• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Just curious, how do others use AnyDVD with UHD

DQ

I just started messing with a few UHD discs I purchased. After some drive issues I was able to get a process down and this is what I do but I am curious how others handle their UHD.

So I use Plex for all my movie playing needs and I use it on Roku devices around the house. Currently I have been using AnyDVD to copy the movies to hard drive. Then I use CloneBD to make a lossless MKV copy.

I went with lossless because since it's UHD I am after the quality and it seems even if I try to compress them down the files are still pretty huge (and that process takes quite some time).

How do you handle your UHD?

I just started messing with a few UHD discs I purchased. After some drive issues I was able to get a process down and this is what I do but I am curious how others handle their UHD.

So I use Plex for all my movie playing needs and I use it on Roku devices around the house. Currently I have been using AnyDVD to copy the movies to hard drive. Then I use CloneBD to make a lossless MKV copy.

I went with lossless because since it's UHD I am after the quality and it seems even if I try to compress them down the files are still pretty huge (and that process takes quite some time).

I use AnyDVD to decrypt the Blu-ray discs into an ISO, and then use either CloneBD or MakeMKV to convert my movies or episodic TV shows into MKVs. Every once in a while, I'll use software from VSO (such as Blu-ray Converter Ultimate) to convert my ISOs into MKVs. They're nearly as good as going the CloneBD or MakeMKV route, but I do like to make sure that I have other options available for converting my AnyDVD ISO files into an MKV container. I aslo sometimes use MKVcleaver (freeware) to make sure that the MKVs that I create are compliant for me to use with PowerDVD20 Ultra, VLC, etc.

:)

I use AnyDVD to decrypt the Blu-ray discs into an ISO, and then use either CloneBD or MakeMKV to convert my movies or episodic TV shows into MKVs. Every once in a while, I'll use software from VSO (such as Blu-ray Converter Ultimate) to convert my ISOs into MKVs. They're nearly as good as going the CloneBD or MakeMKV route, but I do like to make sure that I have other options available for converting my AnyDVD ISO files into an MKV container. I aslo sometimes use MKVcleaver (freeware) to make sure that the MKVs that I create are compliant for me to use with PowerDVD20 Ultra, VLC, etc.

Thanks for the insight. Do you compress your UHD's when you make them into MKV or do you just go lossless? For my DVDs I normally go 264 and for non-UHD Blu-Ray I go 265 and as I mentioned for UHD I do the lossless thing.

I do this for all disc types: I insert the original disc in my Windows PC and watch it including menus with a media player over the network, e.g. the "fake Oppo" or a Dune HD. AnyDVD is used to place subtitles the way I want, make them transparent, remove annoyances. Sometimes I use AnyDVD speedmenus, if a disc is extremely annoying.
Sometimes I rip to iso first, mount the image in VCD and do the same as above.

Thanks for the insight. Do you compress your UHD's when you make them into MKV or do you just go lossless? For my DVDs I normally go 264 and for non-UHD Blu-Ray I go 265 and as I mentioned for UHD I do the lossless thing.
I don't compress my UHDs when I make them into MKVs, so I guess that means I make them lossless, i.e. I let my program of choice just simply convert the UHD into an MKV without any loss of quality.

I let my program of choice just simply convert the UHD into an MKV without any loss of quality.
Quality will be fine but what about DV? As far as I know it allows only single layer DV.
Did you ever notice somthing wih this when converting to MKV?

Quality will be fine but what about DV? As far as I know it allows only single layer DV.
Nope, I'm just busy eating popcorn and watching my movie or show.

:D

Seriously, what do I need to look out for as far as quality for my MKV rips?

I've been doing them since I got CloneBD back when it first came out, so I never bothered to change any settings as far as ripping MKVs go.

DV has only one purpose: Brainwashing "High-End-Magazine" journalists and create a lot of money from licensing fees for Dolby Laboratories. :D

DV has only one purpose: Brainwashing "High-End-Magazine" journalists and create a lot of money from licensing fees for Dolby Laboratories. :D

Honestly, sometimes I think half of tech is just marketing. I was playing a multiplayer game earlier that is a FPS and someone exclaimed in chat that he just realized his gaming monitor had been set at 60hz refresh instead of 144hz for the last few months. One would have thought according to the marketing that the difference between the 2 is so vast that you would easily notice the difference and you should be utterly disgusted by using the slower of the settings. Yes I know there is indeed a difference I am just making a point.

Nope, I'm just busy eating popcorn and watching my movie or show.

:D

Seriously, what do I need to look out for as far as quality for my MKV rips?

I've been doing them since I got CloneBD back when it first came out, so I never bothered to change any settings as far as ripping MKVs go.

As I mentioned earlier I rip to MKV with 264 for DVD and 265 for Blu-Ray (I use Handbrake for each of those) but I specifically tell CloneBD to do lossless on UHD. I mean if you compress it down decently it's about 30gb. For 45gb I can do lossless and not spend an hour or more per disc.

I do this for all disc types: I insert the original disc in my Windows PC and watch it including menus with a media player over the network, e.g. the "fake Oppo" or a Dune HD. AnyDVD is used to place subtitles the way I want, make them transparent, remove annoyances. Sometimes I use AnyDVD speedmenus, if a disc is extremely annoying.
Sometimes I rip to iso first, mount the image in VCD and do the same as above.

Interesting. I use Plex so I store everything with it post rip and use the formats it can read. Part of that is because I use Roku devices and they have a Plex client that works well.

I recently got my first UHD disc last week and I had to use AnyDVD to even be able to play it because I was for some reason required to have an Intel CPU/motherboard to play it. I that so ridiculous, they don't want us to pirate but take such drastic measures to prevent the consumer from consuming their content! I most certainly am not switching out my Ryzen 3900X for an Intel CPU which will cost a heck ton more than it usually would during COVID demand, motherboard too.

It's at times like these I'm so glad I got AnyDVD. Now I can watch my discs with my friends over Discord screenshare (it works really well).

By the way, do you have any suggestions for a good UHD disc player? I don't want to rip the discs or anything, just have the discs there as it is and watch them.
I tried PowerDVD 20 Ultra (and 19) but for some reason AnyDVD stopped preventing the screen from hiding during playback (this is with all discs now). So now I can't even screenshot it. I'm currently using VLC for UHD playback but it's really unoptimised.
FYI, I made a post about it but no one really had a resolution for it.

I did not find any use in this too but some of my friends do. If one thinks it improves quality I won't say the opposite.
Here in this case I was only wondering about the technical aspect.

Last edited:
I recently got my first UHD disc last week and I had to use AnyDVD to even be able to play it because I was for some reason required to have an Intel CPU/motherboard to play it. I that so ridiculous, they don't want us to pirate but take such drastic measures to prevent the consumer from consuming their content! I most certainly am not switching out my Ryzen 3900X for an Intel CPU which will cost a heck ton more than it usually would during COVID demand, motherboard too.

It's at times like these I'm so glad I got AnyDVD. Now I can watch my discs with my friends over Discord screenshare (it works really well).

By the way, do you have any suggestions for a good UHD disc player? I don't want to rip the discs or anything, just have the discs there as it is and watch them.
I tried PowerDVD 20 Ultra (and 19) but for some reason AnyDVD stopped preventing the screen from hiding during playback (this is with all discs now). So now I can't even screenshot it. I'm currently using VLC for UHD playback but it's really unoptimised.
FYI, I made a post about it but no one really had a resolution for it.

Sorry, I do not have a recommendation for a player. As mentioned I use Plex for everything which is why I make MKV copies so of course that's my player in this case.

Although earlier in the this thread James mentioned how he plays his UHD, that sounds like another direction you could go in.

I rip to mkv with clonebd. No compression. I put them on my NAS where my plex server picks them up. My htpc has jriver mc which also picks them up. Both then present them as a library. With jriver I use madvr for tone mapping on my LG c8 oled. It's awesome.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Honestly, sometimes I think half of tech is just marketing. I was playing a multiplayer game earlier that is a FPS and someone exclaimed in chat that he just realized his gaming monitor had been set at 60hz refresh instead of 144hz for the last few months. One would have thought according to the marketing that the difference between the 2 is so vast that you would easily notice the difference and you should be utterly disgusted by using the slower of the settings. Yes I know there is indeed a difference I am just making a point.
While I generally agree on tech being mostly marketing, I have to disagree on 144 Hz gaming. Using a 144 Hz monitor for gaming is like night and day. If you dont believe me, I'd suggest watching this really nicely done video:
I guess you can get accustomed to most refresh rates pretty fast (looking at 30 fps console gamers), so some users might not notice an refresh rate change after a reboot.

BTT: Just got into ripping UHDs today, but I guess I will handle them just like I handle my 1080p discs:
I boot a Windows VM with my disc drive passed through (using Ubuntu as host system), let AnyDVD do its magic, then mount the BluRay folder (as SMB share from that Windows VM) on my host system.
Using MKVToolNix, I then create a lossless MKV from that BluRay structure, keeping languages and subtitles that I like, fixing forced subtitles etc.
The resulting MKV is then put into my Plex library, I currently use a Vero4K+ as a client, with PlexKodiConnect plugin.

Works like a charm, only downside is that storage demand is pretty high (currently at 44 TB of used storage, and another 44 TB of backup storage).

With regard to DV UHDs, I'm likely going to use MakeMKV to preserve that DV metadata. For playing back DV content, I used to have a NVIDIA Shield, but that device sucked. Currently looking for a replacement capable of proper DV playback, the Ugoos AM6 Plus looks promising...

While I generally agree on tech being mostly marketing, I have to disagree on 144 Hz gaming. Using a 144 Hz monitor for gaming is like night and day. If you dont believe me, I'd suggest watching this really nicely done video:
I guess you can get accustomed to most refresh rates pretty fast (looking at 30 fps console gamers), so some users might not notice an refresh rate change after a reboot.

BTT: Just got into ripping UHDs today, but I guess I will handle them just like I handle my 1080p discs:
I boot a Windows VM with my disc drive passed through (using Ubuntu as host system), let AnyDVD do its magic, then mount the BluRay folder (as SMB share from that Windows VM) on my host system.
Using MKVToolNix, I then create a lossless MKV from that BluRay structure, keeping languages and subtitles that I like, fixing forced subtitles etc.
The resulting MKV is then put into my Plex library, I currently use a Vero4K+ as a client, with PlexKodiConnect plugin.

Works like a charm, only downside is that storage demand is pretty high (currently at 44 TB of used storage, and another 44 TB of backup storage).

With regard to DV UHDs, I'm likely going to use MakeMKV to preserve that DV metadata. For playing back DV content, I used to have a NVIDIA Shield, but that device sucked. Currently looking for a replacement capable of proper DV playback, the Ugoos AM6 Plus looks promising...

I know there is a noticeable difference. I was just using that real-world example as a way to make a point. I did not mean to infer that was totally a marketing thing. Marketing exaggerates it but there is indeed a difference.

Yes the size is why I compress DVD and non-uhd Blu-Ray. And that seems to work really well as far as size vs quality goes especially with 265. But with UHD I am looking for max quality and I don't plan on having that many so I just go lossless on those. Plus to encode to 265 seems like it would take a long time AND the file is still pretty huge.

I rip to mkv with clonebd. No compression. I put them on my NAS where my plex server picks them up. My htpc has jriver mc which also picks them up. Both then present them as a library. With jriver I use madvr for tone mapping on my LG c8 oled. It's awesome.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Very interesting. My library would be ginormous if I did that but I am thinking about making some of my favorite visually stunning non-UHD lossless and see if there is an increase in visual quality.

So all this discussion is AWEWSOME. It brings me to 2 questions though.

1) How is a lossless non-uhd Blu-Ray 30GB and a lossless UHD about 45GB when the UHD contains 2x the data or so?
2) I watched an encoded in 265 non-uhd Blu-Ray which is about 9GB and a lossless version of the same which is about 30GB and I could not see the visual difference. Is it just me or am I missing something?

Just curious as I am trying to nail down a good process for non-uhd and uhd discs. Thank you.

1) They are not the same codec! Blu-ray uses VC-1, MPEG2, or in the majority of cases h.264. UHD uses h.265 HEVC which is allows them to fit higher bitrates into lower sizes. But increases the hardware requirements to encode/decode them.
2) H.265 is a very efficient codec, as mentioned. It allows you to have a much smaller file size while retaining much more visual quality. I encode all my mpeg2 tv recordings from my TiVo to h.265 for that reason.

Back