• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

1.2.9.1 proposal - a better compromise

Dear brother in arms, I have been building networks of all types and supporting them for also 25+ years. I feel your pain and understand you. :)

K eep
I t
S imple
S tupid

There is also, RTFM :p

I've worked in IT for 25+ years too and we often use the "POA" database too --- especially when it comes to budgetary items :p:cool:

I too view 1.2.9 as worse than 1.2.8. I've had about a 75% success rate for HD with 1.2.8. I'd rather continue to download accessible content at my desired resolution than downgrade everything. I would actually be a happy customer if the queue worked as intended and the items that failed failed. The queue stopping on a drm failure and the bug where extra items fail are what is bothering me.

If a real fix isn't around the corner, I suggest the following compromise for 1.2.9.1, which I would install:
* fix the queuing bug in 1.2.9 that often causes the item after a failed item to erroneously be reported as a failure (without producing an astlog)
* add a resolution downgrade on fail option
* in the client, send the wrapped keys for both the selected resolution and the 1.2.9 resolution to any stream's server (or whatever message is currently sent to spend a token and get a key)
* in the server, if the selected resolution fails to decrypt, return the key for the lower resolution. Either way a single token is used and the download can succeed.
* please provide a file nameing variable that can be used to label downgraded files. for example %downgrade is either "" if the original resolution worked or "downgrade" if it didn't.

Above all, please don't force the upgrade to 1.2.9, for some of us it is worse than 1.2.8.

Argo nailed it. The software coerces you to 1.2.9 and 1.2.8 was clearly better with the ability to download "some" HD content.

"Your AnyStream version 1.2.8.0 is too old. Please upgrade. Version 1.2.9.0 is available."

No HD content makes it unusable for myself. I concur with fixing the queuing issue from 1.2.8 and the loss of quota for failed downloads. With those two fixes I could remain on 1.2.8.X until 1.3 is ready. 1.2.9.0 prevents me from downloading the HD content that was available in 1.2.8.0 and that is a major step backwards in this new "forced" version.

Last edited:
It is really sad what is happening to AS but I will wait for a better version. Until then I'll be downloading older series with the previous version.

There's no point in using an older version. Eventually you will encounter DRM decryption failures.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

that is a major step backwards in this new "forced" version.
If they are indeed forcing an upgrade to 1.2.9 then that is indeed a major step in the wrong direction. I was under the impression this was voluntary

There's no point in using an older version. Eventually you will encounter DRM decryption failures.

Except there is…. QUALITY
Yes, there will be DRM failures, but higher quality is always better!!! ALWAYS

Try watching sdtv on a 75” 4k tv . It’s crap. Hell , even 720p is bad

The reason the proposal is much more customer-friendly than that workaround is it fixes the behavior of the queue and avoids spending 3 download tokens every time you do an SD downgrade (one for the real failure, one for the queue failure duplication, and one for the SD download).

1) It's only a "downgrade" if you already downloaded a copy and then download another copy at a lower resolution. If you never had it to begin with, it can't be a downgrade.

2) How about if they implemented some type of system that tokens are replenished after a period of time, maybe something like one token every 36 minute, whether the download fails or not? That sounds very reasonable to me. in other words, you have practically unlimited downloads available over the long run, and worse case scenario, you just have to wait a few minutes to get a token replenished.

Dear brother in arms, I have been building networks of all types and supporting them for also 25+ years. I feel your pain and understand you. :)

K eep
I t
S imple
S tupid

There is also, RTFM :p
Don't forget the most common... ProblemExistsBetweenKeyboardAndChair -- which I would say applies since so many users didn't read the release notes.

I'm not saying the following to insult anyone, just remembering sayings from business days.

Component failure between keyboard and chair.

My favorite is:

CFD - Can't fix dumb.

Like I said, not using these in the current issues, just having fun remembering the 'days' of frustration and funny.

Strongly disagree. I have successfully downloaded hundreds of pieces of content in 1080 with the older version since the problem started. Sure I have some failures but going through some of the prime channels that were 0.99/mo I am getting a lot of great content.

I take the opposite view: there is no point downloading content that isn't about to leave the service in a sub-par resolution.

Don't forget the most common... ProblemExistsBetweenKeyboardAndChair -- which I would say applies since so many users didn't read the release notes.

Most end users aren’t going to read the release notes . Even so, if this is now a forced upgrade, that point is moot . Wanna keep using software? You gotta upgrade to the garbage version

At work, we call that a Layer 8 issue ;)

There is also the general error of "ID-10T" ;)

That is not at all pointed to anyone here I am just pulling out funnies from the past.

If they are indeed forcing an upgrade to 1.2.9 then that is indeed a major step in the wrong direction. I was under the impression this was voluntary
I went back to version 1.2.8.0 and HD downloads appear to be working as before. I will stay on this version until the HD issues are resolved in the current release.

There are some titles I should be able to get on netflix in the mean time. Choices. I want to live dangerously. Then again, maybe RedFox is stuck on DRM for the rest of the year. Again, this is a product hinging on success from a known exploit. The next exploit may not be easy or even come at all. Im happy with the freedom of choice currently.

There is also the general error of "ID-10T" ;)

That is not at all pointed to anyone here I am just pulling out funnies from the past.

Anyone remembers the BOFH (Bastard Operator From Hell) ? :whistle:

I think that getting 1080P HD most of the time is ALWAYS better than 540 all the time! IMHO

First, I appreciate what the DEVs are doing to resolve the DRM problems.:thankyou:

As some here have noted, video looks terrible in SD resolution on a large TV screen. As far as watching on a smaller computer screen, none of my computers are connected to computer monitors. Every one of my computers are connected to, at least, a 42" HD/ UHD TV.
Aren't we all here using AS because of the great video quality due to it's streaming capture ability? If it wasn't because of that, I submit that quite a few of us would be using other video capture applications for a variety of reasons.
As for myself, I'm going to stick to 1.8.x.x for now and get 1080P wherever I can.
Oh no.. got to go. Just got another unable to retrieve video error. :rolleyes:

I'm not gonna deny that higher resolution is better. The point however isn't resolution, its that sooner or later you will encounter DRM errors when you're trying to download. I'm grabbing titles in 576p atm (PAL DVD) and placing a txt file in the folder to mark i need to re-dl when higher supported. I'd rather be able to download at all without that annoying unpredictable drm warning popping up constantly.

I'm not gonna deny that higher resolution is better. The point however isn't resolution, its that sooner or later you will encounter DRM errors when you're trying to download. I'm grabbing titles in 576p atm (PAL DVD) and placing a txt file in the folder to mark i need to re-dl when higher supported. I'd rather be able to download at all without that annoying unpredictable drm warning popping up constantly.

I'd rather be given the choice. Would I like everything to work at SD resolution or would like I like to try and get HD if possible.

Back