• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

WMV support for Zune

cowboycasey

SlySoft,

I have been trying to get WMV into zune.. I have used the "experimental" encoder... it does make the file XX.WMV and will play in WMPlayer... when i go to add it to the zune and sync it, it gets about 70% through the process and says error... it is still trying to convert it to .WMV for some reason... any idea? I can create a .MP4 file and sync to zune, but it takes 50 min to create the .MP4 file then another hour to convert over to .WMV for the zune.. Anyone have an idea? maybe a differant encoder?.. :D

Thanks
Caowboy

I have had the same problem and found a work-around. First you need to follow the "hack" on this page: http://dailycupoftech.com/2006/11/28/the-ultimate-zune-hack-list/
After you complete that, you can copy the wmv files directly to the Zune as if it were a HD. The tricky bit is that you need to be syncing the Zune already with the Zune software to get it to drop its guard and allow permission. I use an mp4 that takes a long time to convert and while it is doing that, I go in the back door. In the My Computer directory, it will show two icons for the Zune, pick the one with the graphic icon. Just drag and drop to the Video directory on the Zune device.

I'm not sure why the Zune won't sync the wmv files generated with CloneDVDMobile, they work great with MPlayer and everything else. I also have to say that CloneDVDMobile generates the fastest/best wmv's I've seen, but that is my opinion.

One other thing I want to point out and may be the problem. In the directory for the Zune, if you right-click one of the wmv's transfered via the Zune software, and view its properties, you can see how all the fields populate with info such as screen width and height. Do the same with a wmv generated by CloneDVDMobile and not all of the fields populate and some have incorrect info (width is -32 and height is -96). This is just a guess.

I guess I spoke to soon. The WMVs run great on my PC, but when I copy them (can't sync them) to my Zune the playback, including sound, is a bit choppy. Didn't really notice this earlier because the DVD were old Dracula movies. The image and sound quality is very good otherwise. When I play them on my PC in MediaPlayer and look at the properties, the bit rate is always 905 with 128 for the audio. This is the case no mater what I set the bit rate to when encoding with CloneDVDMobile. This bit rate is maxing out the processor of the Zune. I am a noob with all this stuff, so this is just a guess. I am going to re-encode the WMVs with Windows Media Encoder and see if that answers it, but definately won't fix it. A single step from DVD to WMV is the only fix.

I guess I spoke to soon. The WMVs run great on my PC, but when I copy them (can't sync them) to my Zune the playback, including sound, is a bit choppy. Didn't really notice this earlier because the DVD were old Dracula movies. The image and sound quality is very good otherwise. When I play them on my PC in MediaPlayer and look at the properties, the bit rate is always 905 with 128 for the audio. This is the case no mater what I set the bit rate to when encoding with CloneDVDMobile. This bit rate is maxing out the processor of the Zune. I am a noob with all this stuff, so this is just a guess. I am going to re-encode the WMVs with Windows Media Encoder and see if that answers it, but definately won't fix it. A single step from DVD to WMV is the only fix.

I'll work with this today and see how it comes out on mine. I have college this morning so give me till the afternoon to do this and reply. Zune players in my opinion has the best quality in sound.

Thanks. If you look at the file in Movie Maker and view the properties, the framerate does't populate. I had a little success with WME. I re-encoded the first minute of a six minute WMV, that is all it would do for some reason. The output on that first minute ran great on the Zune and had no choppy playback. The encoder settings the DVDCloneMobile uses must be corrupt. Hope this will be addressed when they can get to it. Also, the re-encoded WMV sync'ed like lightning.

Last edited:
Sorry my monitor quit on me today so I will do this tomorrow.

Been a bit buisier than usual so again sorry will try tomorrow as I have nowhere to go then.

She's getting charged right now so after it is charged up I'll report back if I find the same or not.

Well I finally went through and charged the zune etc.... and watched the first 30 minutes and the wife watched the other 30 minutes of a 43 minute video made with CDVDM and all was in sync on my end. I wonder if it has to do with what you are running on the processes in the background interferring with the outcome?

Clonemobile uses wmv2 or WM8 for its encodes, the zune can play files encoded with WMV8 or 9 if they meet certain limits. For WMV8 the video bitrate cannot exceed 720 kbps and the total combined bitrate cannot exceed 800kbps.

WMV8 is ok and it's certainly fast but WMV9 produces a better quality encode. With the New Zune being able to play MP4 and H264 files you'll be able to play files created with the Zune Profile finally as they will just be MP4 files. H264 will be another story. Even the Ipod Profile does not offer H264 as an option, how about updating those Slysoft?

My Zune is the first gen. and it can handle MP4's not sure about H264 I will have to see as I can do that with another program. Originally there was a sync issue with a user and I just tested to see if it truly is the same if I did it so that they could know there needs to be a fix. But all went great on my end.

My Zune is the first gen. and it can handle MP4's not sure about H264 I will have to see as I can do that with another program. Originally there was a sync issue with a user and I just tested to see if it truly is the same if I did it so that they could know there needs to be a fix. But all went great on my end.

No it does not natively play MP4's they must be transcoded by the Zune Software into WMV's that is the only type file it will play. The 2nd Zen Zune will Play MP4's and H264 natively without transcoding, and also WMV's

Well if I look at the file type on my zune on a MP4 guess what it still says it is a MP4 file format.

zune hack to play mpeg4 on zune?

hello,

well... i have been to alot of the hack sites around and forums as well and found nothing to what i need :( . does anyone here know of a hack to the 30gb zune that will allow it to sync and play the mpeg4 videos ? i hate that it has to transcode to wmv which is a kinda shitty codec. i get alot of pixilation and colors are off at times. is thier a way to remove this restriciton on the device some how ??

thanks for the help!!

Back