• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Workaround for Running With Scissors/Grudge 2

Wahoo

As posted elsewhere, DVD Shrink does not work with whatever this new Sony protection has done, but I found a way to make it work.

I ripped the whole DVD to the hard drive, using AnyDVD. Scissors finished the process, but Grudge2 did not, it hung on the last file, Video_TS.VOB, 144k. Since Scissors did complete, I tried to open the files with AnyDVD, and got a Video_TS.VOB not found error. Looking in the folder, sure enough it wasn't there, though I had gotten no errors during the rip.

So I just stuck in the DVD and copied the VideoTS_VOB file directly to the folder with the rest of the files on my hard drive. After that, DVD Shrink worked fine, and the result plays fine.

With Grudge2, AnyDVD hung on that file, so I just canceled and copied that file directly as I had done with Scissors. It worked fine and plays fine. Hope this helps others until the fix comes along (as it always does, AnyDVD and its support is topnotch)

Ya... the faster the Dev's get this stuff - the faster it'll get resolved.

-W

step by step for grudge would help, its hard to understand the 1st post. You only used CloneDVD2...and it worked, Im lost

Last edited:
step by step for grudge would help, its hard to understand the 1st post. You only used CloneDVD2...and it worked, Im lost

The OP is using Shrink.

Anydvd/Clonedvd2 combination works for Grudge 2.

Will send IFO files

Webslinger, I will forward the .ifo files for both shortly.

As for the step by step question, right click the AnyDVD systray icon and choose 'rip video dvd to harddisk'. When it's done (if it hangs on the last file, just cancel).

Leave the original DVD in, go (in My Computer/Windows Explorer) and find the video_ts.vob file. Right click, choose 'copy', and then navigate to the folder where AnyDVD ripped the files. Right click on the video_ts folder and choose 'paste'. AnyDVD should be able to open the files now to compress them or prepare for burning, at least it did in both cases for me.

AnyDVD & CloneDVD 2

I have yet to see ANY Movie that AnyDVD & CloneDVD 2 won't work on. You may have to do "Main Movie Only", but this Combo Rocks! Always Has!:agree:

I have yet to see ANY Movie that AnyDVD & CloneDVD 2 won't work on.

The way to test to ensure the combination is working properly is to do full disc backups with full menus. The main movie is not an issue. Some of the new protections like to throw junk in the menus and elsewhere.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure this particular issue is specific to Anydvd with Shrink.

but this Combo Rocks

Yes, very good programs

Last edited:
Webslinger,
"Running w/ Scissors" Can be done w/ AnyDVD and CloneDVD as reported on another forum. If you want it to work w/ Shrink you will probably need to insert VobBlanker, after the rip and before Shrink, and process all of the items and then use Shrink on the processed items. It takes all of 5 minutes to do that but we will know on Tuesday as that is when the movies come out in Region 1.

Webslinger,
"Running w/ Scissors" Can be done w/ AnyDVD and CloneDVD as reported on another forum.

Yep :agree:

If you want it to work w/ Shrink you will probably need to insert VobBlanker, after the rip and before Shrink, and process all of the items and then use Shrink on the processed items. It takes all of 5 minutes to do that but we will know on Tuesday as that is when the movies come out in Region 1.

Ok, thanks.

I couldnt get cloneDVD to burn Open Season by itself, but i dont have CloneDVD2 installed yet; I did however burn it by using the AnyDVD rip to harddisc option, then i could read those files in cloneDVD, it just takes longer so I hope a 100% fix can be found. Saw 3 did the same, but gave me an error 10% in so i had to abort, but that totally could have been the disc, i cleaned and buffed it and still error,but it worked 10% so i bet a better disc would have gone all the way.

Like many other users, I, too, was experiencing an error using DVDShrink & AnyDVD in backing up "Running With Scissors."

So I took Wahoo's step by step advice and ripped the video dvd to my hard disk. Then I "copied and pasted" the video_ts.vob file per his instructions.

I next tried to go ahead and use DVDShrink on the ripped files. DVDShrink started out fine and everything seemed great until at the 97% completion point of the encoding phase, the following error occurred:

"DVDShrink encountered an error and cannot continue. Out of memory. Not enough storage is available to process this command."

Since I have 4 GB of RAM and 250 GB of hard disk storage available, I was unclear as to why I was getting this remark.

So I then attempted to use VobBlanker before starting DVDShrink (as per another poster's suggestion). However, when starting VobBlanker the following error occurred:

"Error: max vts limit(99) has been reached."

Can Wahoo or anyone else suggest how to work around this problem?

Thank you for anybody's help.

Can Wahoo or anyone else suggest how to work around this problem?

You should be able to use Anydvd ripper (right-click fox; choose "rip video-dvd to hard disk"). I would probably select "remove unreferenced and blank cells." You should then be able to import the main movie only into Shrink. Or, at least, this is the theory.

Currently, there is no way to produce a full disc backup using Shrink and Anydvd exclusively.

You can, of course, rip with Clonedvd2 and import the rip into Shrink.

Last edited:
Amadeus74,
Use FixVTS as it is not stopped by the 99 limit that is in VobBlanker or do as Webslinger suggested and use the ripper function in AnyDVD. Once I saw the 380+ files in the DVD I automatically knew VobBlankewr would not do it and I used FixVTS and then used DVD-RB to do the disk

i use RIPIT4ME ,FixVTS ,DVD Decrypter & shrink. simple as pie. download ripit4me and fixVTS i placed them on my desktop. get DVDdecrypter and shrink. once you have them downloaded to your pc open ripitforme click on the button that says 1 click mode and off you go. it will run the whole movie through these programs in the order it needs to and will finish by opening shrink going through the movie and then it will be ready to backup with shrink. once you get ripit4me started it dose's the rest by its self. you can just sit back and watch..

i use RIPIT4ME ,FixVTS ,DVD Decrypter & shrink. simple as pie. download ripit4me and fixVTS i placed them on my desktop. get DVDdecrypter and shrink. once you have them downloaded to your pc open ripitforme click on the button that says 1 click mode and off you go. it will run the whole movie through these programs in the order it needs to and will finish by opening shrink going through the movie and then it will be ready to backup with shrink. once you get ripit4me started it dose's the rest by its self. you can just sit back and watch..
That's a good free alternative.

Sorry it's taken a while to report back.

Well, first of all, I'd like to offer my sincere thanks to everybody who provided a suggestion. I really appreciate it. Forums like this are really great for non-technical users like myself.

Webslinger, I tried to execute your suggestions, but unfortunately was not successful. I kept receiving an error message during the "analyzing" phase of DVDShrink. And as for your other suggestion (rip it with CloneDVD2), I do not own a copy of that software, so that suggestion was not an option for me.

Carolina Mike, I downloaded FixVTS and the free version of DVD-RB, but I'm afraid after reading the instructions in the Readme file of DVD-RB, the whole process was a bit intimidating and was unable to successfully use the two programs.

And finally, BullGear, your promise of "simple as pie" sure sounded promising, so I downloaded and placed on my desktop a copy of RipIt4Me and DVDDecrypter (I already had FixVTS and DVDShrink).

Well, I am happy to report that once I temporarily deactivated AnyDVD, your procedure worked perfectly. As you said in your post, after hitting the "1-Click" option, RipIt4Me seemed to automatically launch DVDDecrypter, then launch FixVTS, and then finally DVDShrink. I ended up with a successful backup copy to my original.

Thank you BullGear for your "work-around" suggestion. And again, my sincere thanks to Wahoo, Webslinger, Carolina Mike, and DetroitBaseball for your suggestions and support. As I said earlier, this is truly a great site.

Thanks that was easy :bowdown: :bowdown:

Back