• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Something ain't right... Who ate all the RAM?..

AS likely did what I would've done. Come up with a use case scenario for the app and then made it do that. That's not to say all dev would cease there. Of course they will do bug fixes, feature improvements, etc. But the fact remains, that outside of a few know it alls the bulk of their userbase will not even notice, understand, nor care about this if relaunching the app immediately resolves whatever problem they're experiencing. Why do you think there are so many feature requests queued up? They simply have to choose which basket gets them the most return on their investment.

Elite coders are not their target market and making them feel all warm and fuzzy inside about the execution of the development process, choice of language, memory management is counterproductive to the intended use. You're basically arguing that a Kia Optima doesn't get you where you need to go because you like Ford Mustangs better.

AS likely did what I would've done. Come up with a use case scenario for the app and then made it do that. That's not to say all dev would cease there. Of course they will do bug fixes, feature improvements, etc. But the fact remains, that outside of a few know it alls the bulk of their userbase will not even notice, understand, nor care about this if relaunching the app immediately resolves whatever problem they're experiencing. Why do you think there are so many feature requests queued up? They simply have to choose which basket gets them the most return on their investment.

Elite coders are not their target market and making them feel all warm and fuzzy inside about the execution of the development process, choice of language, memory management is counterproductive to the intended use. You're basically arguing that a Kia Optima doesn't get you where you need to go because you like Ford Mustangs better.

I'm still not getting your point. I think you think I'm arguing from a point of view that I am not.

Edit: I'm also getting the impression you think I am criticism AS, which I certainly am not.

I cannot reproduce any of these memory issues, probably a reboot would have fixed the issue, and it wouldn't have happened again. Could be an operating system error, who knows with no log.

You clearly missed the second part of the post that starts with "Edit: ..." But the log exists, it's just too big for the forum backend, allow uploads as large as the log (I stated its size expressly) and you'll have the log!

The point is that if you're using .NET, hyper efficient memory management was likely not even on the radar. I doubt its ever been on the radar until today.

If you think there is money to be made in an alternative that is designed for expert coders - who could quickly and cheaply write their own memory efficient apps but would instead pay for yours - then go right ahead. I guess you've found a vacuum in the market.

The point is that if you're using .NET, hyper efficient memory management was likely not even on the radar. I doubt its ever been on the radar until today.

If you think there is money to be made in an alternative that is designed for expert coders - who could quickly and cheaply write their own memory efficient apps but would instead pay for yours - then go right ahead. I guess you've found a vacuum in the market.

Again: this has nothing to do with anything I've said. You keep trying to twist it that I'm either arguing about some idealized, lofty (i.e., 'leet) code development process, and/or I am criticizing RedFox's software. Both are wrong and completely disingenuous.

You're totally missing the point of a profitable business model. If you spend time swabbing the deck on the Titanic, you're going to sink.

I didnt suggest you were critisizing AS, rather anyone who would do things in a manner that you yourself don't endorse.

You're totally missing the point of a profitable business model. If you spend time swabbing the deck on the Titanic, you're going to sink.

Still nothing to do with what I was saying. I think we're done here.

That's exactly how you were missing the point. If you haven't put me on ignore yet go ahead and do that.

I block people that are rude or nasty. I don't block people simply because disagree with them.

DrX

Okay , I have an idea, lets leave this thread alone, there is no log file, let the developers figure it out. I am sure everybody has something else better to do than this.

I have these arguments all the time with my devs - they want to do truly admirable things - which if time and money were no object, I would have no objections to doing such things. The reality of the situation is though I have to be the proxy between the lofty goals of computer nerds and those of hard-nosed management. I am well versed in arguing either side, walking the line like its a tightrope.

Except you literally said that:

Anyway, the arguments are turning circular now...
A well placed comma could make that sentence mean something else. Just because you have billions at your disposal doenst mean you will spend billions on it. So it shouldve read like this:

Edge is developed by MS, with billions of dollars to invest (as in future, not past-tense) in making it as efficient as possible.

Last edited:
AS + Edge (12 tabs)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-04-28 121455.png
    Screenshot 2021-04-28 121455.png
    27.3 KB · Views: 17
AS + Edge (12 tabs)
I really think the issue is once AS has been open for a while and you've been navigating around a bit. I've seen AS get super slow with loading pages after a few downloads and refreshing the watchlist, etc. I just relaunch it and everything is functional again. I've never considered it an issue.

Virgin AS (at launch) with Prime provider only, same box, no reboot, box uptime just over 11 days:

as-virgin.jpg

Back