• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Powerdvd 20 and integrated graphics Chip required

Jamie

Hi,

Sorry to resurrect this old topic but I need one little clarification regarding Powerdvd 20 and the requirement that you need an intel graphics chip to play HDR discs.

I got the following quote from the next to last post in this thread. https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/uhd...0x-nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080.78671/#post-518031

"I will clear this up once and for all to avoid further confusion.​

If the disc is protected with AACS, SGX *IS* required in ALL versions of PowerDVD. Period.​

If the protection has been removed (unprotected ISO, folder rip, AnyDVD real time decryption of an actual disc) the SGX requirement is not enforced and you can then play that UHD content on any hardware that supports it (nVidia, AMD, Intel, etc). But only in later versions of PowerDVD 19 and in all versions of PowerDVD 20. Any prior version of PowerDVD will NOT allow this to work."​

A friend of mine said that even though SGX was not needed an error popped up stating that an intel integrated graphics chip was required to play HDR. Is this true and is there a way around this so called requirement? I know that JRIVER allows you to work around this problem does Powerdvd 20 allow a work around too? Why allow PCs to no longer need SGX but require that they use an intel APU?

My friend prefers using AMD and I just want to make sure I understand what I need before getting a UHD htpc and powerdvd 20. I do have jriver but I want to see if Powerdvd is as good as I have heard. I have used powerdvd in the past but I am annoyed by the intel SGX thing.

A friend of mine said that even though SGX was not needed an error popped up stating that an intel integrated graphics chip was required to play HDR. Is this true and is there a way around this so called requirement?
No. But maybe AMD support is broken. Wouldn't surprise me.

No. But maybe AMD support is broken. Wouldn't surprise me.

Will an nvidia graphics card work better and have you had success with PowerDVD 20 and nvidia

No. Uhd requires using SGX which is Intel. Any discrete GPU 'breaks' the SGX secure environment and won't work in disc playback. Afaik file base (uhd mkv for example) doesn't suffer that drawback.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

No. Uhd requires using SGX which is Intel. Any discrete GPU 'breaks' the SGX secure environment and won't work in disc playback. Afaik file base (uhd mkv for example) doesn't suffer that drawback.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

According to the thread I mentioned SGX graphics is not needed for Powerdvd 20 if you are playing a decrypted disk. I would like to hear from someone who tested powerdvd 20 to see if the intel integrated graphics is still required. James seems to hint that a graphics card should work and I was wondering if @James or @SamuriHL has had any success with Nvidia cards?

Thanks,

Jamie

Will an nvidia graphics card work better and have you had success with PowerDVD 20 and nvidia
Yes. I tried it, when PowerDVD 20 was released. You fire up AnyDVD, insert your original disc, adjust subtitle transparency to your liking ;) and off you go. Can't you check yourself with the PowerDVD Demo version?

What James said. I've cleared this up multiple times so I wish people would understand this point.

If AACS is present, SGX/Intel and all the garbage requirements are in place.

If AACS is NOT present, none of that crap is needed and it'll play just fine on any capable GPU.

nVidia is all I've tested. No idea if AMD works, but, nVidia definitely does.

P.S. On your original question about JRiver vs PowerDVD 20. I own both. The last time I opened PowerDVD 20 for anything was.....ummmmm.....not sure. JRiver gives you the ability to use madvr for tone mapping. Trust me when I tell you that this is what you want. People pay 10 grand US to buy a box that gives them that same thing. All you need is a decent video card and some patience to learn how to configure madvr properly for your display and you'll have the best tone mapping you can get.

Yes. I tried it, when PowerDVD 20 was released. You fire up AnyDVD, insert your original disc, adjust subtitle transparency to your liking ;) and off you go. Can't you check yourself with the PowerDVD Demo version?

I am just getting things together for building a new HTPC. The intel requirement would have limited what I can buy for parts. I have been reying on a friiend who has a AMD gpu and powerdvd 20. He is getting an NVidia gpu when it arrives through postal delivery.

It'll work fine for non-AACS protected content (AnyDVD running, unprotected ISO, folder, whatever) on an nVidia GPU.

P.S. On your original question about JRiver vs PowerDVD 20. I own both. The last time I opened PowerDVD 20 for anything was.....ummmmm.....not sure. JRiver gives you the ability to use madvr for tone mapping. Trust me when I tell you that this is what you want. People pay 10 grand US to buy a box that gives them that same thing. All you need is a decent video card and some patience to learn how to configure madvr properly for your display and you'll have the best tone mapping you can get.

Thanks for you advice. I have tried madvr and it is still daunting on how to set it up. I will give it anoother shot though.

It is daunting because it's still being worked on in "beta builds" and things are more confusing than ever right now. But if you find someone who's posted their settings in the beta tread for madvr on AVSForum, and start there as a base, you will then be able to tweak that and see how it goes for you. Do not post in the AVSForum beta thread about setting it up, though. It's strictly for people to help improve HDR tone mapping. There is also a support thread where people might be able to help you tweak it.

Or forget the HTPC setup (which will take more time for maintenance than you have for watching movies), use CloneBD to create mkvs, get an Nvidia Shield TV with Kodi and be very happy. ;)
Just my humble opinion.

Last edited:
Back