• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

[ Resolved] Amazon Prime download error

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are contemplating a way to make the Amazon page more similar to Netflix/Disney
Personally I would like that ... leaves less space for errors.
That might upset some, but I see AnyStream as a Downloader, not a browser.
And if the process is intuitive and straighforward, there's no need for a manual :cool:

Personally I would like that ... leaves less space for errors. That might upset some, but I see AnyStream as a Downloader, not a browser.
And if the process is intuitive and straighforward, there's no need for a manual :cool:
I don't agree. AnyStream having to display it's own version of a given AmazonPrime web page leaves more space for errors. Things aren't going to remain static on Amazon's end. Any given change Amazon makes to their website cosmetically and behind the scenes can potentially result in AnyStream having to be updated. It's a waste of resources having to do that. RedFox already has to make adjustments with respects to displaying what's available to download from a given page and the ability at that point to download the given stream. That's where their sole focus should be in my opinion. People are already familiar with Amazon's website. Displaying the same website you'd see using a conventional browser is what's intuitive and straightforward. All the user needs to know is that you don't use AnyStream's built-in browser to download (or play) a given stream. You click on the "Downloadable videos" button that populates at the top of the application instead. You don't need a manual for that.

I honestly don't think any of us needs a manual for any part of the program. If someone has a question they can come to the forum, right?

Use case:
I'm new to AnyStream and want to trial
I have an AP account
I don't like to log in to forums (bad experience, want to keep my email as private as possible ... whatever reason)
I open the program, log in to AP and (because it's the obvious thing to do) I click the download button on the page and get an error.
After several tries I give up NOT buying the software because of the issues I experience.

Ok, that might be exaggerated but not impossible :rolleyes:

I totally get your point about putting dev ressources into other topics and Pete already pointed out that even removing the Play button does not work flawlessly.
But every program has to adapt if software it depends on changes ... and I'm certain the Redfox devs can do that :thankyou:

Things aren't going to remain static on Amazon's end. Any given change Amazon makes to their website cosmetically and behind the scenes can potentially result in AnyStream having to be updated.
...which is EXACTLY the problem we currently have. We have to extract information for download painfully from messy HTTP code.
There is really not much of a difference there. We're constantly adapting to changes.

Ok, that might be exaggerated but not impossible
Not exaggerated at all. I'm fairly certain, that we lose numerous customers that exact way. (I'd be one of those - I'm usually not very patient with software that doesn't work from the get-go, especially if it's not obvious to me, that I'm not using it "right")

And I wouldn't (like 99% of the users) go through the process of subscribing to the forum, waiting to be allowed in, asking a question, waiting for an answer....
The very vast majority of our users have never seen the forum.

Use case:
I have an AP account
I don't like to log in to forums (bad experience, want to keep my email as private as possible ... whatever reason)
I open the program, log in to AP and (because it's the obvious thing to do) I click the download button on the page and get an error.
After several tries I give up NOT buying the software because of the issues I experience.

Ok, that might be exaggerated but not impossible :rolleyes:

I totally get your point about putting dev ressources into other topics and Pete already pointed out that even removing the Play button does not work flawlessly.
But every program has to adapt if software it depends on changes ... and I'm certain the Redfox devs can do that :thankyou:
Everyone shouldn't overlook the fact I offered a solution, an improvement if you will for those new users that might get tripped up. Let AnyStream's built-in browser just display the Amazon website as a conventional browser would. When going to the AmazonPrime tab for the first time simply explain to the user what to do. See below.

Use case:
I have an AP account
I open the program, I select the AmazonPrime tab for the first time and receive a pop-up message. The pop-up message would include a "Do not show again" option. (The pop-up message could even be an overlay that fills the entire application window. I've seen this with many applications that I've used. It's simple and effective.)

The pop-up message states...
STEP 1: Log in to Amazon using the built-in browser.
STEP 2: Once logged in navigate to a page that contains a stream you are able to play. Do not attempt to download (or play) the stream from the web page.
STEP 3: To download the stream look for and select the "Downloadable videos" button that populates at the top of the application above the built-in browser.

There's no downside to my suggestion. It would be an improvement any way you slice it. Again, just an idea. To each his own, but I'd prefer that AnyStream display Amazon's website just as a conventional browser would. As a previous forum member mentioned, there are features on a given AmazonPrime page that are useful which I wouldn't want to see removed. If Amazon's website is just displayed normally within AnyStream there are no judgement calls for RedFox to make in that regard. It's less work on RedFox's part as well. Just inform the user in 3 easy steps how to download streams via the AmazonPrime tab and call it a day.

Last edited:
Besides the fact we’d have to get the manual translated into every language in the world, not an easy task

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yup, that would work ... for you, for me and probably some others.
Really, I like the idea. (y)

But today's standard non-patient user is more like:
I want to download! What's this annoying popup? *checks Do-not-show-again* *closes popup without reading*
... you know the rest ;)

Yup, that would work ... for you, for me and probably some others.
Really, I like the idea. (y)

But today's standard non-patient user is more like: ... you know the rest ;)
Yes, of course. Some would just ignore the prompt and look for a way to close it. That's on them though, especially if they choose the "Do not show again" option. Either way, if the given user stumbles at that point there's a good chance they'll say to themselves, maybe I should have read that prompt. Again, it would be an improvement regardless.

Everyone shouldn't overlook the fact I offered a solution, an improvement if you will for those new users that might get tripped up. Let AnyStream's built-in browser just display the Amazon website as a conventional browser would. When going to the AmazonPrime tab for the first time simply explain to the user what to do. See below.

Use case:
I have an AP account
I open the program, I select the AmazonPrime tab for the first time and receive a pop-up message. The pop-up message would include a "Do not show again" option. (The pop-up message could even be an overlay that fills the entire application window. I've seen this with many applications that I've used. It's simple and effective.)

The pop-up message states...
STEP 1: Log in to Amazon using the built-in browser.
STEP 2: Once logged in navigate to a page that contains a stream you are able to play. Do not attempt to download (or play) the stream from the web page.
STEP 3: To download the stream look for and select the "Downloadable videos" button that populates at the top of the application above the built-in browser.

There's no downside to my suggestion. It would be an improvement any way you slice it. Again, just an idea. To each his own, but I'd prefer that AnyStream display Amazon's website just as a conventional browser would. As a previous forum member mentioned, there are features on a given AmazonPrime page that are useful which I wouldn't want to see removed. If Amazon's website is just displayed normally within AnyStream there are no judgement calls for RedFox to make in that regard. It's less work on RedFox's part as well. Just inform the user in 3 easy steps how to download streams via the AmazonPrime tab and call it a day.
Can be a good idea, but maybe add that the downloadables button in step 3 takes a few seconds till it pops up, depending on how much videos there are on the site.

We're not overthinking things. The program is very simple to use. Not everyone figures it out on their first time out though with respects to downloading AmazonPrime streams. That's evidenced by this thread and the many like it I've seen. As such, we're just discussing how the program could be improved to help those users who end up having trouble figuring it out. My suggestion is a simple prompt that's displayed the first time you access the AmazonPrime tab outling in 3 easy steps how it works. That's a simple thing to implement and has no downside. Again, just a suggestion.

No matter how simple you make it, there is always going to be someone that won't get it. The program in my opinion is fine as is.

No matter how simple you make it, there is always going to be someone that won't get it. The program in my opinion is fine as is.
The program is fine for me as well. I inherently knew to look outside the built-in browser for a way to download a given AmazonPrime stream my first time out. And yes, I agree. There will always be someone that doesn't get it. That's not an argument though. You can say that about anything. I'm not advocating for AnyStream to be holding the user's hand every step of the way. A simple prompt being displayed the first time a user accesses the AmazonPrime tab outlining in 3 easy steps how it works does not have a downside. It's a simple thing to implement and would be helpful to every new user, irrespective of whether the given user would have been able to figure it out on their own. Again, just a suggestion. I don't care either way. Just throwing it out there.

And here's another thought. When you're on a page that doesn't contain any streams you have access to the "Downloadable videos" button isn't present. Why not have the "Downloadable videos" button present all the time. If no streams are available to download on a given page the button is greyed out and states, "Downloadable videos (0)". That's better interface design.

Having the button there all the time would draw the attention of the user. New users accessing the AmazonPrime tab for the first time would know that's where they click to download a given stream prior to even reaching a page that contains a stream they have access to. And yes, some users still won't get it. Some users wouldn't notice the button there. What does that matter though? Many users would get it. Those people count too. Again, just an idea.

Last edited:
Easier than the "fab"! Adding the suggestions above might help you but what about the next people that come along? I don't believe the devs should waste time on making something easier to use when it's already simplified. They should spend their time improving it with other providers and higher resolution.

If this program is that difficult then those people should get cable or a satellite.

Maybe this thread should be locked.

Easier than the "fab"! Adding the suggestions above might help you but what about the next people that come along? I don't believe the devs should waste time on making something easier to use when it's already simplified. They should spend their time improving it with other providers and higher resolution.

If this program is that difficult then those people should get cable or a satellite.

Maybe this thread should be locked.
One of the members wants to keep it open so I will do that. No harm here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back