• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

PowerDVD 22 Ultra released

whatever_gong82

Cyberlink has just released PowerDVD 22 Ultra, and here is a link with a list of their new features:

The Best Blu-ray and 8K Media Player for Windows | PowerDVD - CyberLink

NEW Easily Extract Discs

Digitize your media collection such as the non-protected Blu-rays or DVDs with selected chapters.

NEW Trim & Convert to Video/Audio Files

Share your favorite memories by trimming and converting clips to MP3 or MP4 files for maximum shareability.

NEW Upscale Video Playback

Play HDR videos with SDR monitors on any graphics and legacy platforms.

NEW Studio-Quality Keep Pitch Algorithm

Enhance your audio quality even when you play your videos at slow speeds.

If anyone wants to purchase it, I would see about getting it on a discount from the $99 US Suggested retail price for PowerDVD 22 Ultra.

I have no intention of buying it, that's for sure. I don't even have 21 installed on any of my machines at this point. When I rebuilt my HTPC I didn't put an optical drive in it as you know, what's the point. I rip everything on my laptop with either my bu40n or my pio drive and stick it on the NAS. It's "great" that pdvd can now "extract discs" whatever the hell that means but no thanks. :)

Hasn't Cinavia died yet? :D

Tell you what, Cyberlink....you ever bother to add Dolby Vision support (LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL LMAO) then I'll pony up for a new version. How's that sound? :D ROFLMAO

Tell you what, Cyberlink....you ever bother to add Dolby Vision support (LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL LMAO) then I'll pony up for a new version. How's that sound? :D ROFLMAO
I'll say this for the software from Cyberlink: It's relatively stable, and works, once you work out the quirks and kinks from PowerDVD Ultra.

I'm using PowerDVD 19 Ultra on another Windows 10 Pro laptop, and it works without a hitch. I put it on the laptop because I had just got it from a business that was giving them away (after erasing and reformatting the machine, of course) and I didn't want to spend $$ on yet another version of PowerDVD.

Plus, since I had already paid for the product in full, I picked 19 for it, since I already had 21 and 20 on my other laptop.

But, @SamuriHL, I'm with you in one respect: Just releasing the product each year without any major updates is a waste of time and money, even though I admit I'm a PowerDVD Ultra addict, and tend to buy it when my $$ and budget can afford it each year, which I've done from 12 through 21, with the exception of buying Cyberlink Media Suite 9 Ultra off Amazon years ago so that I could own PowerDVD 10 Ultra, with it being Cinavia Free.

Cyberlink reminds me of the Auto Industry: Making a new model that is just a slightly updated version of the previous year's model and calling it an upgrade.

There hasn't been a reason to upgrade in many years. I grabbed 21 because it had the ability to play discs with the protection removed without the stupidity of SGX requirements. But I've never ACTUALLY used it to watch a movie. Third party software has far surpassed whatever Cyberlink claims to provide at this point. In all my UHD's I've tried, I've yet to find one that doesn't work with full menus with JRiver MC. Yet I keep reading people saying things "well if you want the FULL UHD experience with no compromises you NEED an official player." Oh yea? While I'm sure there's a disc here and there that might not work with menus on JRiver or other libbluray supporting players, they are the exception not the rule. Yet to read all the "OMGZ PONIES you MUST have an official player" nonsense out there you'd think menus NEVER work in anything BUT an official player EVER. lol Being able to extract a disc is their "new feature for the year". Um, JRiver has been able to do that for many, MANY years now, as well. I'm not going to continue wasting money on the overpriced under-featured Cyberlink software at this point. And without SGX support, they aren't even an official player anymore ANYWAY. So what, exactly, is the advantage now?

There hasn't been a reason to upgrade in many years. I grabbed 21 because it had the ability to play discs with the protection removed without the stupidity of SGX requirements. But I've never ACTUALLY used it to watch a movie. Third party software has far surpassed whatever Cyberlink claims to provide at this point. In all my UHD's I've tried, I've yet to find one that doesn't work with full menus with JRiver MC. Yet I keep reading people saying things "well if you want the FULL UHD experience with no compromises you NEED an official player." Oh yea? While I'm sure there's a disc here and there that might not work with menus on JRiver or other libbluray supporting players, they are the exception not the rule. Yet to read all the "OMGZ PONIES you MUST have an official player" nonsense out there you'd think menus NEVER work in anything BUT an official player EVER. lol Being able to extract a disc is their "new feature for the year". Um, JRiver has been able to do that for many, MANY years now, as well. I'm not going to continue wasting money on the overpriced under-featured Cyberlink software at this point. And without SGX support, they aren't even an official player anymore ANYWAY. So what, exactly, is the advantage now?
Being Cinavia infected???

:D:ROFLMAO:

There was some hype about PowerDVD no longer supporting SGX.
Agree with your forensic analysis of PowerDVD, just a minor correction to "And without SGX support"
I'm running PowerDVD 21 Ultra and can play 4K UHD blu-ray media without AnyDVDHD on an SGX enabled Coffee Lake platform (On Windows 11).
The same functionality is also supported in PowerDVD 22 Ultra, no change to SGX for Intel Processors that support SGX with SGX enabled on the motherboard. (But I've no intention of buying it !!).

Last edited:
Right I wasn't saying they removed sgx support in powerdvd. However, Intel has abandoned the platform thus making it restricted to older cpu generations. They are also not supporting it anymore for future driver support so if a windows update breaks it at some point you're out of luck. It's not something I'd personally rely on to always continue working properly.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Right I wasn't saying they removed sgx support in powerdvd. However, Intel has abandoned the platform thus making it restricted to older cpu generations. They are also not supporting it anymore for future driver support so if a windows update breaks it at some point you're out of luck. It's not something I'd personally rely on to always continue working properly.

Not sure what you mean by windows update breaking it.
That would mean Microsoft selectively withdrawing driver support for a group of Windows 11 supported processors.
(Coffee Lake is a Windows 11 supported processor).

You do know it's not just a cpu implementation... right? It requires a driver installation which hasn't been updated by Intel since 2019. When you first run powerdvd and try to play something that requires sgx, if the driver isn't installed, powerdvd tries to install it. At the best of times that was a perilous process that almost never worked for me on supported hardware without a lot of effort. So what I mean is exactly what I said... there is no guarantee that a windows update changes something that breaks the sgx driver that would ordinarily require an update by Intel. Which will now never happen since they no longer support the platform.

You do know it's not just a cpu implementation... right? It requires a driver installation which hasn't been updated by Intel since 2019. When you first run powerdvd and try to play something that requires sgx, if the driver isn't installed, powerdvd tries to install it. At the best of times that was a perilous process that almost never worked for me on supported hardware without a lot of effort. So what I mean is exactly what I said... there is no guarantee that a windows update changes something that breaks the sgx driver that would ordinarily require an update by Intel. Which will now never happen since they no longer support the platform.

I first installed the SGX driver in 2017 on a Kaby Lake platform, after downloading it from the Intel Developers group, before installing PowerDVD 17 Ultra and first attempting to get 4K UHD Blu-Ray media playback working. (It worked OK). I didn’t have any SGX driver installation issues. I even updated it manually a couple of times after that.

In the early days, PowerDVD may well have attempted to install the driver if it wasn’t installed, but in Windows 11 (and with the latest Windows 10 updates) the driver is automatically installed once SGX is enabled in the BIOS. PowerDVD contacts Cyberlink’s server on first playback of UHD media, probably hardware registration.

There is an issue with Cyberlink’s UHD Blu-Ray advisor, and the SGX supported check, which returns SGX is unavailable, even on a platform with SGX enabled. I traced this issue and found that the advisor attempts to install an SGX driver which fails, I notified Cyberlink about the issue, which they are aware of. It’s unlikely to be fixed, but has probably confused a lot of users.

The driver is being installed by windows update. It's still a driver whether you install it manually or whether it's installed by windows. And it's a driver that will not get any further updates. If it continues to work, great that's wonderful. My point is that it's not guaranteed and if it breaks, there won't be an updated driver to fix it. In case you think that's an impossible scenario consider the driver that's installed is certainly not version 1.0.0.0 and windows updates break drivers all the time. It's not their intention to do so but windows is not a static environment. But hey, you can always get lucky and the driver will continue to work until the hardware fails and has to be replaced. It's possible.

Back