• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Feature Request: Save as MKV

muffintastic

What are the chances of having an option to save as an MKV without using 3rd party conversion tools, and keeping the same quality as the source downloaded.

If subtitles embedded:
ffmpeg -i <input.mp4> -c:v copy -map 0:v -c:a copy -map 0:a -c:s copy -map 0:s -f matroska <output.mkv>
If no subtitles or subtitles not embedded:
ffmpeg -i <input.mp4> -c:v copy -map 0:v -c:a copy -map 0:a -f matroska <output.mkv>

If subtitles embedded:
ffmpeg -i <input.mp4> -c:v copy -map 0:v -c:a copy -map 0:a -c:s copy -map 0:s -f matroska <output.mkv>
If no subtitles or subtitles not embedded:
ffmpeg -i <input.mp4> -c:v copy -map 0:v -c:a copy -map 0:a -f matroska <output.mkv>

You shouldn't need to be that verbose

Code:
... -c copy -map 0 ...

should suffice, and -f ... should be guessed from the output filename ;)

Nice, I'm still pretty new to using ffmpeg.

You're doing better than most: tons of people who've been using ffmpeg for ages don't know that they could pick out video/audio/subs streams with :v :a :s respectively, here's another trick for you: if you want to select specific audio or subtitle stream you can suffix its index after the :a or :s, like 0:a:0 will pick the first audio stream and 0:a:1 will pick the second, and so on...

This might be a little off topic.. Sorry.. Can MKVToolNix be also used to cut a pre-defined beginning or ending off a video/ audio and subtitles while batch converting files to MKV? If so, where can I find the settings/ variables within MKVToolNix? Sorry..Still learning. Thanks

Main issue with MkvToolNix is the lack of subtitle support when converting MP4->MKV container. Other than that it’s an excellent tool, and frequently updated (if someone knows how to retain the subs without having to extract/add them back in, please share). And of course cmdline ffmpeg always for the win!

I’m good with MP4 as it’s more ubiquitous than even MKV. But in general, I always rip to MKV when I want a container format.

Main issue with MkvToolNix is the lack of subtitle support when converting MP4->MKV container. Other than that it’s an excellent tool, and frequently updated (if someone knows how to retain the subs without having to extract/add them back in, please share). And of course cmdline ffmpeg always for the win!

I’m good with MP4 as it’s more ubiquitous than even MKV. But in general, I always rip to MKV when I want a container format.

There is no other way than to extract them first. Boris doesn't want to support MP4 Timed Text.

You can always do what i do. Tell anystream you want your subs in .srt, combined with the seperate .mp4 file its a piece of cake combining that into an mkv with a selectable subtitle track if you want an mkv.

Back