• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

PC Case Selection as it relates to internal optical drives

DQ

So I assume that most folks here use an internal optical drive. I know I do. I have always figured that a true external drive is just a no-no. Sure you can take an internal drive and make it external but that seems fraught with possible issues as well.

But every PC build I do (which happens every 2-4 years) I notice fewer and fewer decent cases with an optical drive slot. In fact now there seems to be only a handful of what I would call a good case available with a drive slot.

I was just curious what other people might thing of this dilemma and if you face it as well. Or am I wrong and everyone is using external optical drives?

Wow.. a whole month and no answer to your question.

My last few cases I bought have no options for optical drives, so yeah.. I'd need an external one.

There is no physical difference between the two, just their interface to the system. SATA or USB.

No dilemma.. just go with a trusted company to buy your drive(s).

Reactions: DQ
Wow.. a whole month and no answer to your question.

My last few cases I bought have no options for optical drives, so yeah.. I'd need an external one.

There is no physical difference between the two, just their interface to the system. SATA or USB.

No dilemma.. just go with a trusted company to buy your drive(s).

Thanks much for the reply, it is appreciated.

It's ironic you would answer now, I actually just got the stuff in and finished the build yesterday.

I found ultimately there are still a handful or 2 of really good cases with 5.25 bays. The only thing about that is they tend to be full towers and on the pricey side. But I snagged one anyway. I bought a Corsair Obsidian 750 Airflow.

It's an awesome case in the event anyone is interested. It's just big as hell but that does make for easy building so.

Anyway, thanks again.

Missed my date with fate by a couple days eh?

I rarely.. rarely answer posts here unless I'm drawn here by an issue I'm having with the software, and I don't usually do.

I just got me a Thermaltake View 71... the bloody thing is a beast.

It's one thing to look at it in awe, when you see the glass sides and drive bay options (minus the optical of course).. but when you read the fine print, she's a solid steel case and the 5mm glass sides combined to create a case that's 35 lbs when it's empty. About 50 fully loaded.

Enjoy your new toys! :)

Missed my date with fate by a couple days eh?

I rarely.. rarely answer posts here unless I'm drawn here by an issue I'm having with the software, and I don't usually do.

I just got me a Thermaltake View 71... the bloody thing is a beast.

It's one thing to look at it in awe, when you see the glass sides and drive bay options (minus the optical of course).. but when you read the fine print, she's a solid steel case and the 5mm glass sides combined to create a case that's 35 lbs when it's empty. About 50 fully loaded.

Enjoy your new toys! :)

I finished my build out yesterday. It came out really good. The case is a monster. If was funny but as I added things to the case and did all the cabling I found myself having to work around the case. There was not much moving the case around that is, I simply had to move myself around it :p

How about a picture, with Internals and Parts picker.

How about a picture, with Internals and Parts picker.

Absolutely LOL !

Internals for reference:
(some stuff was pulled over from previous box)

CPU - AMD 5800X
CPU Cooler - Corsair H115i
RAM - 32GB Corsair Vengeance
Drive 1 - Samsung 980 Pro 1TB
Drive 2 - Samsung 970 EVO 500GB (from previous build)
Drive 3 - WD SATA Mechanical 4TB (from previous build)
PSU - Corsair RM850x
Optical Drive - ASUS BW-16D1HT
Sound Card - Sound Blaster AE-5 (from previous build)
GPU - AMD 5700 XT (from previous build)
Case - Corsair Obsidian Series 750D Airflow Edition
Motherboard - ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PRO (WiFi 6)

The build came out very well. The CPU was VERY hard to get and I waited months to find it and yes I slightly overpaid for it.
I actually wanted a 5900x but there were none to be had and I had the opportunity to get the 5800x at the time.
It was also a fun build but the case was WAY bigger than I realized and while it had PLENTY of room in it I
had to basically move around it LOL.

Anyways, it was fun (I LOVE building a new PC from scratch) and here are some pics for anyone interested.

Attachments

• pc1.jpg
    pc1.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 14
  • pc2.png
    pc2.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
  • pc3.jpg
    pc3.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 14
Absolutely LOL !

Internals for reference:
(some stuff was pulled over from previous box)

CPU - AMD 5800X
CPU Cooler - Corsair H115i
RAM - 32GB Corsair Vengeance
Drive 1 - Samsung 980 Pro 1TB
Drive 2 - Samsung 970 EVO 500GB (from previous build)
Drive 3 - WD SATA Mechanical 4TB (from previous build)
PSU - Corsair RM850x
Optical Drive - ASUS BW-16D1HT
Sound Card - Sound Blaster AE-5 (from previous build)
GPU - AMD 5700 XT (from previous build)
Case - Corsair Obsidian Series 750D Airflow Edition
Motherboard - ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PRO (WiFi 6)

The build came out very well. The CPU was VERY hard to get and I waited months to find it and yes I slightly overpaid for it.
I actually wanted a 5900x but there were none to be had and I had the opportunity to get the 5800x at the time.
It was also a fun build but the case was WAY bigger than I realized and while it had PLENTY of room in it I
had to basically move around it LOL.

Anyways, it was fun (I LOVE building a new PC from scratch) and here are some pics for anyone interested.
Looks very professional. I like it.

I respect your opinionView attachment 55637 View attachment 55638 View attachment 55639
Case: Lian Li 011 Dynamic XL ROG Certified
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero x570
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 CL16 64gb
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD
AIO: NZXT Kraken Z73
GPU: ASUS ROG Strix RTX 3090
PSU: EVGA Supernova 1200 P2
Fans: Lian Li UNI fan SL120x10

Just click on the attachments if you are interested in mine. There is a sad story that goes with PC, so it makes me sad to see her.:cry:

Back