• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Best drive for ripping, storing, burning and watching UHD 4K in 2021?

Dominick_7

Hi, i've looked through a number of threads but noticed they were dated from 2018 and 2019, in here its more recent for 2020 but i wanted to see what you thought was the best way to go about viewing, ripping, storing and backing up 4k UHD discs for 2021? Seems the only place i can find the recommended LG BH16NS55 is from the uk, but i wonder if PAL and plug options wont make it useless for the US.

i use a Eurocom "super computer" Sky Z7 notebook/desktop replacement with top specs, an NVIDIA 2080 super max, i9 10900 cpu, currently with a 1080p 240hz screen that im looking to upgrade to a 144hz 4k screen when they become available. Would like to rip UHD discs to store on the TVS-871 QNAP server so i can stream them from there via plex or its native apps. i'm guessing the best way to do that is Makemkv.

As with most new notebooks it seems, it doesn't come with a blu ray drive, so i've been using a thin Pioneer BDR-XD05B which i was told could handle UHD discs but apparently it can't. Based on this set up, i'm lead to believe i'll need a 4k drive and enclosure and either will need to keep the firmware as is without updating it or i'll need to search for the right old firmware and flash that through some complicated process. i picked up a new Lord of the Rings extended edition 4k collectors box set realizing after the fact that i have no way as of present to view it or rip it and have acquired a few other UHD titles as well. i've been looking at the LG WH16NS40 drive and Vantec NST-536S3-BK, but which 4k UHD drive and enclosure, but would you recommend as best for 2021 for use with Redfox and Makemkv?

Please read through this:

https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/guide-for-flashing-uhd-drives-for-anydvd.79023/

Don't buy the BH16NS40 as there are sometimes old versions on sale that are not UHD compatible.

Buy an USB enclosure, e.g. OWC Mercury Pro.

You would have more options for just Makemkv but these are yours if you want to use AnyDVD as well.

Thanks for the reply. Is the Vantek enclosure not good? i picked it up because others recommended it, and didn't think i'd hear back from anyone as another thread went silent. Also out of the 4 drives whats the reason you only recommend the last 2, cost alone, features..?

The Vantec enclosure is also OK.

The other drives bear the risk that are old types with the MT1939 chip instead of the MT1959 chip. The LG BH16NS55 and the ASUS were only made with the MT1959 chip and there are no versions with MT1939.

The Vantec enclosure is also OK.

The other drives bear the risk that are old types with the MT1939 chip instead of the MT1959 chip. The LG BH16NS55 and the ASUS were only made with the MT1959 chip and there are no versions with MT1939.

Cool k. Between the ASUS and LG you'd recommend the LG? The only one i see online is in the uk.. its more so i'm guessing its better quality than the ASUS.. i can find the ASUS, am i missing anything if i go with the ASUS over the LG?

It really doesn't matter. Look which is available for you at at which price. Personally I have 2 LG BH16NS55 and both are flashed to ASUS 3.10 MK.

It really doesn't matter. Look which is available for you at at which price. Personally I have 2 LG BH16NS55 and both are flashed to ASUS 3.10 MK.

Thanks for clarifying and for the guide. Hope i can get the firmware working ok so i can finally watch LOTR in 4k.

Good luck! I'm pretty sure you will be successful. If any issues arise let me know. We will find solutions.

That's what's the forum for ;)

Indeed thank you. K so the ASUS BW-16D1HT arrived, i put it in the OWC Mercury Pro enclosure, connected it to the notebook, installed MakeMKV, rebooted. So i just need to unzip the SDFToolflasher and unzip the mk firmwares, put the firmware ASUS-BW-16D1HT-3.10-WM01601-211901041014 in the same folder as the flasher and just flash it, correct? Do i need to put a check in the enc box?

Last edited:
Anyone? i so called purchased the license for MakeMKV, but just need to know if i need to put a check in the enc check box. Also, do i need to backup or dump the original firmware it came with first and/or do anything else before flashing it?

No check of the enc box as far as I know. But doing so won't hurt. I just wouldn't flash. If unsuccessful try with enc checked.

No check of the enc box as far as I know. But doing so won't hurt. I just wouldn't flash. If unsuccessful try with enc checked.

Thanks for the reply. What do you mean you wouldn't flash?

If you check enc and the firmware is not an ecrypted one the flash process would just fail but it would not compromise your drive.

Let me know when it was succesful. Should be just a matter of minutes.

Let me know when it was succesful. Should be just a matter of minutes.
Sweet! It works! At least for the 4 things it went from saying possible to Yes! Thanks.

Drive Information
OS device name: F:
Manufacturer: ASUS
Product: BW-16D1HT
Revision: 3.10
Serial number:
Firmware date: 2119-01-04 10:14
Bus encryption flags: 1F

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform:
Firmware type: Patched (microcode access re-enabled)
Firmware version: 3.10
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Yes

No disc inserted

But yea enc checked didnt work, the firmware isn't encrypted so it worked without that checked off. Thanks! Will test it out.

Report back please.

Happy UHD ripping!

Checked seems to have worked, tested it with the Lord Of The Rings - The Fellowship Of The Ring in 4k, skipping around, one part in the beginning credits gets a bit jumbled for a second but the rest looks good. Cant tell fully what it looks like till i acquire a 4k screen but seems to work. But does the jumbled picture, similar to when theres pixelation with too low of cable tv signal, get caused by the drive? Is that an indication it may have issues? Or is it related to an incorrect firmware flash? Thanks man.

Back