• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Hardware

ChuckH

I am using an older computer for my CloneBD and AS needs. It is a spare computer that I wasn't using for anything else. It does take a while to convert my Blu-ray discs to MP4s. A shorter movie might take 3.5-4 hours. I am currently converting a television series, 4-5 45 minute long episodes each disc, and it takes an average of 9 hours per disc.

I am curious, how much faster would it be on a newer computer? The program suggests that the CPU is the most important piece of hardware, but how much does the GPU effect the speed?

Thank you.

Any basic gpu will just about always outperform the gpu embedded in the cpu, by a long shot! What's the fps rates you're getting in CloneBD at which quality level. CloneBD uses very little CPU power, but it can use the GPU part of the processor.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I am usually getting less than 10fps. It is a Dell that is a few years old. Except for a second hard drive, it is the stock build, so it basically sucks. I didn't think much about it, since I was mostly converting DVDs and DL from AS, and those were fairly quick, but now that I have moved on to the Blu-rays, it is very noticeable.

How much of a speed gain would I get with a good GPU? How long does it take you to convert an average Blu-ray?

I have a 1080 and when I remember correclty I got more than 100 fps (no HEVC or something, only compressing it to about 15GB), so one BD will only take about 30-90min, depending on the file size (20 or 40GB) and the length of the movie. And you should use SSD instead of HDD or at least two different drives, this will also give you a speed up since it can read and write at the same time on both drives.

In general, you are only as fast as your slowest bottleneck.

I know that is somewhat vague, my point is if you go get something new make sure you know what's in it and how it will affect your CloneBD performance assuming that is your goal.

In general, you are only as fast as your slowest bottleneck.

I know that is somewhat vague, my point is if you go get something new make sure you know what's in it and how it will affect your CloneBD performance assuming that is your goal.
I understand that. For the most part, I am almost done converting my Blu-ray collection. I have the last season, 5 discs, to convert. In the future, it will be sporadic, should I buy a new movie or series. The reason why I am using this computer is because it is the only one with a Blu-ray drive and it was a computer I wasn't using for anything else. It didn't bother me before, but with how long this series is taking, I started thinking about it. And since CloneBD specifically mentions CPU usage and nothing else, I thought I would ask.

Reactions: DQ
I understand that. For the most part, I am almost done converting my Blu-ray collection. I have the last season, 5 discs, to convert. In the future, it will be sporadic, should I buy a new movie or series. The reason why I am using this computer is because it is the only one with a Blu-ray drive and it was a computer I wasn't using for anything else. It didn't bother me before, but with how long this series is taking, I started thinking about it. And since CloneBD specifically mentions CPU usage and nothing else, I thought I would ask.
When all else fails, it doesn't hurt to ask the people on this Forum, and then ask the local tech people where you are located at.

:)

It depends on your output file.

* If you select lossless conversion, then no video decoding and encoding is performed. A GPU would not change anything for this case. Neither would a better CPU. The bottleneck would be solely I/O throughput, that is the speed of the destination hard disk (HDD or SSD) and the speed of the reading device (BD drive, or another HD)
* If you select lossy conversion, then video encoding is performed. In this case, most work is done by the GPU. There are also 2 cases to consider
* 1. you don't change video resolution and perform no color conversion, meaning your output video is the same as the original video. In this case only the HW encoding module of the GPU is involved and the cheapest last-generation, or second-to-last generation GPU is sufficient. The HW encoding module is the same for all models, all other components of the GPU are not used
* 2. you change video resolution. In this case, all shaders of the GPU are used to perform the conversion, in addition to the HW encoding module. The more the better. But then again, with the last generation GPUs, the bottleneck is still I/O.

TL;DR ... only a fast BD drive, a simple SSD and a simple last generation GPU is needed for best performance. This should give you more than 100 fps, or about 10 min per episode.

Back