• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Non-UHD Blu-Ray Bitrate Selection

DQ

Does anyone have any guidance/advice on bit-rate for Blu-Rays?

I go lossless on UHD because I am after max quality and encoding those takes forever. But for normal Blu-Ray I had been using 6mb using 265 (I stick to 264 for DVD).

So I am wondering if going to say 12mb for 1080p is advantageous. I got the 12mb since it's double of 6 obviously but also because 12mb is recommended by YouTube for 1080p.

I am going back and reencoding some of my favorite movies to add more audio tracks (I was not adding surround for some time) so I was going to bump the bit-rate.

And yes I have run some tests and I believe I see some noticeable quality uptick in 6 vs 12 but it's not night and day and it could just be a placebo effect.

So I thought I would sanity check myself with the community on that topic.

Thanks!

Like someone else mentioned, I don't think this Forum is monitored anymore.
I don't have any scientific explanations for my picks, but I use around 14 mbps for TV Shows, 15 for regular movies and 18 for 3D/SBS conversion.
Sometimes I get encoder failures and have to set it to a different bit rate - Usually I get fewer encoder failures with slightly higher bitrates.
Another thing I noticed is that some movies don't work at all when you select any subtitle - Deselecting all subtitles usually works fine.
The few I can't make work at all require the help of Anystream ;)

You think wrong. But the the elaborate bytes staff isn't obligated (or any staff member) to post anything.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Not obligated, but a courtesy for paying customers.
Not talking about me here, but ever since I bought the program I keep monitoring this forum for news/updates and noticed that there is not much response at all from the "higher ups".

Just following up here. I ended up re-ripping all my favorite Blu-Rays in 12k bitrate and also to grab all surround audio tracks I had not before. Somewhere between doubling the bitrate and 4k upscaling (which was still there with my 6k bitrate) the movies seem to look significantly better. I wonder if the higher bitrate enables upscaling to function better. Honestly while some movies looked a little better some I could have sworn were 4k (but obviously in this case the source was only 1080p).

Long story short, even though it doubles the file size I will be encoding blu-rays in 265 and at a 12k bitrate. Seems to make a more than noticeable difference in many (but not all) cases.

Just following up here. I ended up re-ripping all my favorite Blu-Rays in 12k bitrate and also to grab all surround audio tracks I had not before. Somewhere between doubling the bitrate and 4k upscaling (which was still there with my 6k bitrate) the movies seem to look significantly better. I wonder if the higher bitrate enables upscaling to function better. Honestly while some movies looked a little better some I could have sworn were 4k (but obviously in this case the source was only 1080p).

Long story short, even though it doubles the file size I will be encoding blu-rays in 265 and at a 12k bitrate. Seems to make a more than noticeable difference in many (but not all) cases.
Higher bitrate = better video quality (less artifacts), your step up from 6 to 12 proves that. Blurays have, or try to reach a bitrate of 40 but streaming a good quality cable channel or streaming app 25 is good. Before re-ripping all of them I would have tried one at 12 then at 20 to see the difference, but if 12 looks good then you are done. If you had a projector with a 174" screen you would want max bitrate :)

Back