• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Why Slysoft has to conquer BD+

roog

Not many people know this, but the real reason that Beta died is because it didn't have Macrovision. Because of this, movies could be easily copied so the movie studios stopped releasing titles on Beta.

If SlySoft or someone else doesn't figure out how to defeat BD+ then HD DVD is probably going to die for the same reason. I hope that this doesn't happen because next they'll stop releasing DVD movies.

For now, don't just boycott BD+, boycott all Sony products and tell everyone you know to do so as well. If you absolutely have to see a movie that's only on BD+, rent it don't buy it.

Not many people know this, but the real reason that Beta died is because it didn't have Macrovision. Because of this, movies could be easily copied so the movie studios stopped releasing titles on Beta.

If SlySoft or someone else doesn't figure out how to defeat BD+ then HD DVD is probably going to die for the same reason. I hope that this doesn't happen because next they'll stop releasing DVD movies.

For now, don't just boycott BD+, boycott all Sony products and tell everyone you know to do so as well. If you absolutely have to see a movie that's only on BD+, rent it don't buy it.
Slysoft will have BD+ beat within 2 weeks.

Maybe for newer HD-DVDs. Not for BD+

I'm far too lazy to search for James' post that DetroitBaseball is referring to. Yeah, I'm a lazy git.

I believe the 2 week statement had to do with MKB v4. BD+ will take longer, of course.

At least they have a time frame which means they might be on the right track. I wonder how big the bonus would be for the person who cracks it :p

They're not going to stop releasing movies on DVD for quite a while yet. Even as recently as 2 or so years ago, a lot of people were still using VHS. The way things are going with HD, it'll take longer than DVD did to achieve a similar market saturation. Partially because you can't just buy the player and get such an improved picture on your existing TV, the way you could with DVD. Not only do you need to invest (at the very least) several hundred dollars in a player, but at least $1000 (though quite more, really, if you want anything with decent quality) in an HDTV. Personally, I've yet to see a flat-panel TV under $3500-$4000 CDN that has a picture I could live with full-time. That granular quality and digital artifact is too noticeable for me on the less-expensive models. The only HDTV I have at the moment is a CRT, as it not only lacks those irritating "defects" in the picture, but can display my DVDs in ED resolutions instead of trying to upscale them and make them look like crap.

Most people just aren't willling yet to invest the kind of money you need to pay for a setup that takes full advantage of HD. That's enough reason to continue manufacturing regular DVDs for some time to come.

That said, I'm sure the actual quality of DVD releases (in terms of bonus features, etc.) will decrease over time as they decide to invest more in the HD formats, and try to entice people to switch earlier than they otherwise might.

Not many people know this, but the real reason that Beta died is because it didn't have Macrovision.
Um, no it wasn't. Macrovision wasn't implimented on VHS until 1985. The real reason Beta died is - and always has been - because it was an inferior format, and VHS offered the consumer more. Now you have the situation where HD-DVD offers the consumer more, so I predict in the long-term Bluray will die out like Beta.

Um, no it wasn't. Macrovision wasn't implimented on VHS until 1985. The real reason Beta died is - and always has been - because it was an inferior format, and VHS offered the consumer more. Now you have the situation where HD-DVD offers the consumer more, so I predict in the long-term Bluray will die out like Beta.

I am being unbiased as I don't own either format nor hardware. But this statement can be processed different ways too as the BD format offers more space so in a sense it offers the consumer more.

Blu-Ray also offers the consumer more in terms of computer storage use as well, which is a much larger factor these days than it was in the early days of DVD. And obviously nothing like this ever came into play in the VHS/Beta format war; the only things those would ever have been used for was home video releases and recording... whereas the winner of the current war has more uses than that. There still seems to be a lot of scrambling to try and get HD-DVD burners and stuff going, while Blu-Ray has had burners and media for quite some time now.

Despite the added nuisances in the home video realm and the fact Sony has a hand in it, I prefer Blu-Ray if only for the fact it's a technically superior format and definately better to use in a computer.

BvsV

The reason VHS won the format war was the contracts they got with the major studios. Sony thought the major use of tape would be time shifting whereas Matushita thought the market would be pre-recorded film driven and M was proven correct. Technically Beta always had the superior picture quality and was the first to use encoding for Hi-Fi sound. VHS had to electronically do some things that Sony had patented and were actually implemented physically by Sony (head phase inversion for prevention of interference between tracks.)

I am being unbiased as I don't own either format nor hardware. But this statement can be processed different ways too as the BD format offers more space so in a sense it offers the consumer more.

I do not recall where I originally read this but the concept of Blu-Ray and its use originated in Japan awhile ago as a DVR type deal for HD content. Back when they came up with it the larger disc size was needed due to the way they compressed audio and video. So, in essence, the fact they offer more space on a disc means jack**** since it was originally created for a different reason. Now that we have better compression methods for both audio and video the mere statement that Blu-Ray offers more space on a disc means nothing. Blu-Ray having larger disc sizes does not equate to a better format with or without the stupid amount of extra protections placed upon it: Regions and BD+. HD-DVD came later but that doesn't mean it takes second place... it means that a format with a smaller disc size can actually be better technology-wise and w/o all the restrictive bull****.

Maybe for newer HD-DVDs. Not for BD+

Yes. For both formats, aacs mkbv4 should be cracked first. Then just for blu-ray, bd+ should be cracked. but james will only crack one disc -maybe F4?- because bd+ protection is different per disc. so maybe get used to this :doh: :doh: :doh:

I do not recall where I originally read this but the concept of Blu-Ray and its use originated in Japan awhile ago as a DVR type deal for HD content. Back when they came up with it the larger disc size was needed due to the way they compressed audio and video. So, in essence, the fact they offer more space on a disc means jack**** since it was originally created for a different reason. Now that we have better compression methods for both audio and video the mere statement that Blu-Ray offers more space on a disc means nothing.

blu-ray format on disc is very different from old blu-ray tv recorder. The only same thing is that they use MPEG-TS instead of PS like *DVD.

Blu-Ray having larger disc sizes does not equate to a better format with or without the stupid amount of extra protections placed upon it: Regions and BD+. HD-DVD came later but that doesn't mean it takes second place... it means that a format with a smaller disc size can actually be better technology-wise and w/o all the restrictive bull****.

I do not like regions either. But now is most complicated time since all mfgrs got their wish at first. Microsoft / Intel made HDCP / DTCP in AACS. The two HDDVD and blu-ray have that. Now a good excuse for slysoft. :) Just like dvd, mfgrs stop complicated features if cost is high. AACS sequence keys will never be used? :agree:

Yes. For both formats, aacs mkbv4 should be cracked first. Then just for blu-ray, bd+ should be cracked. but james will only crack one disc -maybe F4?- because bd+ protection is different per disc. so maybe get used to this :doh: :doh: :doh:

I believe "cracking" is the wrong approach. Our own BD+ VM must be implemented in the AnyDVD kernel mode driver. It will take a while, is a huge amount of reverse engineering, development and testing work, and all this just to show Fox the finger.
I suggested to my boss that we charge 30$ upgrade price for AnyDVD BD+. ;)

i've never heard anyone say tha betamax was inferior to vhs, why do you think that?

i always though beta died as the pr0n companies only released on vhs as sony/disney etc wouldn't let them use beta.

Because you have to pay the additional development costs and you have to make profit to stay in business. IMHO, charging more makes sense.

I believe "cracking" is the wrong approach. Our own BD+ VM must be implemented in the AnyDVD kernel mode driver. It will take a while, is a huge amount of reverse engineering, development and testing work, and all this just to show Fox the finger.

I would be more than happy to pay the extra cost-you guys deserve every penny.

Back