• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Why it's impossible now to watch any 4K using these players?

Perene

I mean PowerDVD and DVDFab Player.

I remember in the past they were both working to play 4K and 1080p stored in our hard drive. I mean, in the case of 4K folders BDMV and CERTIFICATE.

Now DVDFab always crashes when we try to play from it, and in the case of PowerDVD you are given an error code:
Code:
https://www.cyberlink.com/support/faq-content.do?id=19797#1002
Such as:

Error code 21002, 21003:
This media cannot be played because the required HDCP 2.2 wasn't initiated. Ensure your graphics card, its driver, and your display (e.g. TV, monitor, or projector) support HDCP 2.2. HDCP 2.2 is required to play this content, as governed by Digital Rights Management technologies.

Possible cause:
The HDCP 2.2 digital content protection of Ultra HD Blu-ray movie cannot be enabled normally on your display device or graphics processor.

Suggestion:

Ensure your graphics processor and display device support HDCP 2.2, and that you are using a HDMI 2.0a/DisplayPort 1.3 or above version cable to connect the PC and display. You can also try updating your graphics card driver to the latest version to ensure the latest HDCP 2.2 compatibility.

Here's the thing:

I know my video card, monitor and PC are not new, they wouldn't be able to play a disc using a 4K-drive directly.

But once you get the disc to your hard drive, you can use MakeMKV or AnyDVD to decrypt and do as you please.

The problem here is that you may also want to use your PC to see the 4K-disc menus, of course using a software player and not from your 4K disc drive.

The solution would be, some would argue, to buy new hardware.

I am well aware of that, but...

Here's the thing:

I remember vividly that both these players (PowerDVD especially) were able to play any disc folder I instructed them.

Even with my old hardware.

Now what changed?

They can't play anything anymore even if lives were at stake.

So my question is this:

Do I need to use some specific old version from PowerDVD and DVDFab Player? If so which one?

Because I am sure this impossibility has now been caused by some change in how these programs operate.

I also noticed a few titles can work, but several others NOT.

And once again: when I say playing from the hard drive by checking folders BDMV and CERTIFICATE, I am also telling you that there is NO ENCRYPTION AT ALL. Once saved in my harddrive the whole thing is totally decrypted.

So what's the problem here that all these players freak out and have been totally useless for years?

Last edited by a moderator:
Post edited, link coded. We do not need cyberlink's attention to this forum.

It is often said that DRM does not stop piracy, but stops paying users from accessing their content at the quality they paid for.

It is very frustrating, as I had to forego HDCP 2.2 to get a decent monitor for graphics work, and there are no HDCP 2.2 capable monitors that I am aware of (at least, as of last year when I was looking) with sufficiently accurate color, deep enough contrast, or sufficient uniformity for photo editing, or deep enough blacks for satisfactory video display, and/or which have a calibratable HDR mode, except for perhaps the most recent top model EIZO and equivalents (which are so far out of most people's price bracket they are an unobtainable dream at this point).

It seems the technology is not well enough established yet to enforce it so strictly at this time. I suspect also that high end monitors do not worry about it so much as video editors and film industry special effects artists will be working on their own material rather than watching Netflix on their professional monitors, even though they would be absolutely brilliant for watching movies after hours. Even so, the providers are probably assuming that most users have modern domestic Smart TVs and are not that concerned about PC-based users on a limited budget or with limited living space.

I have a vague hope there might be a dongle out there that can fake adding HDCP 2.2 into the pipeline without compromising anything else about the graphics signal, as once I purchase a monitor it gets used until it dies, which can be a very long time. Have not seen any sign there is one out there though. But in the end, graphics work must take precedence over entertainment (and I am restricted to using the same device for both at this time).

Last edited:
About the requirements: some content can’t be converted to matroska and you need the decrypted disc at least to access them, like text pages, photo galleries or even the original menus from said disc. If we were talking about regular 1080p Blu-ray’s then these would be accessible with any hardware, not the case for 4Ks.

I am investigating if these requirements can be bypassed (HDCP included) by simply using AnyDVD-HD to create a decrypted 1:1 copy to my SSD and/or using another software as an alternative from Cyberlink’s to play these UHD discs, decrypted or not.

My conclusion is that most motherboards for old Intel CPUs like the i5 10400 not only lack a more recent DisplayPort and HDMI, they also fail to mention HDCP anywhere, for their onboard videos. Meaning if one had this SGX CPU and also a SGX motherboard it would have to buy some nvidia video card as well, obviously recent.

Note: SGX has been abandoned in intels 11th gen.

The SGX requirement also entails that no AMD motherboard can be used.

I am still investigating what to do because I always kept untouched full ISO copies from these 4K discs precisely due to some contents not being able to be converted using a few software to matroska, so in such cases you would need to play the original authoring, otherwise you would be limited to the movie and a few extra features in MKV.

this is the list of requirements for cyberlink’s player to be able to open UHD discs:

Operating System
  • Microsoft Windows 10, 8.1, 7 (64 bit OS only)
  • Ultra HD Blu-ray: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit with Fall Creators Update 2017 Oct. updates)
  • HDR10: Windows 10 (64-bit with October 2018 Update)
  • 8K Video Playback: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit with Fall Creators Update 2017 Oct. updates)
  • 4K Video Playback with TrueTheater: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit with Fall Creators Update 2017 Oct. updates)
  • Blu-ray Disc and DVD: Microsoft Windows 10, 8.1, 7 with Service Pack 1
  • VR Mode: Windows 10/8.1/7 with Service Pack 1

• Processor (CPU)
    • Ultra HD Blu-ray: From Intel 7th generation and until Intel 10th generation Core i processors that include the Intel Software Guard Extensions (Intel SGX) technology.
    • VR Mode: Intel i5-4590, AMD FX 8350 equivalent.
    • Blu-ray Disc, DVD Playback:
      • Blu-ray disc playback: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 (2.66GHz), AMD Phenom 9450 (2.10GHz).
      • TrueTheater HD** for Blu-ray and HD video: Intel Core i5 (with 4 Cores), AMD Phenom II X6.
      • DVD playback: Pentium 4 (2.4 GHz), Athlon 64 2800+ (1.8 GHz), AMD Fusion E-series & C-series.
      ** Note: Some Fox titles released from Jul. 2013 will not support TrueTheater HD.
    Graphics Processor (GPU)
    • 8K Video with Hardware Acceleration:
      • AMD Radeon RX 5500, NVIDIA GTX 10 series; Intel 7th Generation Core i7 (Kaby Lake) with HD (UHD) Graphics 630.
      • 8K video output: GPU and 8K monitor with DisplayPort 1.4 or HDMI 2.1 support.
    • Ultra HD Blu-ray: Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 or Intel Iris™ Graphics 640.
      Note: Ultra HD Blu-ray is supported only if a display is powered by Intel Graphics and supports HDCP 2.2. If your computer includes more than one graphics processor, Ultra HD Blu-ray is supported only on the display that is connected and powered by Intel Graphics.
    • VR Mode: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970, AMD Radeon R9 290 equivalent.

• HDR 10 Video Playback:To view High Dynamic Range (HDR) effects from HDR10 Videos, Intel 7th Generation (Kaby Lake) Core i Processors integrated with Intel HD Graphics 630 or Intel Iris Graphics 640, AMD Radeon RX 400 series; RX 500 Series; RX Vega Series, and NVIDIA GTX 950/960, 1000 series (for HEVC HDR 10), RTX 2000 series, GTX 1080 Ti, GTX 1050, GTX 1050 Ti, or GT 1030 (for VP9 HDR 10).
    • 4K Ultra HD with Hardware Acceleration:
      • H.264/AVC: 3rd Generation Intel Core i5 (Ivy Bridge).
      • H.265/HEVC (8bits): 5th Generation Intel Core i5 (Broadwell) or NVIDIA GTX 960.
      • H.265/HEVC (10bits): 7th Generation Intel Core i5 (Kaby Lake) or Nvidia GTX 1060.
    • 4K Playback with TrueTheater: Intel HD/UHD Graphics 630 or Intel Iris Graphics 640 for 4K 30 fps video. NVIDIA GTX 1060 or AMD RX580 for 4K 60 fps video.
    • Blu-ray Disc, DVD, and TrueTheater HD Playback: Intel HD Graphics, ATI Radeon HD 5000, NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT.

Mainboard (Motherboard)
    • Ultra HD Blu-ray: Ultra HD Blu-ray A mainboard is required which supports the Intel Software Guard Extensions (Intel SGX) technology. The Intel SGX feature needs to be enabled in the BIOS settings and allocated with 128 MB or above memory space. To view the HDR 10 effect of Ultra HD Blu-ray movies, a mainboard that supports exporting HDR 10 signal is required.

• Note: To output Ultra HD Blu-ray movies to an external display, the connection port embedded on the mainboard must support HDCP 2.2. For laptop PCs, please refer to the specification of your laptop to see if the external display connection (HDMI/DisplayPort) supports HDCP 2.2 output.
    • HDR 10: To view HDR 10 video, a mainboard that supports exporting HDR 10 signal is required.

Display Device
    • Ultra HD Blu-ray:
      • Display device with HDMI 2.0a/DisplayPort 1.3 connection interface, and must support HDCP 2.2.
      • Screen resolution: Ultra HD resolution (3840 x 2160).
      • Display connection: HDMI 2.0a/DisplayPort 1.3 version cable without any adapters/splitters/repeaters.
      Note: To enable the High Dynamic Range (HDR) feature of Ultra HD Blu-ray movies, the display device must support the HDR display feature and 10-bit color depth display capability with an HDMI 2.0a/DisplayPort 1.4 connection interface. If your display device or GPU doesn't support the HDR feature, PowerDVD will play back the Ultra HD Blu-ray movie under Standard Dynamic Range (SDR) mode.

• Video Output
      • VR Mode: HDMI 1.4, DisplayPort 1.2.

I don't understand. With AnyDVD running, PowerDVD 20 doesn't need SGX, HDCP, Intel Audio & Video secure path.

I don't understand either. Even if on-the-fly doesn't work for you (which should) you can even rip the movies to either folder or ISO and then play with VLC or MPC.

PowerDVD 17 & 18? I doubt this. But I haven't tried recently.
I haven't either, but I thought that anything 4K that was ripped by AnyDVD on a friendly Blu-ray drive and then converted into an MKV works fine.

I have 17 and 18, but I don't have them on my laptop at the moment, or 19 for that matter.

I just have 10, 20 and 21 on my laptop (thanks again for keeping 10 running smoothly just for DVDs, MKVs, and regular Blu-ray discs/isos.)

:)

Sorry, I wasn’t aware AnyDVD was doing this:

• Watch movies over digital display connection, without HDCP-compliant graphics card and without HDCP-compliant display

• If that’s the case then I still need the HDMI 2.0a/DisplayPort 1.3 or even HDMI 1.4 and DP 1.2 will do?

• Also, if you already have the UHD disc decrypted to your hard drive, BDMV folders and such, do you still need to use AnyDVD prior to ask PowerDVD to play such discs? If it has been decrypted AnyDVD still needs to be in Windows tray?

Back