• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

question on a region 4 dvd

semeparo

hi all my question is i stay in region 1 area and i want to order a region 4 dvd but if i order it will i be able to view and back up this dvd using anydvd. I also would like to know if anydvd will convert it from pal to what we use here in the states. Thank You all feed back is appreciated.

hi all my question is i stay in region 1 area and i want to order a region 4 dvd but if i order it will i be able to view and back up this dvd using anydvd.

Backup, yes . . .

View? Possibly on your computer (more than likely actually), but unlikely on your t.v--unless the region 4 disc is NTSC.

Last edited:
Yeah American TV's generally don't like PAL, and DVD players that do convert PAL --> NTSC usually do an inferior job. The best course of action is usally to have equipment that will play what you own, but as for PAL --> NTSC, here's a short guide I found (it's not my guide, and I can't answer any questions about it):

software needed:
bitrate calculator
virtualdub mpeg2
CCE (or tmpgenc freeware)
DGPulldown

1. start your bitrate calculator and put in the length of the movie and the number and quality of your audio streams. If you want a menu, use a custom DVD size, so ther is place left for menu and extras. Write down the settings for average bitrate and for maximum and minimum bitrate.
2. start auxiliary setup inside virtual dub mpeg-2 folder --> install handler --> run virtual dub
- video --> filters --> add --> resize (720x480 lanzcos3) --> ok --> ok
- file --> start frameserver (choose filename and directory)
now you have a .vdr file with the information for your movie to be resized.
3. Start CCE --> Template:
- now click on one of the existing templates twice to create a fitting new one for your movie:
- choose mpeg-2 ES (vbr multipass), use the bitrate settings form the bitrate calculator, 3 passes (at least), 16:9
video --> mark close all gops --> ok
quality --> natrual picture, intra block precision 9, zigzag
(these settings are for CCE 2.66 but should be similar with any other version of CCE)
(for tmpgenc use vbr 2-pass and the settings from the bitrate calculator, don't use the wizard)
4. DGPulldown --> 25 to 29.97 --> done.
The guide can be found here: http://www.faneditforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=1472 however you need to register to see that particular forum (all you'll see if you click the link is a log-in page). It's worth noting that this guide keeps the PAL speed, but if it's a movie you probably want to slow the film down from 25fps to 23.976 fps (and then raise the audio pitch by about 70 cents.. or 66 or something around that if your software didn't retain the pitch when changing the speed). Oh hell my head hurts just thinking about it!

Back