• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

APV not showing full HD

Lonald

Just noticed this morning. A number of titles are showing odd resolutions. For example 1920x800 is often the highest resolution available, when 1920x1080 used to be the maximum on the same video.

Attachments

• AnyStream_1.3.5.0.astlog
    1 MB · Views: 1
Just noticed this morning. A number of titles are showing odd resolutions. For example 1920x800 is often the highest resolution available, when 1920x1080 used to be the maximum on the same video.
We are aware of this and are working on it, sometimes full 1080p is not possible for many reasons, which I will not mention or go into in this post. I can say we are working to do the best possible job at this time.
The best explanation is the 1920X800 is HD. Unfortunately the confusion doesn’t stop there. For both methods of describing resolution, a 16:9 aspect ratio is assumed. But this is not always the case. For example, a resolution of 1920 x 800 is described as 1080p because it has the same 1920 pixel width as 1080p, even though the height is NOT 1080.

These are only the black bars. The crop them and therefore you don't get 1080 on this one site. Same applys for some 4:3 titles. Instead of 1920x1080 you get 1440x1080, because they cropped the black bars on the other site.
In other words: this is no issue, this is a common thing you will see many more times in the future.

I think something is clearly up with AP. Just the usual cat and mouse game I am sure.

1920 x anything is 1080. It’s just the aspect ratio. Same as 1280 x anything. That’s 720. Nothing wrong here and nothing needs looking into.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1920X800 is still HD and that's the best you will get, nothing strange here.

1920X800 is still HD and that's the best you will get, nothing strange here.

No I believe it appears that things that were x1080 are now showing x800 maybe? Yes that's very anecdotal but just about everything I click on is x800 where normally that is not the case. Just an observation.

No I believe it appears that things that were x1080 are now showing x800 maybe? Yes that's very anecdotal but just about everything I click on is x800 where normally that is not the case. Just an observation.

Nope...just more movies are being released in their original format. If you check the pixel ratio, you'll see it is correct at 1x1
Check HBOMAX....they are all different sizes, but all standard. You aren't wrong though....most movies were cropped to 1920 x 1080 to standardize them, but with 4K and 8K TV's now...I don't think they are as concerned.

If it eases your mind any...I just ripped episodes from the War of the Worlds series Blu-Rays....they were 1920 x 788....it's not streaming...it's filming.

Simplest way I've seen it put....Movie theater screens have an aspect ratio of 21:9. Most TVs have a 16:9 aspect ratio which means you are losing parts of the left and right of the image. So if you want to see the entire movie on your TV at home, as you would see it in the theater, you would want to view the 1920x800.

Maybe so, just looks like a much higher number are now x800 whereas that seemed rare when I was poking around before. All anecdotal though so can't prove it.

They just removed the black bars on some things. The black bars are not needed in most cases. And from my understanding, not having them is better.

What i noticed was a change in a TV series that is current, from 1920x1080 to 1920x800.

Or so i thought. I will check prior episodes regarding aspect later this evening.

It is reassuring that there are mo other similar reports!

Thanks all!

They just removed the black bars on some things. The black bars are not needed in most cases. And from my understanding, not having them is better.

They're not "needed" per sé no, but if the resulting video aspect ratio isn't the same as the output device (TV, projector...) it'll automatically add them back in on its own to "fill" the entire video output display.

Maybe so, just looks like a much higher number are now x800 whereas that seemed rare when I was poking around before. All anecdotal though so can't prove it.

Just seems to be the latest trend....If new Blu-Ray releases weren't the same...I'd be wondering also.
With that said...I have seen reports of people cropping the bars and stating there wasn't much noticeable difference...but I haven't tried it and it would throw the pixel ratio off...

I might do one now to see. Start Trek Strange New Worlds is 1920 x 804 (On the Paramount Site) ....I'll let you know.

Very noticeable difference as I figured. So...if you wanted a true 1920 x 1080, you'd need to crop 147px from one side and 148px from the other.
The result wasn't bad at all though....
XuOHmPw.png

And from my understanding, not having them is better.
For streaming providers yes, as they useless take bandwith.
And some disk space maybe. Not much but if you have to host hundreds of movies and entire seasons with the need to stream them to thousands of people then you will notice the difference.

Reactions: DQ
On a related note...
I author all my AnyStream downloads to Blu-ray. The Blu-ay format requires 1080p video to be in 1920x1080. As such, I have to encode the given video adding black bars to each frame in cases where the apsect ratio is north or south of 1920x1080 and doesn't include black bars. So for a film with a 2.40:1 (1920x800) aspect ratio I'm adding black bars to each video frame above and below which are 140 pixels in height, i.e. 140+800+140=1080.

Last edited:
Just to agree - there is nothing "wrong" here.

If a certain item of content (usu. movies) is "wider" than 16x9 then in order for it to fit a 16x9 display, one of three things needs to occur:
1: It may be stretched vertically to fit. This is never done as it distorts the image, making people and objects disproportionately tall (or thin).
2: It may be enlarged equally vertical and horizontal. Horiziontal enlargement requires the loss of some of the extreme side content.
3: It is displayed with black bars above and below. This is the only "correct" way to show the entire film undistorted and it is these titles that concern us here.

So - how do we display those black bars?

On a regular full HD Blu-Ray BD-Video disc, the image content MUST have a pixel matrix that is 1920W x 1080H. For "wider" content, black bars are added to the encoding process to bring the height up to 1080; they are included in the images on the disc.

For streaming content, this isn't necessary. The (full HD) images in the stream can be 1920W x any height up to 1080. Typically the player software will display the content centrally with nothing (so, black) above and below. Streaming providers may provide content in this way since there is no need, in that context, to do otherwise, and the fact there is no (unnecessary) data associated with black bars saves traffic. Note that this does not compromise the definition of the content; the material part is only ever that central section. The rest is just plain black, and the player will add that as necessary.

It only becomes an issue if one wishes to put such content onto a conforming BD-Video disc. Then, the file will need to be re-encoded, maintaining the 1920 width but adding enough black lines abiove and below to bring the overall shape up to 1080 high.

Last edited:
Back