• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Split Tunnel (VPN) by Provider

zero269

I've been using the Split Tunnel feature in NordVPN where I can make only AS run through the VPN connection in order to check for titles outside the US library.

When I do this, I am pretty much unable to use the P-provider because they detect the vpn connection and basically limit content.

Is there a way to split the processes for these two providers? Something that I can choose to tell only the N-provider to run through vpn while leaving the P-provider going through directly to the internet; not through vpn?

In Task Manager I see AnyStream.exe and one subprocess: Qt Qtwebengineprocess
I take it this sub process serves both providers....?
Ether way, it would be nice to split them for vpn reasons.

Thanks

Split tunneling is a weird one. I used to use nord and if I had that feature enabled but allowed chrome to bypass it, I could never get on amazon's website. Got tired of it in the end and just turn it on and off when required.

Just from a network perspective I could see that causing issues. For example, if Nord is tunneling just the AS traffic your DNS queries are possibly not tunneled which might cause confusion. So for example, when querying for CDN networks to pull the actual stream you might get DNS answers for your home country/location but then you are connected with AS to NORD you have that connected someplace else. I can think of multiple scenarios like that which might cause weird things to happen. In fact it might even be tipping them off that you are on a VPN.

Split tunneling is a weird one. I used to use nord and if I had that feature enabled but allowed chrome to bypass it, I could never get on amazon's website. Got tired of it in the end and just turn it on and off when required.

KPJD53,
The split tunneling allows you to choose applications and/or processes that you want to run through the vpn client instead of the entire computer.
I tend to use vpn only for the purpose of AS; specifically with the N provider for an expanded library. If I was able to select a PROCESS that only the N provider was using, then I would be able to use the P provider without vpn considering there is no value in it that I can see at this time.

Just from a network perspective I could see that causing issues. For example, if Nord is tunneling just the AS traffic your DNS queries are possibly not tunneled which might cause confusion. So for example, when querying for CDN networks to pull the actual stream you might get DNS answers for your home country/location but then you are connected with AS to NORD you have that connected someplace else. I can think of multiple scenarios like that which might cause weird things to happen. In fact it might even be tipping them off that you are on a VPN.

From what I gather, AS will send and receive all Internet traffic through the vpn client based on how Nord’s “Split Tunneling” feature works. I’m not sure how a query from within AS could bypass the vpn and query from my location.

So far I’ve had a great deal of success with it, but I’m currently limited to using only the N provider when I’m grabbing titles outside the US.

It’s not a big deal, but I like to multitask and run both providers simultaneously when I can. Switching N from Canada to Brazil for the purpose of N available titles will interfere with the P provider in which I don’t need the connection for, thus limiting my content.

If the processes were split between providers - similar to running separate processes for Windows Explorer - this I think would be a great benefit for both User and the AS application. If the process for N hangs, for example, then P may continue to run. Only the programmers can answer that question.

I’m not sure how a query from within AS could bypass the vpn and query from my location.

Well that's just my point kind of. It could be that AS is sending it's DNS queries directly (possibly DNS over HTTPS like some browsers do now) but I think it is also possible (and maybe likely) that it's handing it off to the operating system. In which case might not be going across the tunnel. It would be something worth testing to see exactly how Nord handles it but I don't use a VPN so I cannot. Would be interesting though.

Back