• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

thread that said not to remove ANY! directory?

thetoad

I can't seem to find it anymore (though perhaps I'm remembering wrong), but at one time wasn't there strong instructions from the developers that one couldn't remove the ANY! directory as it is possible that data needed for java protection removal could be stored there? So, its possible that if one removes it, one breaks playback? (not always the case, and obviously for non java discs it wouldn't be a problem, but I remember it coming up).

or as I said, am I remembering wrong?

I can't seem to find it anymore (though perhaps I'm remembering wrong), but at one time wasn't there strong instructions from the developers that one couldn't remove the ANY! directory as it is possible that data needed for java protection removal could be stored there? So, its possible that if one removes it, one breaks playback? (not always the case, and obviously for non java discs it wouldn't be a problem, but I remember it coming up).

or as I said, am I remembering wrong?
AnyDVD uses files in the directory - and another for BD+ discs - for sector allocation on remastering tasks. This is not limited to "java protection". Region code, speedmenus, remove annoyances, ...
However, if you copy to folder the files contain the replaced sectors and the ANY! directory is not copied.

right, my Q but isn't reusing blocks mostly for ISO context? outside of an ISO context, where data blocks dont matter (as only java code could actually open files in the directory), I thought that the point is that java based protection removal could be broken (i.e. data needed to make proper decisions would be read on demand from the directory) if the directory was removed, right? I was debating with a friend about this, how he always outputs to a directory and removes the ANY! directory, I was trying to say 1) the devs reccomend keeping it as ISO 2) the devs strongly discourage removing the ANY! directory even when output to a directory, as it can break their java fixes.

but as I said, perhaps I was misremembering.

right, my Q but isn't reusing blocks mostly for ISO context? outside of an ISO context, where data blocks dont matter (as only java code could actually open files in the directory), I thought that the point is that java based protection removal could be broken (i.e. data needed to make proper decisions would be read on demand from the directory) if the directory was removed, right? I was debating with a friend about this, how he always outputs to a directory and removes the ANY! directory, I was trying to say 1) the devs reccomend keeping it as ISO 2) the devs strongly discourage removing the ANY! directory even when output to a directory, as it can break their java fixes.

but as I said, perhaps I was misremembering.
I don't think file reads from Java are redirected to ANY!, but I am not 100% sure. IIRC AnyDVD ripper does not copy the ANY! directory. Peer would have hit me with the foam bat, if this would break his java fixes.

EDIT: But writing BD to iso is strongly recommended, to keep the sector layout for seamless branching / interleaving files. Meta information like volume label... Not to mention duplicate sector use with stereoscopic 3D. And maybe Java "behavior", although I doubt it.

Last edited:
I think the MVC 3D blurays aren't much of a concern to most people these days (can't even buy a tv today that has it), the rest only matter (I think) if writing the it back out to an optical disc. If stored on a NAS (all media I buy is ripped, stored on a NAS and optical put away), then unsure sector layout / meta information matter as much to that sort of user. Though willing to be told I'm wrong :)

Back