• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Most new computer cases no longer come with optical drive bays

Pelvis Popcan

People say, "Just use USB." Well, I want SATA on the internal connector, and I want a bay!

I would want a full size case that can fit an E-ATX motherboard, and have at least one 5.25" optical drive bay!

The only thing I could find that I really liked is a 10 year old case (again new case designs no longer have optical bays), the Phanteks Enthoo Primo:

https://phanteks.com/Enthoo-Primo.html

Has anyone else ran into this when building a new desktop PC? What did you do? Just use USB? Or did you find a case that you liked that has an optical drive bay?

I had this same issue. But you can find them and you will typically end up with a larger case.

Not any modern or good looking ones. I'd love to Replace my coolermaster Cosmos II with something more recent to have usb 3.2 gen 2x2 or usb c on front io. Problem is i NEED a case with 3 optical drives. NONE exist.

Yes of course modern and good looking ones (in my opinion) are available. Harder to find yes but they exist. I have a Corsair Obsidian 750D. It has 3 drive bays. Now you might not like the way it looks but that is of course highly subjective.

The Corsair Obsidian has 3 optical bays.

I'd love to know where they're located. Cause the specs say 5x 3.5" bays, 6x 2.5" bays. ZERO 5.25" bays (which is the size for internal optical drives). Even the gallery confirms it. The 750D has 3 bays, but zero usb c front io and i'd loose 2 usb 2 front io ports. Looks to bland too. Cosmos II has 6 usb (2x usb 3, 4x usb 2)

Enthoo does, but it looks like crap (at least to me)

I'd love to know where they're located. Cause the specs say 5x 3.5" bays, 6x 2.5" bays. ZERO 5.25" bays (which is the size for internal optical drives). Even the gallery confirms it. The 750D has 3 bays, but zero usb c front io and i'd loose 2 usb 2 front io ports. Looks to bland too. Cosmos II has 6 usb (2x usb 3, 4x usb 2)

Enthoo does, but it looks like crap (at least to me)

They are in the front top where external drive bays I guess would typically be. Located right below the power buttons and USB ports that it has 4 of.

USB Type C is rare on the case front
And why would you need 6 USB ports in front? :unsure:
I searched a lot lately and ended up with the Pure Base 600 as coopervid did.
I don't need something flashy, just some plain case.

What I really do miss on newer cases is the 10inch fan on the side ... liky my Sharkoon Rebel 12 has :rolleyes:
upload_2022-8-5_17-59-30.png

They are in the front top where external drive bays I guess would typically be. Located right below the power buttons and USB ports that it has 4 of.

That's not what the review video's and articles say.

Code:
https://forum.corsair.com/forums/topic/147020-obsidian-1000d-no-place-for-optical-drive/

zero optical drive bays. Now if you can point me to & video / article that actually shows them installed, then maybe. If you're referring to that "bulge" up top beneat the front IO, that's the front IO control board and sits behind the tempered glass. Non-removable. Still an "outdated design" though, 4+ year old case

USB Type C is rare on the case front

it was in the beginning of usb c, not now though. At least not in the medium and upper price range

That's not what the review video's and articles say.

Code:
https://forum.corsair.com/forums/topic/147020-obsidian-1000d-no-place-for-optical-drive/

zero optical drive bays. Now if you can point me to & video / article that actually shows them installed, then maybe. If you're referring to that "bulge" up top beneat the front IO, that's the front IO control board and sits behind the tempered glass. Non-removable. Still an "outdated design" though, 4+ year old case

it was in the beginning of usb c, not now though. At least not in the medium and upper price range

You are looking at the wrong one then.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...ies™-750D-Full-Tower-ATX-Case/p/CC-9011035-WW

Ugh, google defaulted me to the 1000D and i swore i could have read it too. 750D is even older than the 1000D. Yeah, that aint gonna happen. Nice try though. IF you find a modern one (say the last year or 2) i'm all years.

I just added an active USB hub. Done.

That aint gonna happen, point me to even 1 active hub that has the power and connections for 3 INTERNAL 5.25" drives.

I meant an external USB hub. I have 2 ODDs in the drive bays and a Sharkoon USB -> SATA adapter to add bare HDDs or another ODD. And an enclosure for another ODD via USB. And more. I'm good and don't miss anything.

Yeah, not gonna cut it for me i'm afraid. If it works for you, all the better. But i'm not gonna put an internal drive and turn it into an external drive via enclosure. That's more cables, more "adapters" and my desk is already crouded with my current setup.

Yeah, not gonna cut it for me i'm afraid. If it works for you, all the better. But i'm not gonna put an internal drive and turn it into an external drive via enclosure. That's more cables, more "adapters" and my desk is already crouded with my current setup.
Your choice. It fits my needs and I'm very flexible in that way. I also use the drive in the enclosure with my laptops and that was the way I detected the Libredrive active status all the time if Makemkv is invoked and the disc stays in the drive until ejecting. Very multi-purpose.

Yes of course modern and good looking ones (in my opinion) are available. Harder to find yes but they exist. I have a Corsair Obsidian 750D. It has 3 drive bays. Now you might not like the way it looks but that is of course highly subjective.
I have 4 Corsair Obsidian 650D cases in my garage that have 4 X5:25" drive bays, and a place on top of the case to insert another Hard drive, SSDs, or mechanical. Yes, it has a windowed side and it has some cool features. But no USB C or USB 3.2 but it's made of steel and will last until the end of time. I have not used an optical drive in 7 years, I do have 1 external one, just in case someday I might need it.
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Cases/Mid-Tower-ATX-Cases/Obsidian-Series™-650D-Mid-Tower-Case/p/CC650DW-1

Reactions: DQ
I have 4 Corsair Obsidian 650D cases in my garage that have 4 X5:25" drive bays, and a place on top of the case to insert another Hard drive, SSDs, or mechanical. Yes, it has a windowed side and it has some cool features. But no USB C or USB 3.2 but it's made of steel and will last until the end of time. I have not used an optical drive in 7 years, I do have 1 external one, just in case someday I might need it.
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Cases/Mid-Tower-ATX-Cases/Obsidian-Series™-650D-Mid-Tower-Case/p/CC650DW-1
People who want UHD quality have to deal with UHD discs and drives.

Back