• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Can a dvd+rw be booktyped to dvd-rom?

Spanky

Just wondering if this can be done, my set top player won't see rw and I'm having no luck booktyping a +rw to dvd-rom. :disagree:

Just wondering if this can be done, my set top player won't see rw and I'm having no luck booktyping a +rw to dvd-rom. :disagree:

The capacity to do so is dependent on your burner and your burner's firmware.

Thanks guys. I found a small utility that got the job done on my other optical drive. Changed it without rewriting the disk, didn't know you could do that?

Thanks guys. I found a small utility that got the job done on my other optical drive. Changed it without rewriting the disk, didn't know you could do that?
It makes sense. Isn't it kept in a special part of the DVD?

You generally have to change booktype before burning. dvd+rw differs in that, I believe anyway, it can be changed also after burning.

Last edited:
The capacity to do so is dependent on your burner and your burner's firmware.

Yeah, still won't play in the set top. Gonna try burning again setting the booktype first.

Yeah, still won't play in the set top. Gonna try burning again setting the booktype first.

It may simply be a media/player compatibility issue. I'm under the impression that rws, in general, have a lower reflectivity than writable blank media, so you can either try another brand of rw media--or you may simply be out of luck with rw media and that player.

It may simply be a media/player compatibility issue. I'm under the impression that rws, in general, have a lower reflectivity than writable blank media, so you can either try another brand of rw media--or you may simply be out of luck with rw media and that player.
That's what I am thinking.

I think you guys are right on both counts. The dye on the rw is a dull charcoal grey rather than the reflective blue on the TY DVDR. And it still won’t work on the set top player setting the booktype first, works great on the PC though so I’m sure it’s a compatibility issue with the stand alone player.
I appreciate the help in any case.

Hi :)
Booktype is 4 bits of data which tells the player/writer what format the disc is.
Booktyping & Bitsetting are the same. A method for changing the booktype.
Many folk in order to minimise confusion will refer to Booktype, what the media actually is.
Bitsetting as changing from what to what. i.e. DVD+R to DVD-ROM.
As already stated changing Booktype (or Bitsetting) rewrites the first 4 bits. So that on reading the disc the player is led to believe that the media inserted is a DVD-ROM.
This is done to DVD+R/RW/DL.
There is no need for Bitsetting of - media.
Most will tell that it is not possible. Which isnt strictly true. But more than acceptable for our purposes.
DVD+RW can have its Booktype changed even after writing data. Unlike DVD+R/DL which can only be done prior to burning.

Dye colour can have as dramatic an affect on playability.
Mainly down to reflectivity.
Darker is better in these cases.

Thanks for the info zebadee, that explains how it changed the booktype without rewriting disk. Although it’s kind of a DUH if you think about it.

@ Spanky
Just confirming/consolidating here.
Perhaps Webslinger will move it to become one of his famous stickies.

@ Spanky
Just confirming/consolidating here.
Perhaps Webslinger will move it to become one of his famous stickies.

In what forum would you like me to make it a sticky? Sorry, I'm in the middle of testing Clonecd at the moment, but if you let me know where you want it . . . Or you can certainly feel free to create your own sticky, of course.

Last edited:
I was initially going to make it a sticky, but couldn't decide where to put it.
Although it is media by definition. Most folk (new) only discover it when having problems playing back on a standalone player. Which is hardware.
So I opted out & posted here. :D

Back