• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

backing up audio books

mystelite

Does anyone here have any experience backing up audio books? I am using CloneCD and AnyDVD. I am selecting "copy disc" and have tried both "Copy on the Fly" and coping to hard drive and then writing the disc. I am also selecting "Audio CD". AnyDVD indicates everything reads correctly after it scans the disc but most of my backups seem to skip and stutter on the last track of the disc. When I play the original disc there is no problem with tracks. I am currently using TDK media. Is this an encryption problem? I wanted to backup my audiobooks for travel. They are so expensive that I feel better carrying a backup vs the original. Can anyone help?

I am currently using TDK media.

That's your problem.

1. Update your burner's firmware (if available)
http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=12794&postcount=10

2. Use good quality media

Maxell Pro CD-Rs (these are Taiyo Yudens with a protective coating)
Verbatim DatalifePlus CD-Rs
Taiyo Yuden

3. Try lowering your burn speed slightly

4. Avoid sticker labels (they tend to cause problems)

5. Download Nero cd-dvd speed. It's a free program. Select the tab labeled "scandisc". Insert the problematic backup disc, select the appropriate drive letter, and click "start". If Nero cd-dvd speed reports read errors, your backup is bad (which is the most likely case), your optical drive may be slowly dying, or your optical drive simply doesn't like the disc (or your choice of blank media)--even if the disc looks fine.

Bad burn quality is notorious around the end of poor quality blank media

Thanks I'll check some of this out. I am burning at 6x speed. Usually I burn at half the rated speed of the media I am using but I had lowered it slightly hoping it would help. As far as I know my burner firmware is up to date but I will re-check it. I don't have any labels on my discs at this time. I was playing and checking them before that step. I'll try the nero program and I also have vso inspector. Haven't had an opportunity to check discs in another player or to clean the lens of the ones I have but want to give that a try also.

Thanks I'll check some of this out. I am burning at 6x speed. Usually I burn at half the rated speed of the media I am using but I had lowered it slightly hoping it would help. As far as I know my burner firmware is up to date but I will re-check it. I don't have any labels on my discs at this time. I was playing and checking them before that step. I'll try the nero program and I also have vso inspector. Haven't had an opportunity to check discs in another player or to clean the lens of the ones I have but want to give that a try also.

Based on what you have written, I would simply switch blank media then. Regular Maxell is easy to find--and should be avoided. The Pros will not be as easy to find (and are very good).

Use

Maxell Pro CD-Rs (these are Taiyo Yudens with a protective coating)
Verbatim DatalifePlus CD-Rs
Taiyo Yuden

what media is Taiyo Yuden? Is it put out under a different brand name? I have seen it reccommended several times but it is not a media I find in stores. For instance I know that Imation manufactors Office Depot's brand of media (or so they tell me) and of course you can always find Verbatium, Memorex, Imation, Maxell etc. But I have never seen Taiyo Yuden anywhere.

what media is Taiyo Yuden? Is it put out under a different brand name? I have seen it reccommended several times but it is not a media I find in stores. For instance I know that Imation manufactors Office Depot's brand of media (or so they tell me) and of course you can always find Verbatium, Memorex, Imation, Maxell etc. But I have never seen Taiyo Yuden anywhere.

http://www.supermediastore.com/

Doesn't like Verbatim

New one for me at least...It seems that my burner doesn't like Verbatim media. Trying to back up some of my audio books (see earlier posting). My TDK media was skipping on the last 2-3 tracks. Per advice I bought Verbatim media. When I start CloneCd it won't go past "waiting for LITE-ON DVDRW SHM-165P6S MS0R' and then gives the error tone. No problems with other media. Any ideas? I have 200 blank discs and am gonna be really upset if I can't fix this problem.

New one for me at least...It seems that my burner doesn't like Verbatim media. Trying to back up some of my audio books (see earlier posting). My TDK media was skipping on the last 2-3 tracks. Per advice I bought Verbatim media. When I start CloneCd it won't go past "waiting for LITE-ON DVDRW SHM-165P6S MS0R' and then gives the error tone. No problems with other media. Any ideas? I have 200 blank discs and am gonna be really upset if I can't fix this problem.

What blank media are you using? Specify a) brand name b)type (-R, +R, -RW, +RW, RAM, DL, etc.) c)media code, d) capacity/size, e) batch codes/serial codes (often found printed on the inner plastic hub of the blank disc), and f)country (factory information would be great as well, if possible) where the media was made (look on the physical packaging; do not rely on programs to accurately give you this information).

If you don't know how to obtain media codes, you may find the following programs useful:

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com and http://www.dvdinfopro.com/

1) i. For XP with ide burners
Click this

Do what it says to do if you have XP and an ide burner/optical drive.

ii. For Vista with ide burners

Go into device manager, and check to ensure you're using standard Microsoft ide busmaster drivers.

Right click on your PCI IDE Bus Master controller, and remove it. Ensure that it also removes the driver for your DVD/CD rom. Reboot. Your system should find hardware. After your system is finished installing hardware, reboot again.

click http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=48880&postcount=20 to get a better idea of what I'm asking for if you're using Vista.

2. a) Download imgburn. It's a free program: http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
(it's also an excellent program imo)

b) Go to Tools > Filter Driver Load Order. Click "Clipboard". Then paste the information you pasted into your clipboard into your next post (ctrl-v).

OR

visit http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=21907&postcount=11 (thanks to Zebadee)
Use one of the programs mentioned, and list your Lowerfilters and Upperfilters in your next post.

Or for XP users only,
Click Start, Run
type regedit
Go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Current Control Set\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

We want what's listed in "LowerFilters" and "UpperFilters". List your Lowerfilters and Upperfilters in your next post.

Before you do this visit http://www.cdr-zone.com/forum/about4719.html, and read the first post please, so you can get a better understanding of what is going on.

Do not start randomly deleting filters, please.

3. Ensure you're using 5.3.0.5 beta: click http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=12227&postcount=1

Last edited:
Webslinger I'm kind of lost with all the info you gave me...I am using Verbatim CD-r...seems to be manufactured in India..I can't seem to locate codes you asked me for..I downloaded and ran DVD identifier and it told me "unsupported media found". Is that because I am having it scan a CD instead of a DVD?..Kind of nervous about proceding with your other suggestions in case I really screw something up. The version of CloneCD that I am running is 5.3.0.1 When I check for an update it tells me I am running the current version but you said something about running 5.3.0.5 beta How do I get that version?

Last edited:
Webslinger I'm kind of lost with all the info you gave me...I am using Verbatim CD-r...seems to be manufactured in India.

I specifically stated DatalifePlus. You didn't buy Datalifeplus, right (the plus is important)?

I can't seem to locate codes you asked me for..I downloaded and ran DVD identifier and it told me "unsupported media found".

Use Nero cd-dvd speed: click http://www.cdspeed2000.com/download.html#nerocdspeed

Install. Run. Select the proper drive. Click the "disc info" tab.

Kind of nervous about proceding with your other suggestions in case I really screw something up.

Posting your filters won't mess anything up (step 2).

oops..you did say Datalife Plus and that isn't what I have...will try your other suggestions and get back to you..

Nero CD-DVD Speed: Disc Info
Basic Information
Disc type: : CD-R
Manufacturer: : Moser Baer
MID : 97m17s06f
Write speeds: : 8 X - 16 X - 24 X - 32 X - 40 X - 48 X
Capacity: : 79:59.74
: 703 MB
Extended Information
Usage : General
Disc Status : Empty
Raw Data
ATIP
0000 - D0 00 A0 00 61 11 06 00 4F 3B 4A 00 00 00 80 00 - ....a...O;J.....
0010 - 00 80 00 00 00 80 80 00 - ........

oops..you did say Datalife Plus and that isn't what I have...will try your other suggestions and get back to you..

Try the other suggestions first . . .

Also you may want to ensure you have the latest firmware update for your burner: click http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=12794&postcount=10

This may be a firmware issue. It's also possible your burner is slowly dying.

But I tend not to like Verbatims that are made in India (in general).

Last edited:
Nero CD-DVD Speed: Disc Info
Basic Information
Disc type: : CD-R
Manufacturer: : Moser Baer
MID : 97m17s06f
Write speeds: : 8 X - 16 X - 24 X - 32 X - 40 X - 48 X
Capacity: : 79:59.74
: 703 MB
Extended Information
Usage : General
Disc Status : Empty
Raw Data
ATIP
0000 - D0 00 A0 00 61 11 06 00 4F 3B 4A 00 00 00 80 00 - ....a...O;J.....
0010 - 00 80 00 00 00 80 80 00 - ........

Yeah, I'm not a fan of Moser Baer made blank media (even if it's sold under Verbatim's name).

Last edited:
----------------------------------------------------
here is the filter info

Filter Driver Load Order http://www.bustrace.com
----------------------------------------------------

Upper Device Filter: redbook
Device Object: LITE-ON DVDRW SHM-165P6S
Lower Class Filter: PxHelp20
Lower Class Filter: ElbyCDFL
Lower Class Filter: ElbyDelay
Lower Class Filter: AnyDVD
Lower Device Filter: imapi

Driver Name: redbook.sys
File Location: c:\windows\system32\drivers
File Description: Redbook Audio Filter Driver
File Version: 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) [5.1.2600.2180]
Product Name: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Product Version: 5.1.2600.2180 [5.1.2600.2180]
Company Name: Microsoft Corporation

Driver Name: pxhelp20.sys
File Description: Px Engine Device Driver for Windows 2000/XP
File Version: 2.03.18a [2.3.18.0]
Product Name: PxHelp20
Product Version: [2.0.0.0]
Company Name: Sonic Solutions

Driver Name: elbycdfl.sys
File Description: ElbyCDIO Filter Driver
File Version: 5, 2, 1, 3 [5.2.1.3]
Product Name: CloneCD
Product Version: 5, 2, 1, 3 [5.2.1.3]
Company Name: SlySoft, Inc.

Driver Name: elbydelay.sys
File Description: Elby Delay Lower Filter Driver
File Version: 5, 1, 0, 1 [5.1.0.1]
Product Name: CDRTools
Product Version: 5, 1, 0, 1 [5.1.0.1]
Company Name: Elaborate Bytes AG

Driver Name: anydvd.sys
File Description: AnyDVD Filter Driver
File Version: 6.1.7.4 [6.1.7.4]
Product Name: AnyDVD
Product Version: 6.1.7.4 [6.1.7.4]
Company Name: SlySoft, Inc.

Driver Name: imapi.sys
File Description: IMAPI Kernel Driver
File Version: 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) [5.1.2600.2180]
Product Name: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Product Version: 5.1.2600.2180 [5.1.2600.2180]
Company Name: Microsoft Corporation

Ok, your filters look fine.

1. As I posted earlier, I'd check to ensure (if you're using an ide burner--and not a sata burner) you're using standard/Microsoft ide busmaster drivers.

2. Check for an updated firmware for your burner.

And other than that, there's either a compatibility issue between that blank media you're using and your burner--or there's a chance your burner is slowly dying.

I'm otherwise out of ideas, unfortunately. Unless the original disc is copyprotected in some manner . . . yeah, I'm out of ideas.

Last edited:
must be a compatability issue because I found some Memorex discs that I had and stuck one in just to see..Ran with no problems...I want to try the discs on a friends computer with a different burner just to see what happens. Thanks for all your help

must be a compatability issue because I found some Memorex discs that I had and stuck one in just to see..Ran with no problems...I want to try the discs on a friends computer with a different burner just to see what happens. Thanks for all your help

O.k., just, in general, if my burner only worked with inferior quality blank media (which Memorex tends to be) instead of Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim Datalife Plus (the Plus is important), then I would be extremely unhappy with my choice of burners as burn quality and longevity of the blank media I use are important to me.

Firmware updates can sometimes improve or offer increased compatibility with a larger variety of blank media, which is why I do suggest looking for a firmware update if one is available.

Last edited:
Back