• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Need Help with AS Output (.MP4). What are others doing with them?

Electron003

Greetings,

Looking for some help on what is the best way to use the .mp4 file. I'm new to AS, but long time user of other their products. I now have some .mp4 files from AS that I'm wondering what to do with??

How are others playing them? Do you convert to another format?

I have been using the "Embedded" subtitle option. Was this a mistake? Should I have used the SRT option? If so, how do I get the subtitles out of the .mp4 files I already have?

Do others worry about chapters? If so, what do you use? (I'd like to have chapters)

I was thinking I would convert the .mp4 to MKV (using Powerdirector), but PD does not output the subtitles (or even show them). In fact, MKVToolnix does not even show subtitles in the .mp4 file - even though mediainfo says they are there.

I use Koditv to play my collection, which consists of movie only .iso DVD's (no menus) and MKV BD's (no menus). I have no other formats.

Now I have .mp4 files.

Wondering what is the best course of action. All my tools are for DVD and BD.

Many thanks

Greetings,

Looking for some help on what is the best way to use the .mp4 file. I'm new to AS, but long time user of other their products. I now have some .mp4 files from AS that I'm wondering what to do with??

I have been using the "Embedded" subtitle option. Was this a mistake? Should I have used the SRT option? If so, how do I get the subtitles out of the .mp4 files I already have?

Do others worry about chapters? If so, what do you use? (I'd like to have chapters)

I was thinking I would convert the .mp4 to MKV (using Powerdirector), but PD does not output the subtitles (or even show them). In fact, MKVToolnix does not even show subtitles in the .mp4 file - even though mediainfo says they are there.

I use Koditv to play my collection, which consists of movie only .iso DVD's (no menus) and MKV BD's (no menus). I have no other formats.

Now I have .mp4 files.

Many thanks
MKVToolNix works wonders.

I don't convert them. I keep them at .mp4. Better compatibility with the kids devices. Only time I would use mkv is if I want to merge multiple audio tracks.

I use plex, got my self a NAS drive and run plex server from there. All the family can watch what they want at any time.

From my understanding and someone will correct me if I am wrong but I read that you can't have embedded subtitles on a .mp4? I dont use subtitles but when I have its always a .srt file.

Greetings,

Now I have .mp4 files.

Many thanks

BOX4 3 - easy to use, up to 90 or 99 mp4/mkv files batch possible.
Detects embedded subtitles. Once configured works like a charm.

You play the files just like an mkv, Kodi should be just fine, are you having trubble with it?
MKVToolNix seems like its not able to read subs from mp4 properly, unless there is a setting for it.
i also use embedded subbs, no issues with VLC/Plex.

Code:
www.Tuneskit.com has a free subtitle extracor for mp4, i havent used it with anystream files but works with itunes mp4
give it a try

I use a batch file to run all completed files in download directory through MKVToolNix

almost everything plays mp4 files. while i typically use mkv, i don’t really care if the container is mp4 because it is fairly ubiquitous - more so than mkv.

the subtitles are a problem if you convert. i don’t think chapters are supported in mp4 but searching around seems you might be able to add them. may be limited in which mp4 players will support the chapters you add.

have you tried playing the mp4? does that at least work and with subtitles?

Greetings,

Now I have .mp4 files.

Many thanks

You're hypothesising way too much: what is the actual problem that is a showstopper for you?

Greetings,

Now I have .mp4 files.

Many thanks

Try VLC Player. Its free and plays just about anything you throw at it.

Its also the player used in Kodi which you say you used...

What is wrong with just watching them as an mp4? Personally, I would never convert them to MKV but that's just me. I watch them with PowerDVDUltra but that's pay for viewer, as was said VLC is free and it works fine. The 1080p views great on my monitor or TV. Try a few things and see what you like, I think many people here use different viewing programs to watch the output.

32TB holds a lot of mp4. I wish I had that much space. Good luck and enjoy.

My system has more . My gaming/video/htpc/Plex server rig has 37TB :p

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

My system has more . My gaming/video/htpc/Plex server rig has 37TB :p

Wow, I only have about 8TBs, I guess I need to buy a few more drives or some space in the cloud.

Wow, I only have about 8TBs, I guess I need to buy a few more drives or some space in the cloud.

Mines a dedicated server used purely as a plex streaming server. its just 46% full at the moment but now ive got AS...

Mines a dedicated server used purely as a plex streaming server. its just 46% full at the moment but now ive got AS...
I know the feeling, with AS things can start filling up pretty quick. I'll in the process of grabbing grey's anatomy atm

Thank you for all the comments.

I realized lying in bed last night the main problem I have (that I didn't mention above) is that my amp cannot play the EAC3 audio - so I cannot get 5.1 without tweaking the file. My editor does that, but it kills the embedded subtitle files within the .mp4. Some of the videos do need subs.

Further, I am used to chapters. I tweak all my shows etc by adding chapters after the title sequence / previously on segments so that I don't have to watch them again and again. Bang...push the chapter button and you jump over it. Without chapters in the .mp4, you can't do that. Kodi only seeks a specific timeframe step. Makes the whole process of finding the exact point quite tedious. MP4 does do chapters supposedly, but the tools I have to create chapters only works with other formats (namely DVD & BD >> MKV). I also like to remove credits / logos, which saves a huge amount of space on the HDD's. I guess I also only want a single file to deal with.

These are all the things I have been used to. I'm an oldie, so dealing with change is difficult, and the brain no longer works like it once did. Learning is slow :(

Yes...the MP4's play on my HTPC as is. I'd like a new amp, but funds are scarce. Tweaking the file is the only way I get 5.1 in the current setup. MKVToolNIx does NOT show the embedded subtitle files.

I figured perhaps someone here had a way of dealing with these things when starting with a MP4. I've never had to deal with MP4's before, so I was hopeful.

Many thanks.

Anystream is awesome and I personally leave everything in MP4 and import into ITunes with data storage on 2 separate Synology NAS. There must be different variations of MP4 within the standard. When I create MP4's in handbrake they import into ITunes almost instantly, even the 13gb files. Anystream's output MP4's apparently have to be read into memory by ITunes and rewritten back to disk when adding titles, descriptions and art. Makes batch importation of a whole season a lengthy affair. Not really a complaint, just an observation.

Thank you for all the comments.

I realized lying in bed last night the main problem I have (that I didn't mention above) is that my amp cannot play the EAC3 audio - so I cannot get 5.1 without tweaking the file. My editor does that, but it kills the embedded subtitle files within the .mp4. Some of the videos do need subs.

As long as the streaming provider offers other audio tracks, anystream will list them too. There's usually entries for AC3 (dolby digital) or DTS too on most titles.

Back