• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

QNAP, RAID5, additional Drive

Uhm, ok, if you care mostly about the cost, then probably single disks are your best option ...
Better not take me as an example, because one of my NAS boxes is sitting in a datacenter nearby as a 19" solution :whistle:

Reactions: DQ
SHENANIGANS! I am eating up drive space left and right. I am not low on space yet but I was thinking of adding a drive to my NAS before it gets to that point.

It APPEARS I can do it but I wanted to see if I can confirm with someone that has done it. On a QNAP NAS can you just add an additional disk to a RAID5 array without rebuilding the entire array?

Thanks!

Sorry, I just saw your post. I don't normally look at this forum. I, too, have a QNAP. You can add a disc, but if you want it part of the RAID 5 group, it will have to rebuild (your data will still be accessible during this time. there will be access latency which may or may not be noticeable). You can also add the disc without adding it to the raid group, if you want to avoid the rebuild for some reason.

My NAS had 3 drives in RAID 5, I added two more drives and converted to RAID 6, simultaneously. Later, I added another drive. My data was perfectly accessible during the latter rebuild, but not during the conversion to RAID 6.

Since we all agree that RAID isn't a backup solution, here is my backup strategy (if anyone cares):

- The NAS, itself, is backed up to a set of external HDDs using a file sync. tool. All the files are hashed with multiple hash digest types using a tool of my own creation. The hashes make it easy to periodically verify the backups, the NAS, restores, rebalancing, etc. The tool is able to update the hashes for changes or new files.

- All my rips from AnyDVD are also backed up to external HDDs kept in protective cases. These are also hashed. Additionally, PAR2 files are generated for everything. Since there is only one backup (the discs also serve as their own backup), the PAR2 files make recovery easy for common issues like bit flips, bad sectors, etc. Some discs that were hard to rip, released on burnt media, out-of-print, expensive, etc., have secondary backups.

-- All my AnyStream downloads are double backed up to external HDDs (kept in the same cases as the AnyDVD backups), and hashed.

Currently, I have:
6 10TB drives in the NAS in RAID 6 (so, 4 drives of data, 2 for parity). The NAS is "scrubbed" monthly (i.e., all the files are checked for validity by the QNAP OS).

8 external HDDs to backup NAS (3TB and 6TB in size).

32 external HDDs to backup DVDs, Blu-rays, and downloads (3TB and 6TB in size), in two cases (each case holds 20 drives).

9 external HDDs to serve as secondary backups for DVDs and Blu-rays (various sizes), in one case.

2 external HDDs to double backup important, non-media files on the NAS (these are kept separate for everything else).

DrX

Since we all agree that RAID isn't a backup solution, here is my backup strategy (if anyone cares):

- The NAS, itself, is backed up to a set of external HDDs using a file sync. tool. All the files are hashed with multiple hash digest types using a tool of my own creation. The hashes make it easy to periodically verify the backups, the NAS, restores, rebalancing, etc. The tool is able to update the hashes for changes or new files.

- All my rips from AnyDVD are also backed up to external HDDs kept in protective cases. These are also hashed. Additionally, PAR2 files are generated for everything. Since there is only one backup (the discs also serve as their own backup), the PAR2 files make recovery easy for common issues like bit flips, bad sectors, etc. Some discs that were hard to rip, released on burnt media, out-of-print, expensive, etc., have secondary backups.

-- All my AnyStream downloads are double backed up to external HDDs (kept in the same cases as the AnyDVD backups), and hashed.

Currently, I have:
6 10TB drives in the NAS in RAID 6 (so, 4 drives of data, 2 for parity). The NAS is "scrubbed" monthly (i.e., all the files are checked for validity by the QNAP OS).

8 external HDDs to backup NAS (3TB and 6TB in size).

32 external HDDs to backup DVDs, Blu-rays, and downloads (3TB and 6TB in size), in two cases (each case holds 20 drives).

9 external HDDs to serve as secondary backups for DVDs and Blu-rays (various sizes), in one case.

2 external HDDs to double backup important, non-media files on the NAS (these are kept separate for everything else).

DrX

I always have equal parts shock and interest at how different everyone's solution is. And I think that is because the things we do here there is no single best way to do it. So we all come up with our own "process" based on our own likes/dislikes and personalities.

I back up my NAS to a single USB drive but it's about to become too small as the NAS grows. Your setup though has given me the thought that the back up location for the NAS does not need to be as redundant as the NAS. So simple large drives, even in a RAID0, would be sufficient for a second copy of data. So thanks for that thought process!

I always have equal parts shock and interest at how different everyone's solution is. And I think that is because the things we do here there is no single best way to do it. So we all come up with our own "process" based on our own likes/dislikes and personalities.

I back up my NAS to a single USB drive but it's about to become too small as the NAS grows. Your setup though has given me the thought that the back up location for the NAS does not need to be as redundant as the NAS. So simple large drives, even in a RAID0, would be sufficient for a second copy of data. So thanks for that thought process!

I thought about getting a 2nd NAS and just rsyncing them, but I like the idea of separate, portable HDDs for backup purposes.

Also, my strategy might be too "manual" for some people, but I like the control. It is also a GREAT way to test the integrity of new hardware. I just let it validity all 8 drives of backup (many, many terabytes). I bought a USB hub once that would fail in about 1 bit per terabyte of data! The manufacturer wouldn't believe me and I sent it back to Amazon.

I thought about getting a 2nd NAS and just rsyncing them, but I like the idea of separate, portable HDDs for backup purposes.

Also, my strategy might be too "manual" for some people, but I like the control. It is also a GREAT way to test the integrity of new hardware. I just let it validity all 8 drives of backup (many, many terabytes). I bought a USB hub once that would fail in about 1 bit per terabyte of data! The manufacturer wouldn't believe me and I sent it back to Amazon.

I think your solution is pretty cool. I use Acronis right now for the back up. And Acronis is great. BUT it has a weakness. It cannot back up to more than 1 location. So I could just end up using multiple usb drives but I would need something that can backup to more than 1 location. I am not sure what is reliable and can do that. I need to look around again.

I run a Qnap tvs 882t and a Qnap Pro expansion unit (hidden behind the filter).
They are not full of drives but somewhere around 100tb's of raw data in raid 5.
I also have 8 external HD's in the network that act as backup.
i just buy another external HD when needed and it to the pile. :D

IMG_20220421_221706.jpg

Yup that's the way I went with the backups. I am now just using multiple external drives. I had to drop Acronis though as it would not handle multiple destinations. I found something called Genie that does AND if you turn off encryption and compression is just basically does a managed file copy.

Hey guys,

Maybe my configuration might give some people some ideas.

I've always built my computers from scratch since forever.

Remember how happy I was when I added a math-co-processor to one of the original ones. :LOL:

Anyway, here's what I did with my config.

I have one of those old military corsair tower case, which I like.

I have 8 Drives in it.

I have a HD addon card in one slot that added 4 extra drives to the 6 on motherboard, use blue cables for these connections, since the addon card is slightly slower on transfer rates.

In the upper bay slots, I have two SSD drives, and my Blu Ray/DVD drive.

Upper Bays:

1 SSD 860 (1Tb) - Primary C (Always Plugged In to MB)
2. SSD 840 (500gb) - unplugged from MB - plug in when I do a Disk Clone (usually bi-weekly, unless big changes)
3. Blu Ray/DVD Drive - Always plugged into Add-on card

Lower Bays:

1. D Drive: 8TB - always plugged into MB, created directory called Internal files to update, usually attach other drives below weekly & update
2. E Drive: 8TB - Only plug into MB when transferring files
3. F Drive: 8TB - Only plug into MB when transferring files
4. G drive: 16TB - Only plug into MB when transferring files
5. H Drive: 8TB - Only plug into Add-on card when transferring files
6. I Drive: 8TB - Only plug into Add-on card when transferring files

USB:

Another Blu Ray/writer portable plugged into one port in back.

This drive is slower than the internal one *but* it can sometime read disks without errors that the internal one sometimes can't, even after cleaning.

For some reason it's a lot more forgiving of scratches/surface defects.

Backup:

System Drive:

I have exact duplicates of all my drives offline - 3 copies of system drive thru cloning and checking bootability after cloning (SSD 840, 1TB old Drive, 1 TB old Drive)

Takes 28 minutes to backup to each using USB bootable Acronis Tru Image - what makes it really fast is prior to doing the clone, attach the drive to be cloned too, format it, then boot from USB - saves about 15-20 minutes of "thinking" if the drive is formatted prior to cloning

I also only have the source drive and the drive to be cloned actively attached when cloning, this prevents USB True Image boot from having to analyze drives I'm not going to use and saves a lot of time.

File Drives offline backups:

I use a USB 3.1 StarTech Docking bay - put in the drive & update external drives on the fly to offline backup copies

Have 1 to 1 backups of internal drives duplicated offline to just put in docking bay.

The beauty of this Is I have 2 Roku Ultras that I got on sale for about $60 each that have the USB ports in back and can take my offline backup disks and dock them to play files directly to TV's.

Use another USB 3.1 StarTech Docking bay, plugged into Roku ports to play any movies to TV's - works great with the 16TB drive too!

My system isn't the greatest & currently only on Win10/64 due to Skylake and using a 2070 Super graphics card.

Convert files to H265 for less file space and always test the playability & sound synch prior to deleting originals.

Will probably upgrade next year from a clean install of Win 11, the upgrade from Win 7 pro to Win10/64 was ok, but had holdover issues that took some finagling with.

I've used USB external portable drives the past & found that they are *not* very dependable and get corrupted occasionally, especially with the plug adapters.

Anyway, my system normally only has 2 drives attached actively (SSD 860 1TB), D drive for temporary holding of drives to be copied to internal drives.

Files are backed up immediately thru docking bay & weekly to internal (unplugged drives).

I do this to save wear & tear on drives and extend their lives and for less electricity usage.

Welcome to the forums.

I can see , that like many of us, you enjoy the "process" as much as anything else.

I am not one to question anyone's process. We all do things differently and there is no wrong way. But just some suggestions that might help. If they don't no biggie at all. Just speaking from experience after doing this for years.

- I would take all those drives and pop them in a NAS unit if it were me (that's what I ended up doing ultimately)
- I would not do upgrades of Windows I would clean install only
- I find 265 sometimes gives Roku's heartburn, especially if it came from a DVD
- Keep your portables for sure but use them to backup the NAS
- I dumped Acronis because of the security garbage in it and the fact it cannot backup to multiple drives, I ended up with a Sync program (GoodSync) to copy files from NAS to portable drives

Now again, I am not at all saying you are doing anything incorrect or wrong. I am just trying to give you some ideas because I feel like I was near where you are now. I am certain you have good reasons for your current process and what I have suggested might not satisfy those reasons.

Who here thinks they will watch every video in their collection? When you go to watch a video, it must be a very hard choice. LOL: ;):D

Who here thinks they will watch every video in their collection? When you go to watch a video, it must be a very hard choice. LOL: ;):D

I try to hit all my highlights and rewatch my favorites. In fact I just got done watching one I had not seen before and loved it!

However, you still make a good point.

Actually ... if I was single, I guess it would be manageble ... barely :rolleyes:
But with wife and kids ... no chance :(
At my age, there is absolutely no chance I watch everything on my computer, it's almost silly to keep it up;)

At my age, there is absolutely no chance I watch everything on my computer, it's almost silly to keep it up;)

It's not silly. It just means you have a lot of choice and if you are like me you enjoy having a collection of sorts.

It's not silly. It just means you have a lot of choices and if you are like me you enjoy having a collection of sorts.
Yes I agree, Collecting things is a very real obsession with many people, people collect everything from Beer bottles to Gold teeth. With movies its even better because people get real enjoyment out of watching movies no matter what the genre, people enjoy them and choice is the spice of life, sort of like variety.;)

Back