned over 50 BenQ optical, from DW1620 to the DW1655 and Taiyo Yuden ruled the disc business from Japan.

Regarding SATA you are wrong. You can place an ODD in an USB enclosure and you can rip as good as connected to SATA. Yes, that enclosure has to be compatible with ODDs. Some are not.

Nice try? Not sure what you are out to prove man. I was just trying to show you what I ran in hopes it helped you. It wasn't a competition or anything. I did not mean it like that.

Nor did i mate. Thats what i mean, it was a nice try! (y) Being corsair was even a bonus, they make good quality stuff. I love using them. It was a good suggestion, unfortunately, doesn't meet my requirements. Hence me saying, if you have any other suggestions, i'm all ears! I really wanna replace this aging case (even though its still in perfect shape). Please if you want, keep looking!

I'm glad that @RedFox 1 eyesight issue is being addressed.

Back on topic, I'm actually enjoying this discussion. Very informative.

:)
Thanks! The case I got is pretty good as cartman also confirmed. It just doesn't have the front fast USB ports. Be quiet has "German engineering" if you remember that old funny Volkswagen commercial. Yes, it was less funny after the Diesel scandal. But this company has good quality if you want to build a silent PC.

Regarding SATA you are wrong. You can place an ODD in an USB enclosure and you can rip as good as connected to SATA. Yes, that enclosure has to be compatible with ODDs. Some are not.

I'm talking about playing a commercial UHD disc on a PC using a commercial software player that can play original 4K discs. If computer cases don't have any space for optical drives, then I'm not certain if you can legitimately play commercial discs on such a build via an external USB drive or external USB enclosure. (Maybe via eSATA?) I could be wrong about that though.

Ripping of course is different and works fine in a USB enclosure. But that's illegal. :)

I really like the look of this one (Fractal Meshify 2 XL), except for the fact that it has no optical bays:

https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/meshify/meshify-2-xl-light-tempered-glass/black/

Fractal does make a model (Define) that is several years old now that supports two optical drives:

https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/define/define-7-xl-light-tempered-glass/black/

But, it looks pretty plain. The two optical drives mount on top, and the front of the case is a door that swings open. (I had to check the manual to confirm that, because from the pictures it does not look like there's any way to access any optical drives.)

I'm talking about playing a commercial UHD disc on a PC using a commercial software player that can play original 4K discs. If computer cases don't have any space for optical drives, then I'm not certain if you can legitimately play commercial discs on such a build via an external USB drive or external USB enclosure. (Maybe via eSATA?) I could be wrong about that though.

Ripping of course is different and works fine in a USB enclosure. But that's illegal. :)
It's not a problem to play a disc with a drive attached via USB e.g. with PowerDVD. Not at all. You are wrong about that.

Attachments

• 20220806_113722.jpg
    20220806_113722.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220806_113714.jpg
    20220806_113714.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220806_113808.jpg
    20220806_113808.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 5
Just speaking out of experience and to highlight the OP's statement the last 2 cases I bought I had to weed through hundreds of cases to find one with external bays. There were soooo many cool and nice cases I had to discount because there were no bays.

-BUT-

The next case I am thinking I will go enclosure with USB and give that a try. Am I wrong to think that so long as the drive is compatible I should be OK? Or are we stuck with SATA for compatibility/performance?

Not only do they no longer have optical drives, they are loading with annoying LED lights. I really don't want my computer to look like a Christmas tree.

inside enclosures there's gonna be a controlboard that converts the ODD's sata connector to USB. If there's gonna be a stability/performance problem with the drive, it's gonna be due to that control board. Then there's also the caveat that not all 5.25" enclosures support ODD's

Back