• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Sony Blu-ray BWU-100A

AndreSocha

My Sony Blu-ray BWU-100A is set to region 4 (Australia)
I'm using Vista Media Centre
The player is Cyberlink's
I cannot play any DVDs (not BDs) with regions different that 4. I have tried various movies with regions 1 and 2 and they all fail with the following message from AnyDVD (before the player starts). I have removed all memory resident programs incliding Cyberlink Instant Burn.

"Failed to read DVD!
This could have several reasons:
1. – DVD media is dirty, you can try to clean it.
2. – DVD Media is damaged, you have to replace it.
3. – Your drive is region locked RPC2 drive, which doesn’t allow reading of scrambled sectors from a different region and you try to read a DVD from a different region. Known drives having this problem are RICOH/PHILIPS DVD Writers and Matshita/Panasonic DVD readers and writers. You can try to find a RPC1 patch firmware at http://www.rpc1.com
4. – Your drive is an RPC2 drive that has not yet been assigned a Region. Try to assign one, or try to find a RPC1 patched firmware at http://www.rpc1.com"

Can you help?

Kind regards
Andre Socha

Hi Adbear,
It's on the latest firmware 1.0e
I've included a screenshot of the status screen.
Kind regards
Andre

Attachments

• AnyDVD-Status.JPG
    AnyDVD-Status.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 10
My Sony Blu-ray BWU-100A is set to region 4 (Australia)
I'm using Vista Media Centre
The player is Cyberlink's
I cannot play any DVDs (not BDs) with regions different that 4. I have tried various movies with regions 1 and 2 and they all fail with the following message from AnyDVD (before the player starts). I have removed all memory resident programs incliding Cyberlink Instant Burn.

"Failed to read DVD!
This could have several reasons:
1. – DVD media is dirty, you can try to clean it.
2. – DVD Media is damaged, you have to replace it.
3. – Your drive is region locked RPC2 drive, which doesn’t allow reading of scrambled sectors from a different region and you try to read a DVD from a different region. Known drives having this problem are RICOH/PHILIPS DVD Writers and Matshita/Panasonic DVD readers and writers. You can try to find a RPC1 patch firmware at http://www.rpc1.com
4. – Your drive is an RPC2 drive that has not yet been assigned a Region. Try to assign one, or try to find a RPC1 patched firmware at http://www.rpc1.com"

Can you help?

Kind regards
Andre Socha
The Sony drive is made by Matsushita, so you are out of luck. Just buy a cheap DVD ROM for 15$ for DVD reading.

It's not that simple. I do have a DVD player that is region-free. I also have an HD set top box, a connected PC, etc. The idea was, I wanted to simplify all this with a Media Centre so my wife wouldn't struggle with the existing system anymore. I got Claritas high-end Media Centre that looks and behaves more like an appliance than a PC and it fits in the rack. It's easy to use, so everything was looking good. Unfortunately, there is no room in the design to put a second DVD drive.
Any hope that anyone will release a firmware that would fix this? Obviously, it's a big gamble to flash $1,000 drive but in my wife's eyes I failed anyways as she needs to fiddle with two DVD players.
Damn studios! I do not pirate anything, I own all my DVDs that I collected in different countries where my work took me. I paid for them, so the studios got their money and I cannot use them.
Andre

Unfortunately, there is no room in the design to put a second DVD drive.
Any hope that anyone will release a firmware that would fix this?
Simple question, simple answer: No. Or at least, very unlikely. How about an external drive? Like the XBOX360 HD DVD drive to complement your Media Centre? :)

Simple question, simple answer: No. Or at least, very unlikely. How about an external drive? Like the XBOX360 HD DVD drive to complement your Media Centre? :)

James, I see the plug for HD DVD-is this a bad sign regarding BD+?

James, I see the plug for HD DVD-is this a bad sign regarding BD+?
No, apart from the fact that BD+, Blu-ray, the concentration of power of Sony (content provider, protection provider, technology provider, CE manufacturer, disc replicator, ... all in one company) is scary as hell. There is a reason church and state are separated.

XBOX360 with HD DVD drive sounds interesting. It should be well integrated in Media Centre, or one may hope.
A bit more expensive than a a cheap DVD ROM but hey, she's worth it :)

XBOX360 with HD DVD drive sounds interesting. It should be well integrated in Media Centre, or one may hope.
A bit more expensive than a a cheap DVD ROM but hey, she's worth it :)
No XBOX360, the HD DVD add-on drive is sufficient for this purpose.

That would be great. The drive sells for just $179 US. Does it connect via an USB to the Media Centre and can work standalone, without the XBOX 360?
I couldn't find anything on its standalone connection, the website says "Just plug Xbox 360 HD DVD Player into Xbox 360".

That would be great. The drive sells for just $179 US. Does it connect via an USB to the Media Centre and can work standalone, without the XBOX 360?
Yes and yes.

hey andre, just connect the xbox hd-dvd drive via usb to your pc and off you go (with anydvdhd and powerdvd ultra).

I have ordered Xbox HD DVD drive. While waiting, as a test, I connected a standard USB DVD drive and it worked OK with the Media Centre where I could select either DVD or BD. So I was looking forward to get HD HDV.
The new drive came, I plugged it in, it configured itself successfully automatically downloading HD drivers from Microsoft update site and installing them successfully.
There must be another piece I’m missing as the new drive is seen by the OS but it cannot play anything either within the Media Centre or from the OS using Cyberlink’s PowerDVD player that came with my Vista Media Centre to play BD movies. While trying to play from the OS by clicking on the drive in My Computer, it crashes the player. Inserting the disk into the HD drive comes up with a window where the only selection available is to “Open Files”. By trying it over, eventually the PC blue screened.
It looks like I’m missing HD DVD drivers so PowerDVD doesn’t know how to play an HD DVD movie.
What do I need to do?

You say the version of powerdvd is for BD, and the drive you bought is an HD DVD drive. What kind of discs are you trying to play as these are 2 different formats. Also if the version of powerdvd is the BD only version then it won't play HD DVD

The Media Centre system came together as a whole, with the BD drive and PowerDVD installed, it's Claritas "appliance". It's very probable that the version provided is BD only. Claritas response was, we do not support that configuration. Should I try to upgrade the player? What version will I be looking for?

you would need the full version of powerdvd Ultra to play back both formats, but I have no idea on how to set it up in media centre

I upgraded to PowerDVD Ultra and it works as a standalone player. I cannot get it listed or played inside Media Centre but this I need to follow up with the Media Centre or PowerDVD support .
Thank you all very much for your support.
Kind regards
Andre Socha

Back