• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Most Netflix streams capped at 720p

Noxious

I have the Standard HD plan (1080p not the 4k Premium one) on Netflix but when I go to download, about 80% are capped at 1280x720. Based on the other threads here I am guessing this is what Netflix is serving to AS but just wanted to get a definitive answer before requesting a refund for AS. I'd be ok with 1080p but 720p is unacceptable. Thoughts?

Here are some examples:
720p
Good Girls - Season 3 Ep 1
Lupin - Chapter 1
The Crown
The Dig
The Umbrella Academy - Season 1 Ep 1
The Witcher
Cobra Kii

1080p
Crime Scene: the Vanishing at Cecil Hotel - Season 1 Ep 1
Inception
The King

Bonus question: There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to what's downloadable in 1080p and what's in 720p. All of these shows' and films should certainly be streamed at 1080p or higher yet some are downloading at 720 and others 1080. Can anyone make sense of it?

I looked at The Dig, The Crown, and lupin and had the option of downloading at 1920 x 1080, 1280 x 720, 960 x 540, 768 x 432, and 608 x 342. Are you sure the 1920 x 1080 option was not available in the video resolution dropdown list? Are you running AS on a system/monitor that supports 1920 x 1080? I don't know the inner workings of AS but maybe NF only provides resolutions that the system can support.

As far as I remember it depends on the Country in which you live too.
Also, during the covid 19 situation, mot of the streaming providers in certain countries cut down on the resolution and or bitrate to safe bandwidth.

You're lucky to even get 1080p on the Netflix side. AnyStream is using a loophole to that end to offer 1080p, a loophole that can be closed at any time. The product page even initially said '720p' initially. Now as to the 'unacceptable' part, AnyStream only shows you, what it itself gets offered from the provider. For the record 720p is also HD, it's called 'HD Ready' and is the precursor to the layer developed 'Full HD'.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

All of these shows' and films should certainly be streamed at 1080p or higher yet some are downloading at 720 and others 1080. Can anyone make sense of it?
I am afraid you should address Netflix with this question. Just as @Ch3vr0n said "AnyStream only shows you, what it itself gets offered from the provider". If you think otherwise, we'd appreciate a log file.

You may want to check your playback data usage in your profile. When I originally set up Netflix, I lived in an area that had data capping, so I throttled how much I could download. To do so, sign into your netflix account, then on the right side, click onto "account". Go to profiles/parental control settings. Click onto the profile you're using and scroll down to "playback settings". Click on "high". Now, if 1080 is available for your particular show/movie, you'll be able to download it.

Maybe this helps and maybe it does not. While many videos on Netflix offered 1080 for me I have run into a good number that did not. In fact they offered some pretty odd looking resolutions (960 x 540, 768 x 432). I am sure some of them it may have been due to age or whatever else but it's been on enough of them where it looked wrong to me. Granted that does not mean much but I am just trying to help with a potential issue. Log file attached.

Attachments

• Copy.astlog
    283.2 KB · Views: 1
Was it the "Seventh Son" that you had problem with in this log file?
According to the log, the only resolutions in the manifest were: 768x432 and 960x540

Was it the "Seventh Son" that you had problem with in this log file?
According to the log, the only resolutions in the manifest were: 768x432 and 960x540

That is correct. And yes that is what displayed as options. It just seems very weird for that to be the only options available for modern movies. I understand that is just my perception and that I might be incorrect. I just saw the thread and figured I would post a log file in the event it helped something. I am not complaining.

That is correct. And yes that is what displayed as options. It just seems very weird for that to be the only options available for modern movies. I understand that is just my perception and that I might be incorrect. I just saw the thread and figured I would post a log file in the event it helped something. I am not complaining.

What providers offer to browsers (where they have no control) is not necessarily what they can offer in their dedicated apps (where they have full control), and more often than not is dictated by licencing terms I suspect, just like with "4K".

Double check your Netflix profile to make sure it's set to give you the best quality rather than "auto".
  • Go to Account
  • Scroll down to Profiles
  • Expand your profile settings by clicking on the profile
  • Go down to Playback settings
  • Change Data Usage per Screen to "High"
This also fixed some issues where I was being offered just a 540p version of some videos and now am offered 1080p. Note: Not all movies are HD / 1080P.

Double check your Netflix profile to make sure it's set to give you the best quality rather than "auto".
  • Go to Account
  • Scroll down to Profiles
  • Expand your profile settings by clicking on the profile
  • Go down to Playback settings
  • Change Data Usage per Screen to "High"
This also fixed some issues where I was being offered just a 540p version of some videos and now am offered 1080p. Note: Not all movies are HD / 1080P.

Hi VonB,

I have to say I was pretty pumped when I read your post. I didn't know that setting existed because my wife subscribes to N and I subscribe to P.
I made the changes to my profile to deliver the highest quality. The default was auto apparently. However, for the titles that I doublechecked, unfortunately none of them returned results greater than SD quality. I'm aware that not all titles are available in HD, however, I know that most of the one's I checked are, but just not through AS. This was still very helpful advice though.

These are a combination of US and Canada titles.
Titles checked:

• Alvin and The Chipmunks Meet Frankenstein (2013)
  • Big Miracle (2012)
  • Carlito's Way (1993)
  • Casper (1995)
  • Children of Men (2006)
  • Doom (2005)
  • Hail, Ceasar! (2016)
  • Incarnate (2020)
  • Johnny English (2003)
  • Johnny English Reborn (2012)
  • Johnny English Strikes Again (2018)
  • Les Miserables (2012)
  • Mamma Mia! 2 Here We Go Again (2018)
  • Mummy 1 (1999)
  • Mummy 2 Returns (2001)
  • Mummy 3 Tomb of the Dragon Emperor (2008)
  • Pacific Rim 2 Uprising (2018)
  • ParaNorman (2012)
  • Red Dragon (2002)
  • Role Models (2008)
  • Scorpion King 1 (2002)
  • Scorpion King 5 Book of Souls (2018)
  • Selfless (2015)
  • Unbroken (2014)

Back