• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

The Outsiders: The Complete Novel

Bounce

Having problems. Cleaned the disc. Still have the failure to copy. Replaced the disc. Same problem (including after cleaning).

Searched and don't see anyone else has already addressed it.

Logfile attached.

Attachments

• AnyDVD_8.5.4.0_Info_D_THE_OUTSIDERS.ziplog
    124.9 KB · Views: 4
Some additional info. Failed at 99% with this error.

Attachments

• IO-Error.jpg
    IO-Error.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 4
"having problems", "same problem", you just leave out 1 tiny bit of vital information. You don't say WHAT the problem is :)

It failed (rip to hdd) at 99% with the above error message?

We posted at the exact same minute. Your 2nd post wasn't there when i pressed submit :) I can't immediately spot anything wrong. Maybe @James can see something.

Having problems. Cleaned the disc. Still have the failure to copy. Replaced the disc. Same problem (including after cleaning).

Searched and don't see anyone else has already addressed it.

Logfile attached.
Your disc and / or drive is dirty and / or defective.

Thanks. Odd. Both discs were cleaned with a pro machine to remove that as an issue. I have another drive that's NIB. I'll try that.

-update-

That worked! Any recommendations for a drive cleaner? I have one of those discs with a small lens brush on it but that's pretty old school.

Last edited:
Your disc and / or drive is dirty and / or defective.

Hi Bounce,

I've been collecting movies for about 15 years now. And one thing I learned after just a few years was that even a brand new disc can have a flaw during the manufacturing process ("stamped"). That's the term I learned back then, but the manufacturing process is still the same that I'm aware of.

Any way, assuming this is a recent purchase, I'd recommend trying to get it swapped out.

Is that a 2-disc DVD? If so, it's eligible for a Disc to Digital conversion based on the UPC here. If it's a Blu-ray it's not; just the original film is eligible. The funny thing is that the DVD costs more than the Blu-ray.

I also wouldn't recommend using a Disc Doctor (or similar) to clean your discs. I just use Maxell Disc & Electronic Cleaner (4 oz) spray bottle but is difficult to find nowadays. I saw an alternative here.

The reason being is that you want to wipe with a lint free cloth from the edge to the center; not in a circular motion. I just use an old white t-shirt. Spray the disc, and use my thumb on the inside of the shirt rubbing from the inner edge to the outer edge and slowly rotate the disc with my other hand. It's a technique worth learning. There might be some videos out there on this.

You can also use VSO Inspector to scan the discs right after purchase to ensure they have no read errors. I run that tool on every single disc I purchase, and then immediately back it up to my NAS in folder format (BDMV). I had to swap out only a few movies within the last couple of years that had read errors.

An alternative is to get AnyStream and then pull it down from AVP... once the 1080 support has been resolved. (y)

I admit I use radial cleaners for DVD's but they're not really that effective. Most of the time, the problems are scratches or defects in the pressing process that cause most read errors. Although someone brought me a disc they couldn't play and I determined it was because, apparently, someone had smeared a blob of chocolate onto the bottom! The radial cleaner worked there to fix that problem. As for what to clean a disc with, you can get various kinds of sprays, etc, but I generally use 90% isopropyl alcohol. Don't get the lesser 75%, etc. They tend to leave films behind. However, I've also employed what was suggested before by using my thumb and my shirt to clear up small smudges.

What I do to test the readability of a disc is to use ImgBurn to read it to an ISO file. It will still copy the encrypted data but I don't want a playable disc. I'm just testing the readability of it. However, this doesn't work for structurally protected discs. Another method is to simply try and copy the VIDEO_TS folder in Windows/File Explorer. Again, you don't want to get a playable VIDEO_TS, just make sure it can be read. What I used to do was put in a DVD in my PS3 and play all the contents, the movie, the special features, etc. at 10x all the way through. If the PS3 didn't encounter pauses, it was a fairly good indicator the disc was entirely readable.

I recently got in a DVD from 2020, I believe it was, Driving While Black, that was corrupt from the factory. It wouldn't play past 9 minutes into the disc. I returned it for a 2nd copy and that worked fine. It happens. Not very often, but it does.

What I do to test the readability of a disc is to use ImgBurn to read it to an ISO file.
I would recommend using VSO Inspector to analyze your physical discs. It will read the disc directly from the optical drive and provides a detailed report of where any read errors were found. This gives you something to prove the disc is defective if needed, plus it saves a great deal of time versus using the ImgBurn to ISO file route because at that point you are now just looking at a corrupt file and not a corrupt disc.
was corrupt from the factory. It wouldn't play past 9 minutes... I returned it for a 2nd copy and that worked fine. It happens. Not very often, but it does.
That's definitely a very accurate statement! (y)

Writing to ISO in ImgBurn will never complete if the disc is corrupt. That's how I determine if the disc is unplayable. If the ISO Read operation doesn't complete, then the disc is unreadable and therefore most likely bad from the factory.

Writing to ISO in ImgBurn will never complete if the disc is corrupt. That's how I determine if the disc is unplayable. If the ISO Read operation doesn't complete, then the disc is unreadable and therefore most likely bad from the factory.
Writing to iso using AnyDVD does the same. Including a detailed error report, if you like. Just saying...

I know, but I don't got that route to isolate, in case, it is a rare problem with AnyDVD that is causing the failure to read a disc. As I said, it's rare, but it has happened before in the past. AnyDVD's translation layer might be a problem in a VERY FEW cases. I like to eliminate as many variables as possible. :)

I know, but I don't got that route to isolate, in case, it is a rare problem with AnyDVD that is causing the failure to read a disc. As I said, it's rare, but it has happened before in the past. AnyDVD's translation layer might be a problem in a VERY FEW cases. I like to eliminate as many variables as possible. :)
To rule out AnyDVD's "translation layer", you need to disable AnyDVD for your test with ImgBurn. And if you hit a structural protection with intentional read errors... you get my point?

I did forget you could temporarily disable AnyDVD. I think there's a context menu command for the icon in the Notification Tray that does that? I don't have AnyDVD always running/running on Windows start because I'm afraid I'll forget to temporarily disable it for the one use case I discovered. With rewritable DVD media, if AnyDVD is running when you burn discs, Verify will always fail in ImgBurn until you fully erase the media again, even if the image is not a DVD Video. You are, of course, not supposed to run AnyDVD while burning with ImgBurn to avoid read conflicts. This issue will occur with any kind of image writes to rewritable DVD until the disc is fully erased again. So, I only enable AnyDVD on a use case basis and close it off whenever I'm done decrypting discs.

Back